Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My next mini project.........heated mirrors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alloy
T56 Elitist

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: My next mini project.........heated mirrors Reply with quote

Won these today on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270090147910&rd=1,1

From what I read these directly bolt onto our cars and are indentical. My thinking is if they are identical, then I'd guess only the mirror glass and mount would be different with the defroster built into it. The housings should be the same. I'd hope GM wouldn't spend the money to change the inside of them, just add the defrost to existing mirrors. I'm hoping I can pop the glass and mount off and put into my housings, then just wire the defroster up. I'll update when I get them and let everyone know.

Geez.......I paid for them over two hours ago.........why aren't they here yet???
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, let me know how it works out. Zee Audi, has auto-dimming, heated mirrors, and I love them. Heated mirrors on the camaro would be awsome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm hoping I can get this to work. I've looked on TGO and a number of people talk about doing this, but no one has tried it yet. Well it's gonna cost me $57 to try it. If it doesn't work, I'll put them back on ebay and sell them and recoup some of my money.

I haven't looked at my power mirror wiring yet, but I did find a few pics of the some heated vette mirrors and the wire connectors. My plan is if the internals will transfer into my mirror housings is to tap off the defroster circuit for the rear glass. Plan on using the circuit to turn a relay on to power the mirrors. That way I have the timer feature on them just like the rear defroster has and no extra switches. I want it to look totally stock and the only thing you will see different is the little heated mirror symbol on the glass.

I got the black mirrors instead of the red ones in the pics thinking I have black hood louvers, black mirrors might not look too bad if the guts won't transfer into my housings. Just have to see how it all works out I guess.

Dang.......about three hours now since I paid for them........are they here yet???? Where is "brown" when you need them???

rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, my Freightliner truck has heated mirrors and they kick ass. Thumbs up
BigDaddyVu
12sec Club

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you drive a fruit can? my corn binder has them and on the convex too

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wondered this but never knew if the bases were the same (the angle at which it mounts to the door). Checked a few local yards a couple years ago and forgot about it after that.

It'd definately be awesome. Let us know how it turns out.

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here is a pic I found on TGO. Can't really tell for sure if they are the same, they look very close. Should know in a week or so I hope. Anyone got an old power mirror laying around I could use for comparision without taking one of mine off??? I'd return it after comparing them.

alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something else I'm going to try and see if they fit. Saw on birdy on TGO that had them, they are cheap so what the heck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130069085191&rd=1,1

alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the deflectors today and just temparily put one on the left side. The fit is great and the looks are incredible. They can either be mounted with screws to the side of the mirror, or double sided tape. Both are included.

I'm not going to mount them just yet, still waiting for my heated mirrors to get here. The guy didn't even ship them til yesterday. I don't want to have to fight the deflectors or possibly break them messing with the heated mirrors when and if they ever get here.

Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like those, I think i'll have to get a pair one of these day's....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder what they'd look like painted body color...
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not bad, but they look good like that too. I may have to get some.
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it took almost a friggin month to get my mirrors from the idiot on Ebay, excuse after excuse, but they came in yesterday. They are an exact duplicate of our mirrors except for the lens plate with the heated lens glued on it. I had a feeling GM wouldn't change the design and they didn't. The lens will just pop onto our positioners with no mods at all. But........when I say pop on you must do it "gently". It was cold out his morning when I took my right lens off my car to take pics and compare everything, and I cracked the lens putting it back on. (No big deal......I'm replacing it anyway) I think the combination of the cold plastic and no lube on the little pins did it. So, be careful putting your lens on.

Anyway, all that's needed is to run the wires and set up a relay to power the mirror defrosters. I'm going to run a trigger wire off the rear window defroster. It will turn on a relay and I'll have the timer feature like the rear defroster does. Clean and simple, no extra wires or switches showing, no holes cut into my dash. The ONLY way you will know I've done the mod is the little heated symbol on the left mirror lens, and clear mirrors on a cold morning Wink

Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet dan!

I'll bet those deflectors really help if your triangle seals are on the fritz.

M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome.

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get these wired up?

I've been thinking that someone should just use epoxy to glue some wire wound resistors to the back of a factory non-heated mirrors and using a relay to connect it to the rear defrosters

Any progress on the swap?

89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got these a day or so ago, so no, haven't done much yet. Maybe on my days off next week. And as far as a swap, it's not really a swap. The mirror lenses are a direct interchange with my stock ones, they just pop into my mirrors. So all that's left will be a small wiring job. Not really enough to call it a swap.
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you going to relay it off of the rear defrosters?
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, going to use the rear defroster wire to power a relay that turns the mirrors on, and then off with the built in timer that the rear defroster has. According to what I've found out, the mirrors only have a 5 amp fuse in the vetts, hardly worth doing a relay, but not sure if I just tapped into the rear defog power it would mess up the timer feature with the extra load. A relay has practically no load, so that shouldn't mess up the timer feature.
Sellmanb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]http://www.alldatapro.com/alldata/PRO~V53220179~C668~R0~OB0~P5R3H~N/0/34870067/42416776[/img]

(we'll see if that works or not)... that's the wiring diagram from alldata on a 1988 Corvette ( i couldnt find exact year of those mirrors, took a wild guess)

That's w/ electronic A/C, not manual. Figure that's what you were headed for. Hope it helps if you want an idea of what factory did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: