Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

engine gasket

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miamivice

1982 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: engine gasket Reply with quote

i took my 87 TA to the shop this mornin for its 3 month service and they just called me and said that the engine gasket needs to be replaced. they want to charge 700 some odd dollars to fix it, is that reasonable???

i have no mechanical skill (although i do plan on learning some day) so i dont really know whats going on....

i also told them the rear end was leaking and they quoted me 250 dollars. does that ound about right?//

thanks for your help in advance
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what exactly is an 'engine gasket'

just a mechanic using that term sounds fishy.

where is the leak on the diff? if it is the pinion seal 250, may be fair, if it is the diff cover, $10 and 30min of you time can take care of that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
miamivice

1982 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i talked to the tech again, he said its not the head gasket but gasket that seperates the oil and the coolant...down by the intake manifold i think. the engine has 150,000 miles on it, so i dont really want to spend 800 dollars to get it fixed. im thinking the best thing for me to do would probably be invest in a 350 for it.......

what'd yall think?
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey bud, sounds like they are talking intake manifold gaskets. Not too expensive... with TPI there are a lot of bolts but nothing unmanageable even for a starting wrench (like me Wink ). I'm not saying that they are trying to rip you off because I don't know how much time they are figuring or their rate. I can say that that is WAY too much money for intake manifold gaskets.

As far as the rear end, where is it leaking from? That could be a very inexpensive fix that you could do yourself.

There are also lots of great folks up your way that I would bet would be willing to help out. Maybe they will pipe in here. No reason for you to spend that kind of money.

-Schultzy

12.73 @ 109.39, 1.793 60 \ 11.794 @ 121.16, 1.62 60 (old combo)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jess
Administrator

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey316 wrote:
where is the leak on the diff? if it is the pinion seal 250, may be fair.

I had the pinion seal replaced on the 95, ~$50 bucks for the seal, labor and topping off the diff...
Flyte risk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jess wrote:
I had the pinion seal replaced on the 95, ~$50 bucks for the seal, labor and topping off the diff...

Parts and 1/2 hr labor, thats about right. For $250 I want dinner and a kiss first.

The only "engine gasket" I can think of that seperates the oil and coolant is the head gaskets. $800 is still steep for that too. A better question is what is the lube and oil guy doing trying to talk you into $1k worth of shop labor? Buisness been slow around there lately?
miamivice

1982 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, i took care of the rear end and just left the old gasket in there...he said it would be ok, but eventualy the coolant will seep into the oil causing the engine to cease up.

anyways, im plannin on throwin a 5.7 litre in there this summer Very Happy
BigDaddyVu
12sec Club

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just retorque the bolts. aluminum bolted to iron usually don't stay tight due too the difference of the coefficeint expansion. everyone go out to your car and tighten your intake bolts i'll bet you'll get at least a 1/4 turn on the wrench.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get the 1/4 turn Sad

Very Happy

-Schultzy

12.73 @ 109.39, 1.793 60 \ 11.794 @ 121.16, 1.62 60 (old combo)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: