Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

got a question about trannys

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: got a question about trannys Reply with quote

when im drivin my car and im in drive sometimes it seems like it shifts to od when i slow down then accelerate again. i dont know much about the 700r4 so i have no idea what it could be. anyone familiar with them and might know what the problem is?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure its in D. Not supposed to shift into OD if the shifter is only in D. It's possible its the torque converter clutch locking and unlocking, aswell as the computer's deceleration mode.
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im positive its in drive, how would i check the computer acceleration and deceleration to see if its workin ok?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are settings in the chip that take away fuel as you decel, or shut off all fuell all together.
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any way to fix it if its the problem?
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt that it is a problem. Otherwise you'd need a new chip or something.
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess ill have to take it to ashop and see what they say. its startin to make me mad. lol
PonchoTA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet if you watch it, you'll find that it happens during a pretty specific speed range (like between 50-60 mph or so)
One of the bad "habits" those trans had was "hunting" around the OD speed. Some ranges, it literally can't figure out what you want to do, so it does what it thinks you want to do. Unfortunately, it is usually exactly wrong.
You can try to stop that by not putting into the OD position until you get on the highway. Just leave it in D for general driving around.

I had the same type of prob. when I had the Grand Prix. Even the fwd versions had this characteristic. Just reaffirmed my dislike for automatics altogether! Went out and bought a 5 speed. Granted, it is on a Sunfire, but still! Laughing

In other words, unless the shifting is especially harsh, or something is obviously very wrong, don't worry about it, it is normal!

hth
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it happens at slow speeds like 10-30 mph. i always have it in drive until i hit the highway then i go into od. its kinda like it bogs a bit. like its starvin for gas but when i press the gas down farther it downshifts back into drive and drives like normal.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it's shifting back into drive, or down into 2nd? Sounds like it's shifting down in to 2nd. Pay attention the next time it downshifts and see if it ends up... UP shifting back into D as you get around 35-40mph.

Have you adjusted your TV cable lately and properly?
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinkin maybe the tv cable but i dont know how to adjust it and i didnt want to mess it up. i think it is shiftin to 2nd cuz the rpms jump when it does it. how do i properly adjust the tv cable?
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go under the hood, push the metal looking thing at the bracket, then slide the part that the actual cable pops out of, back toward that metal tab as far as it will go. If it doesn't move, you're not pushing the metal tab in all the way.

Then, get back in the car, and floor the pedal(engine off) you'll hear ratcheting and it will feel stiff. Then when you are WOT all the ratcheting stopped, it's adjusted, and go for a test drive.

Sounds like the tranny is trying to shift early into 3rd gear which is why its boggy. I forget which way you slide the adjuster to make it shift later or sooner, but that's the way to generally adjust it. See if it makes a difference.
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help. im gonna do it tommorow after work. i jsut got off a 12 hr shift and im beat. lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: