Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instrument panel grounds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Instrument panel grounds Reply with quote

I hate the copper traces on the mylar backside of these insrument panels. This weekend, on my 89 I replaced all of the lights (half of which were burned out). When I put it pack in, the brake indicator was on constantly, the right blinker indicator didn't indicate, and 2 or 3 other lights didn't light. I fixed the brake indicator - the ground trace on the edge of the mylar slid up and made contact with the ground trace for the light. I soldered a trace back together (easier than I thought it would be) by bridging the break to fix one light. I bent the "prongs" of the right blinker socket forward a bit so they made better contact with the copper traces. All seemed to be working well until this morning. About 3 lights on the right side of the panel (for tach and oil pressure) initially light, then go out after a few miles, and tonight, the tach went on its own and the oil pressure gauge went to zero at the same time for a couple of minutes. Looks like I have another ground trace to find and repair. If it keeps up, I may have more wire on the back side than copper traces.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried bridging with wire on my truck when I put a dash tach in. Didnt take long for the wires to break the milar. Finally gave up and ordered a tach style printed circuit. Installing that dash tach was the stupidest thing I ever did on the truck. Paid $75 at the swap meet for a new tach.. thought wow what a deal. They want $350 for an original tach dash..

Well, about $300 later I finally got the tach and dash back together. So much for my good deal.

Hope you have better luck then I did. Should be easy enough to find a new printed circuit though if you have to.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to "borrow" a few feet of 24 - 30 awg wire from work and find some of that black duct tape and go after it this weekend by bridging the appropriate traces and taping the wires down.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I fixed my "ground" problem. Happened not to be a ground at all, but a broken trace for 12V to the lights themselves (last 3 in the string). the break would keep contact until it warmed up enough to cauce the mylar to flex a little, causing the line to open.

See the red wire I used to bridge the break. I also removed the copper trace where I made the bridge.

I also had a problem with the VSS wires interfering with the connector under the speedo, so I had to move them up out of the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: