Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

v8 subframe wanted for my 86

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanarunhard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: v8 subframe wanted for my 86 Reply with quote

k check it out i would like to switch whole subrame out on my 86 five speed 2.8 to v8 any one have this?
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the subframes are the same on v8 and v6 cars. the only thing different in that region are brakelines and engine mounts... both of which will attach to any subframe, they use different sets of holes. both sets of holes are present on all models. there is a sticky on TGO about swapping v8s into v6s, it has alot of info on it. would be worth a read to save you some hassle.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/engine-swap/229665-v6-v8-swap-read.html

what you need to purchase are v8 engine mounts (i would just go new on these) and the hardlines for the front brakes from a v8 car, i would go to the junkyard. however, if you are carefull you can probably rebend your current hardlines to bolt to the v8 hardline holes. they only need to move about 4 inches and there is plenty of extra line to facilitate this.

EDIT* excerpt from the TGO sticky:
Quote:
11. The engine mounts are two pieces; one half bolts to the chassis cross-member, the other "clam shell" to the engine. The chassis half is available as a replacement from the dealer or aftermarket. Reports vary on the engine half - may be able to get from the dealer, may work from some truck models, etc. - best bet is to get them from a factory equiped 3rd gen V8. The chassis half is mounted to the rear-most holes for the V6, and the forward-most for the V8. Getting to the mount nuts inside the cross-member is easiest when the front A-arms are dropped, but figure on using a spring compressor if you go this route (see #14, below). Otherwise, figure on sockets/extension/u-joint/very small hands/lots of time/many colorful words getting to those nuts. The right/front brake line mounts to the front of the crossmember for the V6, right where the V8 mounts need to go. Either use the V8 factory line, or carefully bend the line to the rear of the crossmember after the mounts are removed from the V6 position. The p-clamp mount holes are there for the V8 position for this line. Side note: '82-'84 used SAE-type brake fittings, '85-up used metric.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Wanted All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: