Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

code 24 question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jules91Z28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: code 24 question Reply with quote

Hi , I am not great at posting but I have a question for those that remember me I have a 1991 Z28 and its giving me the code 24 VSS so I called the mechanic and he said my car dont have a speed sensor somthing about in the dashboard , my speedo dont work untill the car has been running awhile ?? and once my tach started jumping and couldnt keep it running but no new code was set?? and it never did that again if anyone has any ideas it would be great. thank you
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you do have a VSS, all the 90-92 camaros have electronic speeds, with a VSS sensor in the tailshaft on the tranny, it is possible for it to go bad. you can try replacing the sensor, and see what that does.

also, out of curiosity, does your speedo read correctly? if it does, a new VSS may not fix it, the issue may be in the computer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jules91Z28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help , I dont beleive the speedo is correct. It bounces around alot then my service engine light soon comes on I called a dealership to order the sensor and they told me I dont have one he supposedly called chevrolet, I dont know I hate to spend the money on a mechanic again when a sensor could just be changed, I have the service manual for my car from a dealership repair shop but I think you need a class just to read the darn thing ..... I will try to talk my hubby into jacking it up again and looking , thank you
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the speedo bouncing around too, i'd almost bet its the sensor. It's super easy to change too. You should be able to pick one up at good autoparts stores too. The sensor goes in the hole at the back of the trans where the speedo cable used to go. It's held in with a single bolt and a clamp.. Should have 2 wires going to it. You may have to pull the sensor out and take it with you to get the right one though. I believe they made 3 different ones depending on what gear ratio was in your rear end.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had my speedo cable unplugged, it took about 15mi till it set a code. Though mine is a cable not electric.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brandon, i thought they all used the same sensor, since they are diffrent speedo gears that drive it. IIRC they are all like 2k pulses-per-mile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jules91Z28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so frustrated , why is it not in any of the books for the part number , going to try nappa later today , I tried schucks , a actual chev dealer they all think I am a stupid girl who knows nothing I asked why would my car give a code 24 which says VSS if i didnt have one????? thanks
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i beleive the GM part number is

if brandon is correct (which he usualy is) i don't know if that is the correct one for your appliction.

is your car a 5speed or auto? i am pretty sure that that part number is for a 5speed car.

it might give you something to work off of though, although the GM list price on that is $94 and some change Shocked
Jules91Z28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you !! its a automatic do you recomend a place to order it ??
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can verify that IS the correct part number.

gmpartsdirect.com

i beleive it is only like $50 from them. but before you order, call a dealer, find out if that is in fact the right one. you might also pull the sensor you have, and head to a dealer with it, then you can confirm what you need.
90RSrocks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten more incorrect parts and bad advice from Chevy dealerships than anywhere else. I think the only prerequesite for working in the parts dept is a pulse. Rolling Eyes
Jules91Z28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

90RSrocks wrote:
I've gotten more incorrect parts and bad advice from Chevy dealerships than anywhere else. I think the only prerequesite for working in the parts dept is a pulse. Rolling Eyes

they are the ones that said I dont even have one !!!
Jules91Z28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok sounds dumb but how do I know if I have a Lo3 5.0 v8
or a LB9 5.0 ?? I know its a vin F thanks again
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIN F is LB9
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

L03 is TBI
LB9 is TPI Vin F
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John when you change the rear gears the speedo gear ends up having to be different sizes to keep the right # of pulses per mile. Since the gear ends up being bigger the center of the shaft has to be moved away from the transmissions tailshaft to accomodate. This is why theres 3 sensors. No real change in the sensors other than the shaft is more ofset on some of them.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went to the online Napa site. They show 3 different speed sensors.

Part# VSS207 Should be for an automatic. Original is stamped with a D81. $31.49

Part# VSS206 Again should be for an auto. Original is stamped with a D8N. $58.49

The only one that didn't say auto was part # VSS218 Stamped with #D8G or D8M.. $71.49

I wouldnt take the auto/stick part of the catalog as gospel. Our catalogs are wrong all the time on things like that. Look at your original and see what the stamping #'s are. If your luck is like mine it'll be the $71.49 one.
Jules91Z28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys are awsome thank you all so much , after much begging and threatening to find me a new husband he pulled it out tonight and picked up the part and works great now !!!!!!!! and I called my chev mechanic and told him you guys all helped and his computer was stupid saying I didnt even have one Rolling Eyes anyway thanks so much and looking forward to some gatherings
Red91RSCamaro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I would have read this thread a few days ago seeing that my stupid VSS cable came unplugged from the sensor. There was a really easy way to find out which one you needed just by looking at your RPO codes inside your console (that's how I found mine). I just hope I never have to replace the stupid thing seeing that it is the $71 dollar one.
Thanks to Mike G. for crawling under my car and finding that the cable was disconnected, saved me a few bucks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: