Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paint Gun

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Paint Gun Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2464392626&category=43997

Seems like a decent gun for the price, should be good to spray a sealer, primer, and paint.

Any opinions?

Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HVLP guns are nice cause they use about 50% less paint. But what size compressor do you have? HVLP stands for High Volume Low Pressure. These guns usually use a ton of air. Make sure your compressor can keep up or you'll be in trouble. I've only been using the old fashioned high pressure gun myself. It's actually a bit easier to spray i guess, but the biggest reason is it fits my compressor. Cost me $150 for the gun. $40 for the cup. $50 for the water seperator. $30 for the regulator. $10 for the gun moisture filters. Then I use a mini regulator at the gun as well.
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent bought a compressor yet, I figured I would buy it around the gun.

Any advice?

Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard some of the taiwan/chinese guns are pretty good. Some are copies of name brand tools. And on some the parts will even interchange. I dont know what size orifices and needles you need, theyre a totally different setup then what I use. For a compressor get at least a 5hp, but for hvlp you may even need bigger. Also dont get the oilless ones, they're much noisier, don't last as long, and dont seem to put out as much air either. Cast iron pump is a nice feature, though if you arent using the compressor alot its not needed. Last time I was in home depot they had a pretty decent compressor on sale.. 6hp 60 gallon.. less than $400.. The bigger the tank the less moisture problems you'll have. Keeps the compressor from running so often, the more it runs the more it heats the air and the more moisture you get.

I've got a 5hp oil type 33gallon Sears compressor. Its about the least you can get by with. But its held up excellent. 8 paint jobs and lots of mechanic work. Just starting to develop a slight rod knock when cold. I dont think it'll run most hvlp guns though.
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So high tank size keeps down moisture, what does HP equate to?

I mean, if a 5hp 33 gallon is barely enough would a 6hp 30gal be ok?
..just as an example.

Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you need to look at more than hp.. used to be hp was a good way to figure out how much air the compressor would pump. Now they have cfm ratings @ psi right on the compressor. Usually it'll tell you how many cfm @ 40 psi, and how much at 80 psi. The highest users of air would be the DA sander,spray gun, or sandblaster. If you plan on using any of those check the cfm required at what pressure, then buy a compressor to match. You'll notice all of those things use air continuously so the cfm really matters. Something like an impact wrench might use alot of air but you only use it for a few seconds. This is where you're tank size comes in. Even if the motor is small if the tank is big you can run a tool for awhile before it runs dead. Kind of like having a bigger battery.

I've noticed that alot of 6hp compressors have smaller ratings then my old 5hp. Looking at compressors and lawnmowers gives me the feeling that horses must be shrinking. More and more hp to do the same job at the same rate.

33 gallon is bare minimum. I wish I'd bought a 60!
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
Actually you need to look at more than hp.. used to be hp was a good way to figure out how much air the compressor would pump. Now they have cfm ratings @ psi right on the compressor. Usually it'll tell you how many cfm @ 40 psi, and how much at 80 psi. The highest users of air would be the DA sander,spray gun, or sandblaster. If you plan on using any of those check the cfm required at what pressure, then buy a compressor to match. You'll notice all of those things use air continuously so the cfm really matters. Something like an impact wrench might use alot of air but you only use it for a few seconds. This is where you're tank size comes in. Even if the motor is small if the tank is big you can run a tool for awhile before it runs dead. Kind of like having a bigger battery.

I've noticed that alot of 6hp compressors have smaller ratings then my old 5hp. Looking at compressors and lawnmowers gives me the feeling that horses must be shrinking. More and more hp to do the same job at the same rate.

33 gallon is bare minimum. I wish I'd bought a 60!

Man... Thanks a lot, you always got an answer Very Happy

My only issue with a 60, is they are huge, and I have no room... And even I did have room, my parents are moving this summer and something like a 60 gallon air compressor cannot come to college with me.

Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thing about a 60 though is that they are vertical usually. Actually takes less floor space then the smaller horizontal units.
z28redline

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go big and you'll never regret it! I had a sears 20 gallon but it bit the dust about two months ago. It was a good compressor but was to small for me and my dad so were upgrading to a little bigger unit very soon. A 5hp 80 gallon made for industrial use to be exact. I also got a friend whos going to give me a big water seperator. Don't know if I'm going to try painting myself yet but I'll sure be able to keep my options open. Hey chevymad maybe you should come up north when I get it all working and you can show me hows its done Very Happy
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet 80 gallon industrial.. probably 2 stage too.. Wish I had something like that actually.. maybe the next one. And actually I try not to paint much. .Just keepin up with my own stuff is more then plenty paint work. I really really dislike it. The bodywork and sanding is boring, other then welding in panels. And the spraying is just stressfull.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: