Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost third gear....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Lost third gear.... Reply with quote

1-2 shift is fine, second gear winds up fine, but as soon as it hits around 3500 RPM's.... slip city. Rolling Eyes Tranny fluid is full, a little on the dim side, not bright red like it was a month ago, but not totally burnt.

Any ideas on decent shops around here that aren't going to screw me?

**Edit: Damn.... now I'm debating. If I take it to a shop, I wont have to touch the f***er, but I'll end up with either a rebuilt stocker 700R4, or mine with new bands, and I'll just sit and wait for something else to go wrong.

On the other hand, I could drop somewhere in the neighborhood of $1600 for a built tranny, something along these lines:

http://www.700r4l60e.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=20

I'd have to install it myself (gonna be a bear with only one floor jack, and no grarage at all) but I'd end up much better off. Of course I'd have to drive the Ford for a couple months while I put away some cash. I can't just go and drop that much. Embarassed

**Edit 2: It also occures to me that I could by a cheap used stocker, throw my B&M shift kit and whatever else (servos, ect.) and just burn it up. Total cost would be like $100 and a weekend. Rolling Eyes
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pro-builts are supposed to be excellent. Everything i've ever read about shift kits and the 700 says to stay away from a b&m kit.. far away. Transgo is the only one i've seen recommended.. but its spendy. I'm at the same point with my 2004r, b&m $59, transgo $129..and the actual recommendation was to go to CK performance which is higher yet then transgo! Shocked

If you're staying auto and don't know a good shop. Get the probuilt or just slap a used tranny in. I know a shop in longview i trust, but it would depend on how many hp.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if I had any cash to drop, I'd pick up a Pro-Built and a Trans-Go, but I don't. I might have a shop install a used tranny. I only have one floor jack, and I'm not really set up for the swap.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asdfga3 wrote:
Yeah, if I had any cash to drop, I'd pick up a Pro-Built and a Trans-Go, but I don't. I might have a shop install a used tranny. I only have one floor jack, and I'm not really set up for the swap.

Shop rebuilt 700R4 installed look in the neighborhood of $1800 from a reputible shop.

I wish I had gone Pro Built back then. It'd still have it today.
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

word. pay me now or pay me three more times Evil or Very Mad

this is what led me to the 5 speed.

good luck man.

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
90droptoproc

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same reason I changed the 91 Z to a 5 spd, three auto's in one year bah
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: