Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

yes its time
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danked
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: yes its time Reply with quote

3.1L or 3.4L wanted ~ for payment i will offer cash, but i have a motorcycle up for sale if anyones interested as payment, 84? yamaha 650 special
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you get a second mechanics opinion?
Danked
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its too much hassle putting it together and towing it on a trailer on the back of my station wagon, id rather just deal with a new motor then i dont have to worry about something else breaking real soon
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like i said over PMs, it's your money... but if i were you i would spend some on a second opinion.
Danked
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah tony i know, but i just want something thats reliable, if i put a new motor it will be reliable, and i dont have to worry about going to seattle for a weekend and something going out
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point. especialy if you find a low mialage 3.4.
Danked
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and besides when i took the valve covers off and wiped my finger around the valve springs, there was metal, so im guessing the whole freakin inside of my engine has metal floating around and clogged in filters, thats one of the reasons id like to have either a replacement, low mileage 3.1 or a decent 50k - 70k 3.4L
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would REAAAALLLY clean out the heads and intake maniflod so none of that crap gets in your new block.
Danked
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to brag or nothin, grandma buying me a brand new motor and paying for it to be installed, when this crap gets done maybe ill go to a meeting and chill with some of you for a day or 2 Smile
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude. awsome. grandmas kick ass.
my grandma and grampa are paying for my schooling... [spookey] from beyond the grave[/spooky]. they left me dough. Smile

so is she getting you a 3.1 or 3.4 ? probably a 3.1 i would imagine. also yeah, we would love to see ya. next big gathering is probably going to be the canadian mountain challange. a bunch of us are going to go "canyon carving" through the wild canadian highway system. that is where the V6s will shine (those with good suspension anyway) since they are better ballanced. that and the V8s with Ws6 and upgraded breaks (IE: me! if i get my KYBs and LS1 brakes on by then Rolling Eyes ) if not i will be part of the V6 auxilery. Very Happy
Danked
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would it be easy for a mech to swap a 3.4 in? if not, id rather just go with a 3.1, even tho like u said the 3.4 is a better motor, id just like to not u know, make her pay like $3k, id like to keep it as low as possible around the $1.2k and below area, im going to aim for like either a low mileage or rebuilt, but i doubt ill find a rebuilt for under $1200 alone Rolling Eyes
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, you will probably be looking for a "longblock". a longblock means block, rotating assembly (crank, pistons...), and loaded heads (IE you don't have to do anything to them).

it will NOT include an oil pan, oil pump, valve covers, timing chain, timing chain cover, accessories (water pump, Alternator, PS pump etc..) plugs, intake manifold, or any inblock sensors.

this means if you pay somone to do this for you ($$$!!!) they will essentialy be pulling all of that stuff off of your current 3.1 block and putting it on the new 3.1 (3.4?) block. ether way it will be the exact same ammount of work weather it's a 3.1 or 3.4 WITH ONE EXEPTION! you will need to get some 3.4 injectors. thats it. the blocks themselves should be just about the same amount of money. i would call a few places and see whats up. perhaps PM Alhasse and ask him where he got his block. the first one he got was kinda messed up but they replaced it for free and paid to have it installed. (we did it ourselves the first time)

keep in mind though that having this engine put in is probably going to run you $800+ on shoptime alone. the block will be another $800-$2000 depending on how reputable of a company you go with. there are some nice remanufactured blocks out there, that will go just as long as an original GM engine, and there are some blocks that are going to last about 30K and then take a dump.

just be carefull what you spend your money on.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The place I went with requires a one for one exchange for a core (3.1 for 3.1) and the core must be rebuildable. They will decide wheather or not it's rebuildable before they refund you for the core.

http://www.powerpro2000.com/lb_chevrolet.htm

You're looking at engine part number DCB7

Main page

http://www.powerpro2000.com/

I was sent a new bock free of charge, however the labor for installation of the warranty replacement is paid up front by me, will receive refund after they inspect the motor for manufacuring defects (only $40/hr up to $450, standard mechanic's rate is about $80). I paid $1400 labor to exchange this latest motor. Not alot for a refund, but since I did't pay for labor the first time, I think I'm out a total of about $3500 (long block and labor). For just under $1600, plus $250 core, you can have the long block shipped to your door, return shipping for the core is prepaid.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me it would be worth the 250$ core charge i would be out to go 3.4 Very Happy
Danked
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ima just buy a motor and have my mechanic install it, i dont care about some core charge since im not paying for it, but i dont want to spend $200 on high performance fuel injectors. but idk i have some decisions to make and i have some time to think about what im going to do thanks for the tips guys
Danked
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

should i do it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-Only-Chevy-Camaro-3-1L-used-engine-with-warranty_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQitemZ7977022856QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna add up to around 1K with shipping. Do you have a quote on the install yet?
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't buy an engine on ebay. go through somone local. IMO
Danked
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its about $785 with shipping ive looked locally, no junk yards have anything, when i needed my egr valve i had to take it off a chevy lumina lucky it worked, anyways, i could just have it shipped to the mech, the labor for r&r is $630, so like 1500 total, dont think its bad even though the damn car aint worth that much.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at it this way man:

Cost of engine
+
Cost of install
+
Cost to replace everything else wrong with the car
(tranny mount, paint, suspension, ect.)
+
Price you originally paid for the car
=?

If this is higher than the total value of the car to you, or the cost of an equivelant replacement, you've got a problem.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/car/172525064.html
Edit: Just for refference: you could buy this for $1600, get a radiator for under $200. Plus, you get better paint. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Wanted All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: