Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LG4 is dead.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: LG4 is dead. Reply with quote

So with a whopping 10 miles with a new carb and distributor........the LG4 decided to give up the ghost..........

#8 has thrown a rod.......

there is a nice clean dent in the valve cover and the thing started pissing oil out. had it in the driveway for about 30 seconds and 1/2 a quart is sitting on my garage floor.

Was driving it around today, shifting low, anything more than 1/2 throttle would make bad sounds like a valve rattling. Comming off 82nd and Burnside (only went on a small test run today) made a clunk sound and there was a SEVERE loss of compression. Flip the hazards on and take it out of gear. Stalls. Start it up while still rolling in neutral. Starter is cranking and cranking cranking...nothing. I roll to a stop spend about 10 minutes screwing with it and finally get it started and barely running. I creep it home down burnside going about 10mph waiving traffic by me.

Got the thing about halfway up the driveway and it made a loud sound like a Hammer hitting the crossmember. Stalled. and smoke was pouring out the cowl. Wouldn't even crank after that. Pushed it the rest of the driveway into the garage. Oil is all over my driveway and my garage floor. Opened the hood to smoke that smelled distictly like burning oil. Oil is all over the valve cover, alternator, fender wells and theres a big dent on the valve cover passenger bank on the furthest cylinder. Took the Valve cover off, and sure enough pushrod is pressed against the valve cover. The rocker arm is pushed off the valve, the lock is broken, and the retainer is sitting at a cockeyed angle off the spring.

she's dead.

Looks like I'll be parting her out and junking her too.....

Body is not worth the investment of a crate motor.

If anyone wants anything...lemmie know.

Berlinetta is also going up for sale too.

I'm finished.

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs down

Sorry to hear that, man. What are you planning on picking up now?
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a bummer dude. There is an L03 for sale, you could use the bottom end, and run that....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sucks. Looks like you had good judgement bringing the 4th gen to Cows.

We can rebuild it... better, faster, stronger!

Seriously - you are going to get rid of these? You going to get another thirdgen?

-Schultzy

12.73 @ 109.39, 1.793 60 \ 11.794 @ 121.16, 1.62 60 (old combo)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its ok man! You gonna get another one I hope? We don't wanna loose you
~JAKE

QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a pretty lousy day. It certainly stinks to have a problem of that magnitude.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, its turned out to be a pretty S---tty day.........

Taking the heads and intake off tomorrow, all the pushrods out and seeing what kind of shape my bottom end is in.

not sure what the next plan is........Ideally I'd like to just redo the heads with the set of 1.94/1.50 valves I got from bobby, locks, retainers, valve seats, and probably change to screw in studs and PUSHROD GUIDE PLATES. I'll probably have the valve guides shortened so I can put a cam with a Max .490 lift in there safely.

Also thinking of 290hp GM Goodwrench 350 long block. comes with a 3 year 12k mile warrenty. its a 4 bolt block and might be more cost efficent in the long run.

guess I'd better start saving now.

Rolling Eyes gotta love a new challenge....

Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

condolances man. i have felt sad ever since you called me earlier today. you know i am up for towing that thing anywhere it needs to go.

you should talk to that guy @ my appartment with the 92. it has been sitting for long enough i think he has got the hint that 5K for a stock 305 is a bit much Rolling Eyes he might be getting to that "i just want it gone" stage.
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That certainly is a PIA buddy but from these challenges good things can happen.

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is somthing i never thought i would see. mrs. "garage queen" 2006 parked in deep grass next to someones barn with a bad engine... Shocked
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning: Several Martini's and three beers may taint this post.

I think for now I'm Probably gonna get rid of the 85 Z/28 and the 86 Berlinetta. I'll do some parting if any crewbies are intrested. Brandon I think wants a 700R4...and Wolfy wants the Heater setup for the car. I'm sure there's miscelaneous other parts people will want between the two cars too.

I remembered something John once said in a post. He said that these weren't really rare cars that pretty much I'd be better off to save my money and get something that is almost exactly what I want. So that's where I'm at now.

Ideally I'm wanting a Black with Gray zebra stripe interior 1984 Camaro Z/28 with an L69 and 5sp. Hardtop. Crank windows and locks. Heater only. No rear defrost. 2 speed wipers without cruise. Something that's got less than 200K orginal miles on it. I figure for what I'm looking for I'll be shelling out close to 4K for it. If its got just about everying I want, that's ok with me. It'll be a good runner until I decide to start modifying. I like my 85 Z/28. Its just got some really cool oddities that I like; like no rear defrost, Key only rear hatch, Crank windows, key only locks, and some rare RPO, as it doesn't have a tilt column. I already have the Grey Zebra stripe interior (its just so 80's cool...) I've considered fixing the body and keeping as most every thing else is swapped the way I want it. The only thing I'd have to do is the 140mph gauge cluster, Dash and AC delete, and obviously get the rear damage addressed.

I dunno..............its a hard call. there's so much I can see that should be done with that car, I'd hate to just give up on it, but I should probably keep my goals realistic.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not keep the '85 for parts, and then buy an old L69 and swap in the stuff you want like the hatch and interior?
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get parts anywhere. IMHO get what you want.

However, I'd care less the shape of the engine or milage. If the body was in good repair meaning it does't need a paint job... and the interior is good or you have interior for it... I'd go that way.

Then I'd make the motor what I want, etc.

I picked up my car for $2300. 305 peanut and ditched it.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the 8-6-4-2 Cylinder head off (passenger bank) yesterday. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the bottom end.

only the pushrod that hit appears to be bent, all the others didnt have bends too bad (two others did, but I could only get a .010 feeler gauge under them) were super straight when rolled on a granite cutting board.

Couldn't get the exhaust manifold bolts off the other side, and I think I stripped the nut a little too much where the Y-pipe meets the manifold, so that side still has the cylinder head on it. I really don't want to cut the pipe if I don't have to. but its looking like Dad and I are gonna cut all the exhaust off with the sawzall.

Thinking about a minor port job on them while they're off. I have headers that'll will be going back on it once its all together. My friend Rob is doing most of the machine work for me for next to nothing.

To quote the shultz...

"We can rebuilt her....Better...Faster...Stronger!!"

Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know thta he was quoting the begining theme of "the six million dollar man" right? "we can rebuilt him, we have the technolowgy. better, faster, stronger"
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I did know that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's time for a head/cam/intake swap for that 305 so this time you can get the job done right and really throw a rod Wink lol.

John's very right about this. He told me the same thing. Buy a 3rd gen that's got a good body, just needs a rear end, or tranny, or motor... chances are you'll replace all 3 of those pieces in whatever car you get anyways (the grass is always greener on the other side I supposed).
Faded

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a guy here in Montana that's been trying to sell an 87 Iroc Convertible with a Turbo Buick 3.8 for $5500, or just the engine and transmission for $2500. Something to consider. Smile
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montana's a long way to drive.

Tony and I squared down a full 305 in Salem, so I'm gonna try my luck with that thing.

I may be down.........but I ain't out yet...

Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faded wrote:
There's a guy here in Montana that's been trying to sell an 87 Iroc Convertible with a Turbo Buick 3.8 for $5500, or just the engine and transmission for $2500. Something to consider. Smile

i think i remember him building that. he used ot be on www.turbobuick.com forums right? it was a cool swap from what i remember. if it's the same guy he is the one that convinced me NOT to do the swap in my 2.8. (well one of many)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: