Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upper End suggestions....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Upper End suggestions.... Reply with quote

Looking for a good HEI Distributor and coil (prefrably one that mounts on top of the distributor) for a basically stock LG4 305. All emissions have been deleted except the fuel evap cannister and EGR..those are staying for now. Considering a remanufactured Q-jet for carburation (don't like the Edlebrock/carter/weber carbs). Prefer something that will operate reliably for daily use but will also respond well to mild power upgrades (exhaust, headers, Intake manifold and possibly cam and timing chain set later on).

Also considering doing Intake manifold at the same time since I have the carb and distributor off the car...as far as intake is concerned, I'm torn between the Edlebrock Performer and the Weiland Action Plus. the Weiland I think will do me better with more performance upgrades...

Also doing a 160 degree thermostat with the Carb and Distributor.

Any suggestions? Ideas?

The Hammer

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it sounds like you have some problems working on carbs Wink the 600 Edelbrock would work great on your mild combo. They are simple and realy easy to adjust and tune. Why don't you like them? I had one on my car for quite a while until it became a restriction.

You could get a junkyard HEI distributor and put a new cap and rotor and prolly be good to go. You shouldn't need to spend tons of $'s there right now.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't get a parts store reman q-jet. That is unless you like to change carbs over and over till you get a good one. Nothing wrong with a good q-jet though. It will get you good reliable power and decent mileage. Throttle response seems to come in somewhere between a holley and the edlebrock.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just thinking. Is the LG4 intake you have now aluminum? If so it's pretty much equivalent to a performer allready. Some say its even better then the edlebrock. Might be a place to save money.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon,
My manifold looks to be aluminum...I'll see if I can take some de-greaser/carb cleaner over it and find a casting number. I have 3 Q-jets, Two are missing there base plates and have two attaching screws on the bottom that attach the base plate to the main body, and two long ones that go through the top. The CC Q-jet off the LG4 is the only one with a base plate, but it has four attaching screws on the base plate and two through the top. Other than than, it'd fit perfectly on the other two. Shrug
I'll probably rebuild the Q-jet myself. If not I know a guy who has always done a good job on rebuilds in the past...only charges about $100 to rebuild and that includes parts.

Hammer,
Its not that I don't like the design of the Edlebrock/carter, Its a fairly reliable and easy design to work on..HOWEVER.. I've worked on 3 different cars that have had them installed, and they all would want to run full rich and any attempts to lean them out would cause severe shuttering or stalling, even with clean spark plugs. Checked the vaccum at idle from both the distributor and carb and seemed to read exactly as it was spesified in the shop manuals (one was a Dodge the other two were Chevy's) ...I think its probably like the parts store Reman Q-jets Brandon talked about, and these ones were just bad. Its just made me a little apprehensive about putting one on my car. I've also heard other horror stories about other Edlebrock parts...except the intake manifolds..I figure with a manifold they can't possibly screw that up, since it has no moving parts. Wink

Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My edlebrock carb was actaully way lean. Had lean surge all the time till i richened it out a step and half. Everybody else says they're always rich. Main thing to look at when rebuilding a q-jet.. look at how much play is in the throttle shaft. If its worn too much it won't run right at all. I bought a reamer/bushing kit to rebuild these. I think i still have enough for another carb. You coming to cows? If so it might be possible to rebush the baseplate while you're here. Most rebuild companies don't do this.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thirdgen.org/hei

great tech article on TGO about taking your carbed engine to non computer controlled. i read up until it said "advanced setup" and then i realised i was filling my heaad with shizzle i will never need to know.
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pertronix Flamethrower HEI Rebuild Kit ... I was most happy with it... its a new coil/cap/rotor/module/springs and, this is possibly just me, better than the MSD (well, at the time, pricing of course was a bit different then too)

Soon to be less than stock
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
My edlebrock carb was actaully way lean. Had lean surge all the time till i richened it out a step and half. Everybody else says they're always rich. Main thing to look at when rebuilding a q-jet.. look at how much play is in the throttle shaft. If its worn too much it won't run right at all. I bought a reamer/bushing kit to rebuild these. I think i still have enough for another carb. You coming to cows? If so it might be possible to rebush the baseplate while you're here. Most rebuild companies don't do this.

I probably won't have it together by cows.....I'll bring both the non Computer Q-jet bodies with me. I always take a set of tools with me...........(since hearing about John and Paul on the side of the highway a couple years ago)

I work on it a little up there.

The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quasi-Traction wrote:
since hearing about John and Paul on the side of the highway a couple years ago)

It was in the driveway as we were trying to leave. But it was still 102*.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey316 wrote:
Quasi-Traction wrote:
since hearing about John and Paul on the side of the highway a couple years ago)

It was in the driveway as we were trying to leave. But it was still 102*.

Hehe we were prepared for the highway though!

Chris, If I were you I'd go pick up a dizzy from napa for one of the older years. They are pretty much the same throughout aslong as it's not computer controlled. I've got a newer hypertech cap/coil combo that doesn't have many miles on it, if you want it for a few bones.

Easy as pie to hook up.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep the Hypertech in mind paul..

My next question was going to be if I can reuse the stock Coil/Cap since they're in good shape.

Went with Tony to a couple different junkyards. Couldn't find a baseplate that fit...either the bottom screws were different or It didn't have fuel mixture screws, Saw one that might have worked at Damascus U-pull but it'd been in an engine fire, and I didn't feel good about taking that one. They did have an Edlebrock carb there for $45 with an Electric choke. Thinking about going back and snagging that one. Not sure I can really afford it now though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: