Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Pumps... are they supposed to whine?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Fuel Pumps... are they supposed to whine? Reply with quote

Just wondering, Love's LS1 has about 40k on the clock now, and since she's owned it the fuel pump whines when she's accelerating...

is that normal? I never noticed it with any of the thirdgens, nor with the beretta or anything else fuel injected...

:dunno: Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure about LS1's the Audi's fuel pump whines, and you can hear it working all the time (unless you turn up the radio) and from everyone i talk to, that is normal for the audi's.

i did a quick search on LS1Tech.com and they seem to say that whining is a bad deal. but they said theirs died shortly after the whine started, how long as she owned the car?

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70913&highlight=Fuel+Pump+Whine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

she's had it about 6 months, put about 14k miles on it during that time and its been doing it since she's had it... doesn't really have any problems besides being noticable when the radio is quiet...

notice it more at quarter of a tank but its there even with a full tank and its not whining from heat or anything at all...

don't know...
maybe her birthday present will be a fuel pump (if not, its going to be SFCs Surprised )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TecherB
Princess B

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried changing the fuel filter you might be hearing it because it is working to hard because the fuel filter is cloged
sllt1776

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine doesn't whine...but it hums. it has always done it. mostly when i first turn the car on, just before i crank it. so far no problems. maybe someone before you put in a larger aftermarket one. some of those things are loud as hell.
bAd DaWg 85 Z28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine whines when you first turn on the car it's more noticeable when the tank is close to 1/4 full. If it's been over a year i would change the fuel filter what the hell there only five bucks!!!!!!.......... Very Happy
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the filter before doing anything. They're really not supposed to whine, but i've seen some last years doing it. Inside alot of pumps there are 2 gears meshing, if a particle of anything ever gets into the pump it can stick in these gears. Then it starts making the whining noise. If enough trash gets into the pump then it can open up the clearances and make the pump fail.

But like Bart said, a plugged filter will make it whine too. So start there.
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
Change the filter before doing anything. They're really not supposed to whine, but i've seen some last years doing it. Inside alot of pumps there are 2 gears meshing, if a particle of anything ever gets into the pump it can stick in these gears. Then it starts making the whining noise. If enough trash gets into the pump then it can open up the clearances and make the pump fail.

But like Bart said, a plugged filter will make it whine too. So start there.
will do...

after filling the tank up yesterday, it whines a lot more when the tank is full, and only seems to hum a little bit on 1/4 tank... :dunno: f***ing weird is what it is... lol

but I'll get the fuel filter done on it first and see how it goes... just hoping that theres nothing wrong with it because I don't want to have her stranded when I don't have a car down here yet...

also another question...
err...

ok maybe not, I lost my train of thought...
err...
hmm
doo de doo...
uhh...
oh!!

oh yeah, ok...

sometimes the starter seems to be heatsoaked... its been happening since she's had the car but the dealership can never find anything wrong with it... after it sits for about 15 minutes it'll finally start, but up until that 15 minutes, doesn't even get a click click click or anything... just seems completely dead ...

is this a charging issue or something else?
I know when the cable came off of mine it was completely dead, but never really seen a car that will just be completely dead for awhile then be perfectly fine...
its not even all the time after driving, its just randomly when we stop and go into a store, sometimes its fine, other times we have to wait...
sllt1776

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a remote solenoid kit. it's like 30 buck. i was having the same exact issue and it just gets worse. they sell them at jegs and summit. i haven't had a problem since.
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sllt1776 wrote:
get a remote solenoid kit. it's like 30 buck. i was having the same exact issue and it just gets worse. they sell them at jegs and summit. i haven't had a problem since.
veddy interestink...

I may have to bring that up with her...

any idea what would cause the problem in the first place though?
sllt1776

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gm's design. the solenoid on the starter is very close to the exhaust. over time it fails. you can replace the starter or solenoid and it will work again, for a while but the remote solenoid is the only fix for it.( not totally true, there are heat shields for the starter/solenoid but this is my preferred method)
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so stevie... where did you relocate it to? I must know...

and give me details on this type of thing, never done it before, I was using a DEI shield on my plug wires and starter but can't use them for this car because they're in washington
sllt1776

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically the remote solenoid is like fords method. you can put it where ever you want. i chose near the battery just in front of the coolant over flow tank. on the fender. then just follow the directions. i didn't buy the kit with a new battery cable so i had to go buy one to suit my needs length wise. it was pretty easy. it was becomming a must. sometimes it would take an hour to cool off enough.
TecherB
Princess B

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this might be a little late but here is a nice article about installing remote solinoid

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/148_0312_hot/

"He looks like Donky Kong from Mario Kart."
BigDaddyVu
12sec Club

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: whino Reply with quote

my 86 t/a started to whine when i ran out of fuel and eventually it stopped working the mechanic said never run out of gas with a car equiped with a electric fuel pump it uses the fuel to lube the pump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a caution on using a remote solenoid. IF you have a gear reduction mini starter dont do the remote solenoid. Mini starters use permanent magnet motors. When you release the key the motor will become a generator. This creates enough current to keep the solenoid engaged, which will keep the motor cranking till you disconnect the battery. Old style starters have wound fields instead, so when you release the key the current drops out and the starter stops.
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm assuming the ls1 has just your normal starter? Surprised

Soon to be less than stock
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lt1s on up should have the mini starter.
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well now wtf do i do?

Sad

Soon to be less than stock
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demon wrote:
well now wtf do i do?

Go to this website ---> What Would Demon Do?

12.73 @ 109.39, 1.793 60 \ 11.794 @ 121.16, 1.62 60 (old combo)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: