Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Name That Part (Game Show Music Plays..)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Name That Part (Game Show Music Plays..) Reply with quote

Alright, most of you will probably say, "Man if you don't know what that is, then I highly suggest you go back and plan on NOT doing an engine and transmission swap"

Well... I completely understand, but I got a lot of help from my buddies so it shouldn't be a problem, but none of them are familiar with domestics, so we are all taking a crash course here.

I know #1 is part of the AC, #2 is most likely power steering, #3 is water pump, and #4 is just timing... But I have no idea about number 5.. correct me where i am wrong.

I have no idea what these are, they look like filters of some sort... And those two hoses are for the HEATER correct? So as long as they stay intact my heater and defroster will still work?

No clue... My best guess is that it something to do with emissions... Taking a long shot... EGR?

Here is a small metal pipe that lead to the air cleaner area... No clue what it is... And those hoses. Where do they go?

Thanks a lot
err.. Thanks way more then alot.
-Eric

Administrator

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#5 on picture #1 is your air (smog) pump

The ? deal on picture #3 I'm pretty sure is an emissions deal (Charcol canister or something like that I think)

#3 on the last picture looks like emissions or heating system.
PonchoTA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Name That Part (Game Show Music Plays..) Reply with quote

Midnight Sun wrote:
Alright, most of you will probably say, "Man if you don't know what that is, then I highly suggest you go back and plan on NOT doing an engine and transmission swap"

Well... I completely understand, but I got a lot of help from my buddies so it shouldn't be a problem, but none of them are familiar with domestics, so we are all taking a crash course here.

I know #1 is part of the AC, #2 is most likely power steering, #3 is water pump, and #4 is just timing... But I have no idea about number 5.. correct me where i am wrong.

More correctly, #4 is your crankshaft pulley. It is in front of your harmonic balancer which IS used for your timing. #5 is your AIR pump (smog pump) (Air Injection Reactor) Puts low psi air into you exhaust manifolds at the ports to continue the burn process, preventing unburned fuel from getting into the catalytic converter.

I have no idea what these are, they look like filters of some sort... And those two hoses are for the HEATER correct? So as long as they stay intact my heater and defroster will still work?

Those 2 hoses together labelled "Heat?" are your heater hoses going into the heater core inside the car. The fan blower inside the car will blow air past that and the air gets heated up, which in turn heats up the inside of the car. (Yes, being sarcastic! Get over it!)
The circled ? directly below (I think) is your water temp sensor switch. Prevents full advance and carb secondary from opening until the car gets fully warmed up. Other circled ?, I have no idea, can't see it well enough.

No clue... My best guess is that it something to do with emissions... Taking a long shot... EGR?

Yes, that is the charcoal canister for emissions. It holds gas vapors in check (the ones that can't be returned to the gas tank) until the car is started next, and pipes those vapors into the carb to be burned along with the rest of the fuel. Pretty harmless, and light. You won't even know it's there. (BTW, your EGR will be a metal circle-looking thing next to and behind the carb. IIRC, it has a metal pipe going into it, and you should have a EGR solenoid attached to that too. Useless, and noisy when disconnected!!

Here is a small metal pipe that lead to the air cleaner area... No clue what it is... And those hoses. Where do they go?

Circled ? is your breather vent into the air cleaner. Acts in conjunction with the PCV valve (other valve cover) to allow the engine to "breathe" and not get internally pressurized. Otherwise, you'd be blowing oil all over the engine bay!
Hoses #1, and #2 and the valve in between are for the AIR pump output. These send the slightly pressurized air into the AIR manifolds (looks like little pipes sticking into the exhaust manifold.)
#3, no idea, can't see it well enough.

Thanks a lot
err.. Thanks way more then alot. (thAn) Very Happy (sorry, pet peeve!)
-Eric

Hope this helps!
Paul
PonchoTA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, the purple arrow points to your EGR, just FYI.

Paul
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks a milliong Paul.

You seem to be my number go to guy in project "Fix That Piece of Sh*t"

Thanks a million

-Eric

(then... than.... God bless publik ejukashun.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight Sun wrote:
Wow, thanks a milliong Paul.

You seem to be my number go to guy in project "Fix That Piece of Sh*t"

Thanks a million

-Eric

(then... than.... God bless publik ejukashun.)

Don't talk to me about that!! I grew up and went to school 45 min. SE of Mobile, AL!! You just about can't get any more "Dixie" than that!!
I can speak and spell correctly, I expect everyone else should as well! Especially those from more afluent areas of the country!

Number? Probably "#1"!! I'll take that as a compliment! Thanks!

I might be willing to trade labor hours if you are willing to help out with my other car... Ummm, unless I get that job down in SoCal! Laughing :fingerscrossed:

I had fun working on my T/A, and I think I might remember a thing or 2! Laughing

G/L,
Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: