Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The never ending "wont start" thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sellmanb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: The never ending "wont start" thread Reply with quote

You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge of part names, and can feel free to fill me in..

Biggest problem currently I believe... after a couple intake gasket swaps (think I got it right this time lmao) is that the flaps on top of the carb dont turn up nearly at all (only the smaller ones, I'm guessing secondaries?) will open up a smidgen when I put it to WOT when the motor isnt running and I just push the throttle bracket.

It's my understanding that there's got to be a correct amount of air/fuel mixture for the car to start. i believe this is my biggest problem at the moment.

How much are these flaps supposed to open up?

Thanks for any help... I really need it right about now lol.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear top flap shouldnt open at all until the secondaries open under load. The front upper flap is the choke flap. It should be shut all the way when the motors cold and then slowly open up to vertical as the motor warms up. Flooring the throttle should open the choke flap a bit so that you can clear a flooded motor. If the motor is flooded causing it to be hard to start you can prop the choke flap open with a screwdriver. Make sure its large enough not to fall into the carb. Also this can cause a backfire, especially if its flooded. So DO NOT look down into the carb, and be prepared for fire!! If you do get a small carb fire dont touch the gas, just crank the motor over till it sucks the flames down. Try not to use a powder type fire extinguisher... you'll ruin your motor...been there. It may not do this, just warning you so you're prepared.
Sellmanb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the good info Chevymad Smile

I got it all started... big deal outta nothing apparently (from what you say Smile ).

I had the dizzy 180* out... turned the rotor around, and it fired up on the first revolution...now I just need to find out where it continues to leak coolant from Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: