Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering going to UTI...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: Considering going to UTI... Reply with quote

since I'm down in houston anyway... UTI isn't all that far away... and I could take the Hot Rod U courses Wiggly wiggly

something I've been thinking about instead of my other options that I've thought about the last few years...

i could put it to use a bit better than some other things, i would hope
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know Aaron. Coroner has pretty good job security Wink

That would be cool. Then you can come back and hook your old Fbod buddies up with some radical customz yo.

How ya doin?

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schultzy89GTA wrote:
I don't know Aaron. Coroner has pretty good job security Wink

That would be cool. Then you can come back and hook your old Fbod buddies up with some radical customz yo.

How ya doin?

-Schultzy

LMAO thats true they do have a good job security... but i dunno, I could do other things too... I want to do something I can enjoy... figure if I can do a project and get myself a car that I could play with later for whatever... why not? Very Happy

Something got me thinking over the weekend...'
Went to an SCCA road race event at Texas World Speedway, and watched a bunch of interesting cars go around a 1.8 mile road course (extremely fast BMW that has been on a few different world class televised events that put about 30 seconds on the 480+hp single turbo supra that Love pit crews for Surprised among other things, like a C4 that was passing just about everything even after it spun out on the back of the track Very Happy )... not many thirdgens, but it was an outlaw class so there wasn't a whole lot to begin with... just the Supra, the C4 with who knows what for an engine, and a pair of Shelby Cobra's ... the thirdgens were in the American Sedan class with a few mustangs, some 4thgens and something other stock type things... hehe.

was fun to watch Smile
so I'm doing well Very Happy

I don't know if UTI offers something with welding, but I'm looking into a bunch of different options for things... I wouldn't mind being able to fabricate my own exhausts a la canadian mike, or build up a nice screaming engine that would hit almost 9k rpm's for something like a roadrace event to take out that supra Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would guess that UTIs program is similar to WyoTechs, in which case, depending on what classes you take, there should be a hi-performance chassis section, where you can weld and modify frames and suspensions.

i would talk to the UTI people, and maybe talk to Joe and Bart, since they are both WyoTech Alum.

the AS cars are pretty neat, i have wanted to build a AS car for quite some time. the more i look into it, the more the NASA AI/AIX looks to be the ticket, i don't know if thirdgens are as competative in the nasa races, as they are in the scca a-sedan, but it seems to me that the nasa series is where the up-and-comers in the racing world are heading.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey316 wrote:
i would guess that UTIs program is similar to WyoTechs, in which case, depending on what classes you take, there should be a hi-performance chassis section, where you can weld and modify frames and suspensions.

i would talk to the UTI people, and maybe talk to Joe and Bart, since they are both WyoTech Alum.

the AS cars are pretty neat, i have wanted to build a AS car for quite some time. the more i look into it, the more the NASA AI/AIX looks to be the ticket, i don't know if thirdgens are as competative in the nasa races, as they are in the scca a-sedan, but it seems to me that the nasa series is where the up-and-comers in the racing world are heading.
not sure... its an ASE certified program, not going to do the diesel part of it but if I feel like it, I'll do one or two other courses afterwards, including collision repair, and maybe a european automakers specialty class as well ...

they also have a nascar program hehe...
but as for the frames thing I'll check it out, basically if its not offerd there I'd like to get a welders cert. anyway just for shits n grins...

AS cars are neat, but I'd be more inclined to do something in the SP class... which basically means anything goes. Even though it'd be a thirdgen, I'd be really tempted to want to do something for an SP class eventually ... (Granted, I'd not mind taking a thirdgen with some suspension mods and whatnot and playing in the AS classes for a bit)... but after watching that corvette... Shocked I'm hooked... the corvette started dead last because they took their time even though they qualified for a first place start (Jeff in the Supra was only worried about him, didn't give much thought to the BMW because it was in a different class altogether)... put a hurtin on the entire course even after it spun out on the back of the course, didn't catch Jeff but was damn close to it...

the supra guy, Jeff Watson, is probably one of the more well known supra racers out there, pretty cool guy and some interesting information ... the supra (as much as I dislike them), was fairly nice, they switched from the stock twin turbo setup to a larger single turbo setup, but only hit 14psi for some reason or another, but they're going to put it up to 20-22 for the next race...

Smile

I'll have to get myself started sometime this year and do the driving course and get my license n shiat for that... should be fun Very Happy slim possibility I could use the girlfriends 02 Z28 Twisted Evil
TecherB
Princess B

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know a bout uti but wyotech is very strict inviroment you have to be on time at all time cant be late at all really 5 seconds is late. you need to whare the uniform and be clean shaven stay awake it is a gruling enviroment....

Never the less if you can servive the structure you will come out with all sots of knowledge and it is worth it.
Roshambo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, basically what Bart said.. lots of kids couldn't deal with the simple fact that Nikes are not work boots. Laughing

Probably your best bet would be to order a video from them, or just tour the place... easiest way to find out first hand methinks.

-Joe

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty is there a huge difference in the schools you go to, or is just like "real" colleges.

I mean... you have your Yale's and state university's then community college.

Where does a place like Lake Washington Votech stand in comparison place like Wyotech, UTI...etc.

Is it all in the name?

Administrator

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess UTI and the other big name schools have a bit more of a budget for equipment and staff, but other than that they all teach the same stuff Shrug
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UTI is far more advanced than Lake Washington Tech in all fields... never looked into wyotech because lets face it, UTI is two streets down and a block over from where I live now... Smile

My reasoning for UTI is because its close, and it seems to have a much better reputation with a lot of the engine builders and 90% of the dealerships around here and quite a few other places... not my only reasons but the distance factor is fairly good IMO...

I only wish they'd get a fire under their asses at the houston campus and get the MMI (Motorcycle Mechanics Institute) completed so I could take the harley classes as well...

another thing I like about UTI is that they offer another 6-12 months worth of schooling absolutely free, be it Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc depending on location ... Houston offers BMW and Mercedes ...

not sure on wyotech, but if I were to purchase an entrylevel snap-on mechanics toolkit, they would give me a check for $1100 upon completion of the automotive technology courses, and if I didn't purchase said kit, they would provide one for me...

Lots of perks from the school it seems, and lots of options as well...

I looked into it and they do have an underbody course, however no word on if it includes welding, so that I'd have to go do later on...

Also unlike LWTC, all the instructors are ASE Master Certified... when I was at LWTC I don't recall much of any of the instructors having that Surprised
TecherB
Princess B

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demon wrote:

another thing I like about UTI is that they offer another 6-12 months worth of schooling absolutely free, be it Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc depending on location ... Houston offers BMW and Mercedes ...

not sure on wyotech, but if I were to purchase an entrylevel snap-on mechanics toolkit, they would give me a check for $1100 upon completion of the automotive technology courses, and if I didn't purchase said kit, they would provide one for me...

I looked into it and they do have an underbody course, however no word on if it includes welding, so that I'd have to go do later on...

at wyotech tou can ger in to those same programs for Mercedes, BMW, Audi, ect.

you get a tool discount through snapon that is unreal you can get tool and tool boxes at a huge discount they say 10% but trust me it is more.

and you can take in a 6mo automotive corse 3 month chassie fabrication high proformance engines class and 3month body costimization(choptops and painting) the e 3 month classes involve a lot of welding. mig, tig, and oxyacedoline.

that is what their is at tech so you can what they ofer their. take a tour of the school and if you can meet some people that go and went their and what they think of the school
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn... those school's sound unreal.

Are they really hard to get accepted into?
I mean, I have heard of them, but they sort of seem like you need to know a lot about cars before you can even think about going there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight Sun wrote:

If you have the money you can get in. Simple as that.

-Joe

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roshambo wrote:
Midnight Sun wrote:

If you have the money you can get in. Simple as that.

-Joe
pretty much...

and financial aid isn't too hard
TecherB
Princess B

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gitting in is not the problem knowing about cars is not nessary at thech the go to the very basics because a lot of people have misconceptions about a lot of that stuff.

the hardest part is staying when you have to listen to people wining and complaining about every little thing and staying awake durring long boring lectures.
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much is tuition for these kind of places?
Princess B

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not shure what it is right now but you could check web pages and ask them

http://www.wyotech.com

i dont know what uti's is but i dont care because i did not go their.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: