Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evap issues, Tank Pressure, Car runs bad...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Evap issues, Tank Pressure, Car runs bad... Reply with quote

OK, as we all know, i have been having problems with my car Sad

First, i am running lean (according to the WB at McGee's)

i found a vacume leak, the line that goes from the TB, to the Evap cannistor was not connected to the TB.

i reconnected it, the car runs a little better, but still stumbles at part throttle, and the power still isn't there (no power comments please, i am looking for help, not to be flamed for the dyno)

after that test drive, paul and i opened the hood, we could hear a gurgling sound coming from the evap (it sounded like the engine was taking a bong hit). paul pulled the gas cap, it released ALOT of pressure. he screwed the cap back on. 5 minutes later, the evap was gurgling again. pulled the gas cap, again MORE pressure (the car was OFF the whole time) it kept building pressure for 20-30min until we just left the gas cap off, and parked the car outside. now as far as i know, the tank building that much pressure for that long, is not normal? is it possible my evap is trying to purge even with the car off? also, my pump sounds like crap when it primes, i'm going to try to test my FP and see whats going on there.

hopefully someone can clue me in here, i am lost. i don't know where to look from here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Project_1986_TA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im still trying to learn stuff myself but could it possibly be the fuel lines are cloged or getting clogged? Just a thought...
PonchoTA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John, the first thing I would do, is disconnect the lines at the rubber front and back, and blast the hell out of them with shop air! You probably have some sort of blockage somewhere. Next would be the fuel pickup. If the sock gets clogged, you'll pay hell trying to get it unstuck.

2nd thing I would do is replace the gas cap. Believe it or not, that one thing, not acting properly will cause hell to your intuitive troubleshooting sense!! Even if it's NOT bad, you'll only have spent about $5, and have a new one, eliminating that being the problem! Laughing
Just need to make sure that the one you replace it with is good too...

The reason I mention these, is because I think the evap. system is passive; it only act when driven by another component. IIRC, there is no movement until the car is started, in which case the evap gives up the vapors it was holding to be burned with the regular fuel.

The evap itself is probably not the cause, and the venting from the tank is probably a major clue.

If I think of anything else I'll post it!

G/L,
Paul
CheezX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you change any settings in the chip that could affect the purge? I know I've been running open loop for a few months and I think it wouldn't purge until closed loop, so my canister got soaked with fuel. It really smelled bad when so I just ditched it, but I don't know if you can do that with Oregon emissions.

I don't think it would build pressure if it was purging while off. Wouldn't it release pressure? Maybe the exhaust is heating up the fuel while it's sitting or something. Mine always had pressure (back when it put down ~230 rwhp Rolling Eyes )

Anyway, try disconnecting it, plug the TB line, and leave the vent line open. Then see if that makes a difference.
BigDaddyVu
12sec Club

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a common problem with the fuel injected. Check to see if you didn't switch the lines. one line comes from the fuel pump to the engine and one to the evap canister to tank and the other line is for recirulating (what the engine dosent use it sends it back to the tank).

Let me ask you this did you ever let the car run out of gas? Electric fuel pumps actually uses the fuel to lubrication when you run it dry it gets very hot (friction) and makes alot of noise and ware itself down. when the pump is runing dry it tends to lose its compresion and not getting its full psi also try doing a psi test and check your regulator. but double check your lines from the tank. only fuel vapors goes to your canister and excess fuel in the return line to the tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PonchoTA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, did you ever figure this out??

Do tell! Some of us would still like to know what the answer is!
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still working on it, i am slowly finding more issues.

i called brandon and talked to him about the issue. right now i am still ruling out things it is not.

my TPS seems to be bad, i think i am not entering PE mode when i should, that is part of the stumble.

the evap, brandon says shouldn't be an issue, but right now i have it disconnected, and am just venting the tank.

hopefully i can make more progress this weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: