Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Removing head - valve cover stud

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sellmanb

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Removing head - valve cover stud Reply with quote

So I've got the motor running finally! Only thing is that both of the valve covers leak... the driver side like a seave! I've had it running for probably 45 seconds (3 starts about 15 seconds each), and it's already seeped over a quart on the ground (not accurate measurement I have no dipstick at the moment).

There's a stud in the head that is for the valve cover on the driver side that is busted out (thanks Charlie Laughing ) ... I was curious if these are factory or not. And if they are, if they are pull out studs, twist out, or you just have to cut 'em all the way off and then re-drill and tap it.

Thanks for any help... I'd investigate this on my own, but I'm not feeling too anxious to mess something up Very Happy

BTW, open headers w/ no header gasket sounds like crazy knocks... yet still sweet... makes me feel so torn lol.
84transam383
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhm...stop runnign the engine until you get the leak taken care of...

next on the list...if they are studsthey twist out,if there too tight,double up 2 nuts on them to back the studs out of the head

and last on the list...quit running the engine without header gaskets...good way to burn some valves.

also,i dont think ive ever heard a motor sound like its knocking because of an exhaust leak....have you confirmed the motor has adequate oil pressure? if not id suggest doing so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sellmanb

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the studs.

It's more-so the ticking sound that is being heard than a knock. At first I thought it was spark knock, but then went out and bought 8 Bosch Platinum +4's to make sure it wasnt (and at a lili over 5 bucks a pop they better last a while!)... but I'm sure that this is just a "no header gasket" sound... similar to a "blown both header gaskets and all 8 are leaking" sound heh.

I didnt realize it was leaking at all until I showed my parents that it ran and they went "wow, the fire coming out of your exhaust is burning up the oil on the ground" I said "WTF?" so I looked under there, way too much oil for the likes of me! (I havent started it back up to time it so the fire out the headers wont happen, but dont plan to until I get the header gaskets and stud fixed).

Thanks for the advice Smile
84transam383
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw... those plat plus 4s...are kinda worthless dude.

jsut get a good NGK gapped correctly and you'll be good. if you do have spark knock/detonation...just putting plugs in wont cure the problem,unless the plugs are completely foobrred in the first place...whats your exact setup?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sellmanb

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i realized that the plat plus 4's arent going to be any better than the cheapo AC Delco R45TS's, but I plan to ugrade the ignition in the not so distant future, plus I hate gapping spark plugs, I never trust that I did it correctly lol.

The current setup is basically a stock LG4 w/ more cubes, and full exhaust. I dont know what heads are on them but they're 305 heads from an 84 El Camino apparently -shrugs- it runs lol.
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to listen to Mark, he is kind of the authority on f**king things up around here. Laughing
84transam383
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably 416 castings

what are you runnign for a carb?

LMAO@rodney...thanks dude! Very Happy
Sellmanb

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just went out and checked the casting numbers... apparently are 354434.....75-79...262/267/305...60cc chambers heads. I do remember Charlie saying that the motor was a GM Goodwrench short block, so I guess he used whatever heads the guy had laying around lol.

I'm using my old Q-Jet. I plan to mod it for 795CFM and rod and hangar it once the car gets on the road again... no sense breaking something if it aint broke right now lol.

LOL @ Rodney... thanks for the advice dude Laughing
84transam383
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sellmanb wrote:
just went out and checked the casting numbers... apparently are 354434.....75-79...262/267/305...60cc chambers heads. I do remember Charlie saying that the motor was a GM Goodwrench short block, so I guess he used whatever heads the guy had laying around lol.

I'm using my old Q-Jet. I plan to mod it for 795CFM and rod and hangar it once the car gets on the road again... no sense breaking something if it aint broke right now lol.

LOL @ Rodney... thanks for the advice dude Laughing
oooh,its got older 305 heads on it.

your running stock intake and such? cast iron or alum?
Sellmanb

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep stock intake. Honestly I am not completely sure. It was heavier than the one I took off, so I'm guessing it's iron... I have a Edelbrok aluminum manifold coming sometime... it's the EDL 2101 on Summit.

This is mostly the "hold me by" motor until I get the other one built which will be a little more stout and I wont be mismatching parts so bad (since I dont know WTF is in this engine lol)

Other engine is just gunna have home port/polished 416 heads w/ 1.94i / 1.6e valves, ZZ4 intake, the 'ol Q-jet on it, probably a MSD ignition system, forged flat tops, 9.5:1 CR and a Comp XE268H cam w/ 1.6rr's...

this one will become the "oops I blew up the new motor" motor then lol.
z28redline

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude I don't want to rain on the parade but those Bosch Platinum +4 aren't good plugs. Throw them out now, before you start having problems and can't figure out whats causing them. I speak from experiance on my hot rod of a 2.8L The thing would hunt on idle and it run crappy cold and when it got real hot. Now it was fuel injected so you may not see the same problems but I've heard nothing but bad on those things. Buy some NGKs. Not the best but they work and there cheap. As for gaping, buy one of those cheap dollar size plug gaper things. Hard to screw up to bad. I'm done ranting.

z28redline
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: