Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Single person trans install?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sellmanb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Single person trans install? Reply with quote

So I'm going to put my trans back in on Saturday, and I'm not too sure I can do it alone, but dont want to have to call on any help if I can help it.

I've got a jack and my only piece of wood that's the right size holding the engine up right now. I have another jack though that I can use. I figured I would just benchpress the trans up if I could (it only felt about 90lbs w/o torque converter, and 110 w/), then try to hold it up with one hand, and one shoulder, and thread in some bellhousing bolts while I could...

I'm probably gunna kill myself in this route, so I was curious if anyone had any better ideas!

Thanks in advanced... I really wanna make this dyno.
Slowbird

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't do it alone. It's much easier to call a friend now than call one from the hospital. I read online somewhere that the 700r4 weighs 155lbs, so it's not something you want falling on your head when no help is around.
I did it myself, but I used a tranny jack. They're about $40 at most places and real usefull....

rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Single person trans install? Reply with quote

Sellmanb wrote:
I figured I would just benchpress the trans up if I could (it only felt about 90lbs w/o torque converter, and 110 w/), then try to hold it up with one hand, and one shoulder, and thread in some bellhousing bolts while I could...

If you try that your gonna die Exclamation

In the last year I have had my T5 in and out a couple times and that is how I do it, the benchpress method and it is all the weight I really want to hold over my head while trying to start the bolts. Plus the T5 weights maybe half what an auto weights, so I don't think that you could do it.

Of coarse I'm just a scrawny little bastard too. Wink
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Single person trans install? Reply with quote

rjmcgee wrote:
Sellmanb wrote:
I figured I would just benchpress the trans up if I could (it only felt about 90lbs w/o torque converter, and 110 w/), then try to hold it up with one hand, and one shoulder, and thread in some bellhousing bolts while I could...

If you try that your gonna die Exclamation

In the last year I have had my T5 in and out a couple times and that is how I do it, the benchpress method and it is all the weight I really want to hold over my head while trying to start the bolts. Plus the T5 weights maybe half what an auto weights, so I don't think that you could do it.

Of coarse I'm just a scrawny little bastard too. Wink

I can press a T5 no problem. The Tremec TKO I could do if I had it on my chest to start but that fugger is heavy. AN AUTO?! HAIL NO! MAYBE A GLIDE MAYBE?! B?

Dude, use the jack. If I had the day off I'd come give you a hand but I've got to work until 7 then I'm off to see a friend in a concert.
Sellmanb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allright, so skinny ass (5 foot 9, 130 lbs) + benchpress 150lb trans = dead skinny ass... gotcha lol.

I'll get another piece of wood to use with my other jack, and put the tranny on top of it and give it a whirr. Will update how it goes on Saturday Smile
Sellmanb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I ended up grabbing a coworker after work, and had him help me with it. We put the tranny under the car, put a creeper by the tranny, tilted the tranny on it's side, and layed in on the creeper. We then put a long breaker bar under the tranny to tilt the top end up.

Then we just lowered the car until we could just slide it in and bolt it in.

It was verrrry easy, and sadly I could have done it myself, just needed another person's innovation I guess.
alloy
T56 Elitist

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just think of it this way, if something had gone wrong, you had help there. Alone you could be laying there trapped under a trans with no one to call for assistance Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: