Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front wheel speed sensor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Front wheel speed sensor Reply with quote

What is the secret to adding a front wheel speed sensor on a 3rd gen? I want to program in some traction control with my Holley HP EFI.
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a front brake upgrade? I've never done it but I had though about trying to add an ABS system to my trans am and had envisioned using the hub/rotor from a late 2wd S10 with the reluctor ring (I'm not sure if you can get just the ring nowadays but you couldn't back in the day when I had researched it). I think it was a 47 tooth ring? And then just a bracket and sensor hanging off the backing plate remnants.
Jess
Administrator

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about 4th Gen TCS hardware? Are there sensors or other parts from that system that could be retro-fit? Or is the 4th gen system only looking for rear wheel spin?
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4thgens run a bolt on hub assembly with built in speed sensor I believe. Not some thing easily added to a thirdgen without ditching the whole front suspension.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much accuracy do you need, and does it need to match pulses front/rear for the holley system to work?

I know racelogic system could do down as low as 4 pulses per revolution, which would allow you to put sensors on something as simple as the back of the wheel lugs pressed into the hub or rotor.

I would think, as sensitive as those sensors are to air-gap, you could use something as simple as a slotted rotor, as long as the slots are evenly spaced. While a nicely spec'ed wheel meant for the job would be ideal, I honestly don't know it is is needed. The real question is if you can program the triggering events between the front and rear wheels differently, because then you just need something spinning with the wheel, with an even gap.

"Ever see a Motorcycle in front of a Psychiatrists Office?" Me neither
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you guys are still here! Wavey

Ya, I can calibrate each speed channel separately so no need for frequency to be the same. My idea was to simply use the trans speed signal for the rear wheels.

I have Corvette C6 front brakes. I found FlynBye performance sells S10 hubs but the guy just doesn't answer the phone or return calls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: