Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Welding question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Welding question Reply with quote

I'm doing some significant upgrades to my fabricating equipment. Recently bought a Hobart 210MVP welder. Makes alot nicer looking welds then my old Lincoln.

I'm also awaiting a new Simadre(chinese cheapie) plasma/stick/tig. It's only DC so no aluminum welding with this thing. It's 50a/200a/200a and multivoltage. Mainly really wanted the plasma but also planning to use the stick function.

Now my question. Looking at a bumper project using 3/16s mild steel. What rod should I be using? While I've used many rolls of mig wire, this will be the first time i've tried any stick. Most of the bumper will be done with the mig, but there's a couple areas that torch access will be extremely limited so the stick could be handy.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/8" 7018
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the 7018 as bad about collecting moisture as they make out on the net? Or just keep in a rod tube and it'll be fine?
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your locale I'd keep it inside until you use it. Or something sealed. When we did tests it came out of a rod oven. Remember when in any position except vertical, you just drag this rod. No whip and pull.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welder came yesterday and I got the plug in for it today. Burned through a few sticks of 6011 on some scrap. Never stick welded before. Managed to make a few welds that look like they'd hold good. Not much is very pretty. For a guy with no fine depth perception and needing reading glasses.. this is tough. So I'll be staying with the mig for most of my welding.

Now the plasma cutter.. that's going to be cool! This is what I really wanted it for. I cut a few circles/squares etc right in the middle of a piece of 2x2 tubing. No problem and pretty clean!

Now any tips on starting an arc when using stick? I seem to have the most problems with a new stick. If it's half gone it's pretty easy to get it started.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drag like a match.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found rolling the flux back from the electrode tip about a 1/16 helped on restarts, especally if you're welding outside, or you don't restart right away on a rod previously used.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been trying to drag and just end up stuck. After it's burned down a little. just getting it close the arc will start and away you go. Dad mentioned that someone he watched weld would scratch the rod across a file first.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7018 made some nice looking welds. I had one hell of a time getting the arc started with it though. I'd stick the rod hard and couldn't get it to come loose at all. Definitely need alot more practice at it, but it did what I needed it to.

Thanks for the advice.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7018 is pretty good for all position. 6013 (AKA 'farmer's rod') is pretty good too,especially to practice with, but its downfall is you can only weld flat and horizontal.

7024 is easier to restart, especially if your new to stick, but its not as common as 6013 and 7018.

I have about 25 1/8" 6013 electrodes in a can, I haven't used in almost 10 years if you want em. If they're still doing the car show in Cathlamet in June, I can bring them up to ya then.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer Chris. But I really won't be using rod very much. The new Hobart wire feed kicks ass compared to what I was using. Only time I need rod is when the torch won't fit. Like a couple of inches of weld on my new rear bumper.

Check out my last project. Moved the upper spring mounts so that they're horizontal on my jeep. No more banana springs. Probably the best mod i've done for better highway stability.

[img]https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/18358683_10211366707696786_3401507440287335020_o.jpg?oh=ca729eb14ea25aa307820fdd8b163c94&oe=59B306FC[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: