Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2001 camaro misfire issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: 2001 camaro misfire issue Reply with quote

Hey crew, hoping for some tech advice about my 2001 camaro.

A brief history: had intermittent SES code of P0040 "catalyst below efficiency threshold. June of 2015. Had car stall and fail to restart on way to shop. Shop tells me Fuel pressure is good on rail, bad MAF, clean all four O2 sensors, it's happy. Two months later, Same problem, different shop, original catalyst. Shop says replacement, have them replace.

New MAF new catalytic converter.

Fast forward to January. SES light with same code on and off intermittently. Now February/March. Monday, on my way home, car stalls coming off the freeway exit ramp. Cranks, no fire. Wait a few min, cranks and fires, now msfiring, idling bad. limp home (only abt 1/2mi).

Plugs/wires are about 3 years old. Replaced plugs/wires, no change. Check spark @ idle, 1-4 coil pack is not putting any spark. Replaced the bad coil pack. No change in SES codes, and rough idle still there.

Haven't tested fuel pressure@ the rail, injectors are original, car has 152k on it.

Thoughts? Ideas? Tried to eliminate spark first. Did notice 1-3-5 cyls fouled worse than pass (2-4-6) bank, when I did plugs.
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check for voltage at that coil pack connector?
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coil packs for the 3.8S2 are dime a dozen at Pick-N-Pull. Whenever I ran into issues with one I just replaced the entire assembly, module and all.

Have you confirmed that the replaced coil is firing correctly? It is possible to have a coil pack look dead but still be good because of how the module triggers them on that engine.

As an aside, when was the intake manifold gasket done?
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignition control module went bad. Had to take to a mechanic. 125% markup on just the part? $99 alone for diagnosis, despite telling them it was ICM, and simply didn't have time/shop to work on. $308 in labor for a job that would take 1hr MAX, for me. $657 later, I'm never trusting said shop again.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything sounds about right except for the 3hrs labor after diag. Should be book time which I bet is much less than that.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lesson learned. Lose on fuel with Ford. Fix yourself, rather than lose 300 bucks on labor overcharge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: