Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

X-mas 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
What tire are you running on a 18x10 that blows off undrivably with 430 ft. lbs. of torque?

Dude.... I just went an entire summer smoking tires up to 80 mph! You're falling into the trap of comparing numbers from different dynos. A dyno is a tuning tool and it is best to leave it at that.

I'll give you a real example. There are 3 of us that ran our LS cars on the same dyno and our results were from 440 - 480 RWHP. I had the highest torque. The other two guys have extreme performance 315 tires and neither of them can get traction until 3rd gear. I had traction problems at even higher speed. But here is my point.... Another friend has a 500 RWHP car tested on a different dyno. I can't remember the torque but it was a lot higher than mine. He gets good traction and he was shocked when he got clobbered by all three of us 4xx HP guys at the drag strip.

Now.... do you still want to have a burnout contest with me? Wink
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all of the things I post are designed to bait you into a pointless internet dickslapping contest, Jon, some of it is actual good advice, or posts designed to lead to advice, or drunken bad advice that will annoy Paul and Gabe. Laughing

Anyway... you didn't answer my question as you were tripping over yourself to prove Lombardi right so my curiosity was not sated. Have you actually tried to run new (not old stock but DOT dated new) summer performance tires properly sized to the rims?
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already been through this discussion with you about date codes. You know the answer, you just won't believe it.

The examples were given to help put things in perspective --> People with my numbers on that dyno do not hook up on summer performance tires.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
People with my numbers on that dyno do not hook up on summer performance tires.

Of course, that will always be an issue, there is a reason companies like Ferrari and Koenigsegg have custom made tires for their high end cars. Even with TC the big power OEM cars, need a very specialized tire to give them those 2.X second 0-60 times people always want to see. Not real road tire is going to dead hook with very much power.

Now, when you talk about lighting them up in 3rd gear, there is probably room for improvement to get more grip when you are already rolling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
izcain
9sec Club

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well came home from the Christmas get together with a new hero5 black edition so it looks like I will be mounting that in the vehicles and having fun getting some videos.

Just gotta figure it out lol

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
IROCDave

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
Already been through this discussion with you about date codes. You know the answer, you just won't believe it.

The examples were given to help put things in perspective --> People with my numbers on that dyno do not hook up on summer performance tires.

Wow, so much drama over tires. QwkTrip, you should hit my brother up over tires, he seems to do Ok with his DOT legal all summer 265's on his 05 GTO with a 403 stroker, 3.75's and A4. He didn't need drag radials to hit the numbers you did in your initial run and his car rips out of the hole at the track as well as on the street. There are several differences in set ups but his car with him in it weights about 800 pounds more than yours, makes less power but hooks harder on true summer all out street tires.
izcain
9sec Club

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More weight and a little less power is probably exactly why it hooks better. Depends on where that weight is sitting.

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is mostly my manual transmission and over sprung suspension. I need to rework my torque arm for more ground clearance and then I can get a suspension that works better. Right now the suspension is super stiff just to keep the torque arm from smacking the road all the time. It will never get off the line like an auto though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: