Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jchaussee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Help Reply with quote

Greeting's to all. Happy to see that the crew still is talking. Anyways I still have car. Was going to build motor but with the cost of an iron block ls swap I guess it could be called, I decided to go that route. As always I am cheap and budget conscience as I have 5 kids now. When I joined the group I had only 2. But anyways I am in a dilema. I have stripped car to bare bones. Sold of trans and a few other parts. And I drilled out bushings for a arms as I was going to replace. Well landlord decided to sell house and I have 10 days to get out. I have no brakes. No front end and no steering. So question is how can I go about getting on a trailer to move it. I do have k member bolted up. Would strapping a 4 x 6 or something to k member with some heavy duty caster wheels work, or??? Any suggestions are welcomed. And if anyone is up north and could help I would be greatfull
jchaussee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and to the mountain man. I have not forgotten about you. I still owe you some cash.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Reply with quote

jchaussee wrote:
I have 5 kids now. When I joined the group I had only 2.

I guess we know now what you do for entertainment.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I am thinking of becoming Mormon or Catholic.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying or building a dolly is your best bet, I think. Not much weight up front with all the parts stripped out of it.

Personally I'd look at some HF castors and frame a dolly out of whatever you have laying around. I think it could easily be built out of 2x if you boxed and triangulated it.

On a completely unrelated note: how much of that wiring harness did you end up using? I might be interested in making an adjustment to our deal in exchange for getting some parts of it back, but I honestly can't even remember what all I sold you in the first place! Laughing
jchaussee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used it so I can give back. And basically you just let me have what you had left but you did want cash for harness and I believe a jack. And then I think said if I sold some stuff as well then I would kick you down some
jchaussee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you think probably 2 dollys then? My issue is that I 2ill have to rent a uhaul trailer so there is no middle or I would think a big dolly in center would suffice.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But as far as what you gave me, the big ticket item was the harness , some awesome t tops, and a rebuilt by mountain man himself steering column. Which I will be proudly using in car. And some fourth gen pedals, which I have bolted in
jchaussee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another note while I have all here. I found a 4.8 from a Silverado with lower miles and he said 550 for motor all wires and pedals and what not . Is that a decent deal. I will probably just run it without a hood for a while and rig up an exhaust to get by. I will go with a 4l60e for trans. As I am cheap I believe I will probably just cut oil pan for now, and weld up. So I know I'll need adapters or whatever for motor mounts. Can trans mount be adapted and can everything else work?
jchaussee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main thing is to just get it movable
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I would be interested in getting back would be the power distribution portion of the harness (buss bar with fusable links, alternator wire, ect.). We can discuss this further via PM and figure out some sort of deal. I'm not in any hurry at all, so no worries there.

To use a U-Haul trailer you will need to fabricate some sort of crossbar and twin dolly system, yes. You will also need a come-along or boat winch or something to get it up the ramp, and some sturdy straps to tie it down since U-Haul only provides front tire straps and you don't have any front tires.

$550 is about what a you-pull junkyard would charge for a 4.8/4L60 pullout with harness and ECM, so if he's selling it ready to go then it's a good deal for you only in saved time and effort.

The Silverado pan is cast aluminum. Not going to be doing too much welding on it unless you've got a TIG and a steady hand.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I get a pullout that low? All places I look want way to much
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PickNPull
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. You want a you-pull place that sells engines flat-rate like PnP or Dick's or whatevs.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I'll have to check them out. In Bellingham they have none. So it's like 1600 for engine and trans
jchaussee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shhot. There an 01 firebird in Vancouver that got on yard on the 21st. That could of been an ideal choice
jchaussee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also in my reading, iT seems that a lot of the guys who turbo, prefer the 4.8 vs 5.3. Is there a mechanical reason for that? I am inot no hurry as it has already sat for 2 years. I was gonna sell it off, but for sentimental reasons I kept. I was gonna build the 350 I had, but it seems to me that it would be alooot more budget friendly to go the 4.8 or 5.3 route.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the smaller bore diameter results in less lifting force on the heads so that you don't blow out the gaskets as easily. I am not sure there is much reason other than that.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I thought perhaps down the road I wanted to boost my motor , is there a big enough risk of lift in the 5.3 if I kept boost under a 0 psi. I am trying to determine if it is worth getting the 4.8 now if I plan on turbo later, or if I should just get the 5.3.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are going crazy with boost do not worry about the bore size. Just buy what is cheap and available to you.

Bellingham is dumb, don't live there. Razz Your closest Schnitzer PnP yard is Arlington, and then Lynnwood after that.

Also take a look at NW Auto Recyclers in Lake Stevens. They are an independent and have had decent prices in the past.

Don't necessarily pass on that pulled engine, either. If the oil looks good I'd say go for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: