Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need some help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cameron7710

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: need some help Reply with quote

well I messed up the Camaro and when ever I need advise you guys are my go to place.so I had a bad connection on my battery dew to bad threads on my positive cable and instead of fixing it right I just ignored it till the other night when I left my lights on and killed it so I had to jump it which was not easy with the bad connection. and once I did the battery wouldn't charge so I kept jumping it as I needed to till this last time when the car just stopped trying to start so I finally got off my ass and got a new bolt for the cable and stuck it on the battery charger. but now even with the battery charged a good connection and trying to jump it and it doses nothing when you turn the key like it is drive when you try to start it. so I'm thinking I fucked soothing up jumping it over and over.im just not sure what exactly to check first maybe I fried my starter? neutral safty switch? vats? or is there maybe a fuses or relay that would causes this, just wondering where you guys think I should go from here
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't be vats or safety switch if you say nothing happens. With a bad connection for long periods of time you can burn up alternators, batteries, starters, battery cables etc by the high amperage needed to cross the high resistance. How are you verifying the battery has a charge? Put a meter on it and see if its 12.4v or better. Connected the proper terminals to the battery?
cameron7710

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well I guess I shouldn't say nothing happens there is power and eveything works but when you try to turn it over it acts the same way as if you tried to start it in park no clicking buzzing or anything. and yes it is connected right I don't even think theres enough slack in the cables to hook it up the wrong way. and as far as the battery being charged I'm still looking for my meter but I left it on the charger over night and all everything else on the car is working fine

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so just to rule out the battery I put my trucks battery in there and still no and to as far as what it doses with the key on the security light is on and when you turn the key they brake light comes on and some of the gauges peg till you let off the key and no noises. and the security light stays on so I'm worried its the vats
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start by troubleshooting.

Check voltage at battery, and check voltage at starter. If you have voltage to the starter, then look at the starter.

If not voltage, check fuseable link.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the starter. Low voltage at starter (poor connection, jumping all the time) during the crank cycle will cause the starter to spin slow, and therefore increase motor current and possibly overheat the starter. It's not intuitive, but that's what a low battery condition does to a starter. It is a quick death.

Alternator doesn't burn up from running at full output. That is an old wives tale. Alternator can run full output continuously. A loose connection at battery might cause "load dumps" that can burn up the rectifier bridge diodes. Jump starting can do the same thing depending how you connect cables.

Also check the fuse for VATS.
cameron7710

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well I checked the vast fuse and got a good battery and connection I jump the starter with a screwdriver and it turned over for a second but then it would just spin the motor and not catch not really sure what that means but that's where I'm at right now I just need to find more time to check everything
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you jump the starter? Sounds like it was in free speed without the pinion thrown, meaning you only jumped the motor and not the solenoid.

Jump between the battery cable terminal and the switch terminal (one with purple wire). If the starter still doesn't crank then the solenoid probably isn't working. If it does crank then you might have a loose or corroded connection somewhere, or have a bad starter interlock switch or start relay.
izcain
9sec Club

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solenoid can die pretty quick when you are not supplying the proper voltage to it.

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
cameron7710

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my buddy jumped the starter with a screwdriver I'm not sure exactly what he touch cause I couldnt fit under the dam thing .thanks for the ideas I'll keep you posted on how it goes but sadly due to work I probably won't have time to look at it till Saturday.
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your meter/test light. Find the purple wire - single ring terminal lead on the starter. Make sure the car is in NEUTRAL or PARK(auto). Wheel chock the tires. Have your buddy turn the key to "start" while you check for power on that purple wire. If you have power, your starter is dead. No power= fault in the starting circuit.

IE: Battery to Fuses/Switch to Neutral Safety to VATS relay to Starter Solenoid.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: