Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did the grown up thing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats kind of funny is this is a pretty electronics free new car. Most everything on it is required.

It doesn't have heated or memory seats, no gps, no satellite radio, no memory mirrors or any of that.

It does have stability/traction control/abs brakes, rear backup camera, and tire monitors but all of those things are mandated by the feds to be on all new cars now. Bout the only extra's would be the usb/bluetooth entertainment.

Car is still at the dealer, we will find out tomorrow if it's fixed yet or not. Looks like Deb and I will be driving his & hers firebirds to work tomorrow.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car's been working fine since. Mileage is coming up now that its breaking in. Got over 5k miles on it, we started at 30mpg and are up to 37mpg overall now. That's almost where the little corolla was. Not so bad for a big car. Looking like the service interval is going to be about 11k miles too. Car's still saying 60% oil life left.

Liking it so far, though I've only driven it a handfull of times.
IROCDave

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new car, and you have to admit it feels like your being dragged in to adultword Very Happy

It is nice to have a vehicle that you know you don't have to worry about abnormally. It's also nice to just assume it's going to start on Monday morning and or when your wife AND KIDS get in it and need to go some where.

Sorry to hear it has gremlins, take it to the dealer and let them sort it out. All vehicles have them now, there is just so much technology stuffed in to them and the MFG's have to kick them out the door quicker than ever to satisfy stock prices.

I wish consumers had a better understanding of issues, especially issues with US products. If you were posting this on a Honda forum you would get so much support similar to what I just typed. But..if it was a Chevy or Ford people would be ripping you for not buying a Honda or Toyota and the "issue" would just be another example of US inferior product.

I am sensitive about this hypocrisy by ignorant consumers. Sorry I am using your experience after purchasing a brand new Honda, it just fits my understanding of consumer tolerance of Asian MFG issues but intolerance of US products. Honda makes a great car and you made a good decision on the purchase, not bashing that at all. I just think people need to understand shizzle happens and people need to look at things with eyes wide open.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a mechanic that's worked in the same shop for 23 years. We thought about a chevy volt.. but I see way too many gm cars come in for major repairs that don't have that many miles. The CTS is another gm car we like.. but i've worked on quite a few of them too.. and their depreciation is awful.

The corolla she had was an awesome car. Only one major issue and it was handled under warranty as well. ECU @ 30k miles, 2 sets of front brakes and a battery in 215k miles. We'd have gone back to toyota but don't really care for the new grill styling.

She likes the look of VW/Audi.. but I hate working on them more then any other car.

We really were wanting the new civic.. but she's liking the Accord more all the time. I think we might have actually been lucky there.

Having an issue pop up right away like this is kind of expected to me. It's all in how they handle the issue. Anything new is more likely to have a bug or 2. So far it looks like they've got it fixed up. And luckily we were on vacation at the time cause it took them the whole week to get it sorted.

Another reason for the "adult" car, at one point I had to seriously consider what I was driving to a funeral. All I had was a bunch of loud toys. As we get older there are more and more of these kind of things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: