Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Progress.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, how do you feel about a 9-bolt? Obviously not right for a pure-drag application like Zach's, but a good balance of weight and strength for a multi-purpose street car IMO.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
John, how do you feel about a 9-bolt? Obviously not right for a pure-drag application like Zach's, but a good balance of weight and strength for a multi-purpose street car IMO.

Not going to be sturdy enough. Don't forget, even though I am quiet and haven't done much to my car in a few years... it and many many many parts are sitting in my garage. I know the numbers I am going after, and I want a bit more than a 9 bolt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 9 bolt with rear cover in my 2000 6.0L C/H/I Z28 snapped like a pretzel. I made it live but the kid that bought the car from me didn't heed my warning and broke it going in to 2nd gear within 2 weeks of ownership. I think the trick to making those live is controlling distortion of the rear housing.

Last edited by QwkTrip on Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that is my exact worry. Especially having a M6.

12 bolt probably makes the most sense, just got to get over sticker shock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch for used 12 bolts at LS1tech.com or other sites. People are upgrading to Ford 9" and S60 all the time.

There is something in the back of my mind about something being funky about the Moser 12 bolt but I can't remember what it is. If you ever find a Strange with C-clip eliminators then pick it up.
izcain
9sec Club

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

until a c-clip breaks then...........

Pretty sure I am seeing 8.8's as a drop in now also.

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well finally got the interior most of the way installed and figured out how I wanted to mount the gauges back in there! Got the gauges wired in and ready. Just have some more plumbing and wiring to do and finish it up and get the car back down and ready. I am thinking I might get the car out for some test hits later this month is all goes well.

Gotta rebuilt the nitrous solenoids since they have been sitting for awhile and I don't trust them!

Still going to be on too small of a carb and some junk long tubes until I can get the scratch up this winter to upgrade. But at least maybe the car will make some passes and I can start ironing things out with it once again.

9.17 @ 148
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ended up getting a set of decent set of headers to put on the car. Got everything all aligned and ready to go and now after waiting 5 years they call for it rained out for the year at the local 1/8th mile so no hits! Mad

Oh well I will get some pics put up this weekend and show progress!

I could travel to the nearest 1/4 and run it but am a little on edge without having been in the car for a while to make a hit. Guess you gotta just dive in with both feet lol

9.17 @ 148
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not ready for a full pass then you don't have to go full throttle all the way down the track.... Wink
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha yea I know!

Going to monitor the weather and see.....

9.17 @ 148
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well weather turned out to be great and so I pulled over to Bremerton raceways on Sunday and ran the car.

Learned a bit and got some things sorted out.

Ran three passes....... All on motor only. This is definitly a nitrous car only now lol it is a pig on the 60ft with the bottle not turned on.

Right out of the trailer she ran 10.90@ 129
I had too much tire pressure and I hit the chip in first and second gear lol man I had to blow the dust off my reactions.
Second run I lowered air pressure, checked pinion angle and went 10.8 @ 129 again banging the chip from second to high gear.

Third run I lowered one more pound out of the tires and added 400 rpm to the launch (3900) and hit all shifts. Only shifting at 7k and ran 10.6 @ 131.8 mph

On the last pass I was hard on the binders and made the first turnoff but watched my oil pressure die on deceleration. I loaded it up right away after that and will be solving that before heading to the track and opening up the bottle to let it eat.

I am thinking I am going to install an accusump system in the car for an added 3qts of pressured oil to be fed to the car on shut down.

I have no doubts the car will go low 9's with the bottle on and everyone seems to think that with good air and the right tune it will run a 8.9x

I got the car in the air tonight and got the filter off of it and cut it open and it appears I have not hurt anything so that is awesome!

I can't even say how awesome it was after such a long time to actually get out and make a pass in the car again! I'm hooked all over again!

9.17 @ 148
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Right! Cool

I wanted to go to the strip Friday but I moved my trailer last night and it is in need of a lot of repairs after sitting 10 years. Not road worthy. Corrosion is killing it.
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
All Right! Cool

I wanted to go to the strip Friday but I moved my trailer last night and it is in need of a lot of repairs after sitting 10 years. Not road worthy. Corrosion is killing it.

That's a bummer man! I'm sure you'll get it up and going soon!

........ Accusump is on order now Very Happy

Went all out with a electric switch kit to turn the setup off and on of my ignition switch. Sweet setup!

Trying to hit the track again in early October before everything shuts down.... I want to post up that single digit number.

Already making plans for this winter lol

The bug has bitten hard again!

9.17 @ 148
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good first night back out! I'm looking forward to seeing the seconds drop off that time when you gas it. Wink
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got the accusump mocked up and mounted in place. It is a tight fit in there and I am running out of room to put things lol. Still gotta run the line to the motor and mount the adapter onto the block.

Also got a coupe of holes plugged but I still have to make a cowl panel to sheet off the top of cowl (another tech thing that they pointed out) 15 years of being at that track and he is just now telling me this? Lol oh well.

izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that engine bay is dirty in those pics. Time to get to cleaning on the old workhorse lol

9.17 @ 148
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So been a bit since posting but here is the rundown of what happened.

Still blowing the cob webs off of my driving lol

Last outing of the year I went to pacific raceways in seattle. The track had some moisture in the top end so they shortened the track to eight mile.

I planned to make 2 motor passes to get the jetting the rest of the way figured out before opening the bottle and making things interesting lol

Made 2 passes ran 6.9 @ 102 and blew the belts off of the power steering and alternator. Power steering pump was screaming and not liking 7500. I loaded up and went home. Never got a chance to turn the bottle on and start opening the car up for how it is setup. Bummer

I will update the rest this afternoon as I am getting very busy on it now for winter updates.

9.17 @ 148
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So trans is out and I am installing a JW Ultrabell for SFI approval in the flexplate area. A must for under 9.99 also installing a new fleplate since mine had technically expired before I was even able to run the car lol. Sucks when projects take to long!

My Converter just left on it's way over to Lenny at Ultimate Converter Concepts to get it spec'd/built with better parts for the new combo.

Axles just left on their way to moser to get 5/8"s wheel stud installed. Tired of being worried about the 12mm studs Shocked

Also made the swap to manual steering now. Got a nice s-10 manual box all cleaned, painted, and mounted in the car. Opened up that side of the motor a lot! Thinking at some point it will be room enough to add a vacuum pump setup. But for right now I am trying to lighten this thing up as much as I can.

I am finally going to remove the last remnants of redneckitess which would be the air shocks that are in the back that have been there since 14 lol

I am shocked that the car has 60' upper 1.4s with them lol But they are leaving for something adjustable and a much better suited drag application shock.

Also removing the nitrous plate and getting it boxed up and sent off to Induction Solutions to get it blueprinted and flowed. This will add a certain degree of safety to turning on the bottle I think, as well as it will make the car that much easier to sort out tuning once I get the bottle turned on.

Once these rounds of mods get finished up I should be ready to do the rest. Which would be installing the parachute setup and a new set of 10.5W slicks since mine are getting old I am starting to feel sketch on running with them.

9.17 @ 148
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a cool build. Glad you're sharing as you go.

At what point is it wise to get rid of 12mm studs? I still have those too.
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I think I was on barrowed time with my current power levels on 12mm I hear anything much more then 400+ at the tire and people have had problems. I'm over twice that with the n2o turned on so that is why I have been worried about turning on the gas also.

I skipped right past the 1/2inch stuff and went for the gusto. This next year I plan on building another center section with 35 or 40 spline axles but for this upcoming season my current setup I think will work fine with some good studs in the 31 splines. I will pull them every other race to keep an eye on them and make sure I don't twist a spline.

Here are some pics for how the firewall came out. I sheeted it off and painted it. Nhra can get off by back about that now since they were getting after me at the last track day lol

Here is the accumulator all hooked up

And the new steering setup. Whole lot more room!

Got the trans mounted up on the stand to clean it paint it and check it out before I cut the bell off of it and install the ultra bell. I will be sure to post pics.

9.17 @ 148
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: