Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Edelbrock E street heads
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like i've gotten the timing cover to seal.. looks like crap, but oh well. I half expect the motor to blow up now that i've done the top end.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people comment on the looks just act all self-accomplished and say, "Yep! I did it all by myself too!"
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New converter in, but haven't test driven yet. Just free revving seems allright. I've got a little carb work to do before driving though.

Deb accidentally threw out my Cliff Ruggles qjet book so I just ordered another. I need to resize my idle tubes, air bleeds, bypass air etc for this new cam/head combo. I've got one qjet somewhere that has allready been done. I took it off cause I went too extreme for the cam I had. Problem is.. I'm not sure which of the 4 is the one! lol

I was hoping to be able to figure out the sizing without the book, but looks like I'll need to wait for it.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ya! Now we're getting somewhere. Very Happy Converter works great now no more vibes. Got a different qjet all set up for my cam. Installed today and it ran like ass. Idle was fast even with the screw backed all the way up. With the new idle tune plenty of fuel was available so I figured I had a vacuum leak somewhere. Turns out on the new wieand intake the rear carb bolt holes are more shallow. By about a thread. So even with them tight the carb wasnt compressing the base gasket. Sawed off a little and hey now.. it idles!

I completely retuned the idle circuit and plugged off the adjustable idle air bleed circuit in the air horn. Then retuned the accelerator pump circuit as well. Left the primary main circuits alone since they're computer controlled. Then added more fuel to the secondary accelerator circuit and quickened the air flap opening rate. Installed a good hanger and secondary metering rods.

Car pulls awesome now. With the new stall and the higher revving trans governor, It's a hard pull to 90mph in 3d before I let off.. too many cops around. I need to get a governor recalibration kit though. This governor wants to run 3d gear to almost 55mph before getting 4th at light throttle. But its so much nicer having a trans that will shift down!!!

Funniest thing to me. All these changes, new cam, new heads, intake, stall convertor, a carb that I drilled about a dozen holes to a different size.. etc.. And on my first trip to town and back there's no check engine light. Laughing
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the carb i'm using now is one you gave me Rod. Probably off of Jen's firebird? The carb I was using was the l69 carb off of Bart's old car. Hmm.. you might have given me that one too. Somehow I ended up with 4 of these things.. 2 are in pieces at the moment.
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good that you finally got it sorted out. Sounds like it's running pretty well!
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
I think the carb i'm using now is one you gave me Rod. Probably off of Jen's firebird? The carb I was using was the l69 carb off of Bart's old car. Hmm.. you might have given me that one too. Somehow I ended up with 4 of these things.. 2 are in pieces at the moment.

lol, maybe. I killed off quite a few of these cars, and I don't think I have any Q jets. I'm still running the posi unit you gave me after I popped mine at cows. Lots of parts repurposed
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well swapped governors still have issues. Time to throw money at the problem. I think it's coming from my bracket geometry on the carb. So another issue caused by the new intake.

Ordered a bowtie od's setup. I've got one allready for a holley and that transmission shifted absolutely perfect with it. Hopefully that'll make the difference here as well. Tired of the car not being useable.

It is running quite well now though. Fires right up and had it idling in a very short time. Better then the last combo even. It may need a bit of work on the accel pump circuit yet. We'll see when I can actually drive it for awhile. Took it for a short go yesterday and pegged the tach. (no shift) Not sure when it would stop revving but was still on its way up at that point.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have bought the bowtie od setup in the first place. Especially before that edelbrock bracket. So much cleaner setup. I've got the carb and brackets done, still need to pull the trans pan and install the new tv spring/cable. Kinda feeling lazy today though. LOL
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I changed the TV spring tonight and finished installing the kit. Haven't put fluid back in though. Nice thing with this kit, besides cleaning up the bracketry, once you buy one for whatever carb you have it will fit exactly the same on any intake you choose. No more messing around with adjusting/bending/welding brackets. I'm using the throttle bracket from my old holley kit I used on my truck for now. A throttle/cruise bracket is on its way though. Here's a pic.

chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took it out.. a bit more governor playing to do. But...

I totally f'd up backing out of the barn and caught the nose on an old gta hood. Gouged the fender from the tire to the front bumper. Sad Nice ripple in the fender too. I'm not winning on this car. Probably should have just scrapped the thing.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh..... not fun.
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no!! That sucks
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all know this will end in a complete new fresh paint job.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and an LS swap.

The next Cows should include an LS swap event in one weekend. Although everyone might be so drunk that you find your Civic engine in the Firebird on Monday morning.
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks! You really aren't catching any breaks on this one. I have weeks and months sometimes where it seems like everything I touch goes wrong in some way.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifting is very close now. Need to lighten up a weight and try again. WOT shifts are back to being just a tad too soon.

Running good, though it seems to be slightly too rich off idle. Especially if the choke is partly on. When it tries to stall after putting in gear a pump of the gas will kill it instead of picking it up. You have to hold the throttle down part way to get it to clear and catch again. When its completely warmed up its not bad.

But need to work on the jeep for a bit. At least the car's driveable as is now.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to bring the idle up more then I want. To me a 1k rpm seems racing. But that gets me about 500rpm in gear. Big drop but it's not pulling the car at that rpm either. Doing a few adjustments to get rid of a flat hole between the pump shot and the primary taking over. I've got a new pump that should give me more shot to install too. This may just be a symptom of trying to use the ccc primary system. We'll see if it works or not.

Also moved all the evap crap from in front of the carb over to the canister area. Just need to lengthen the wires and that should look a little better.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the carb off tonight to install the new ethanol safe accelerator pump from Cliffs Performance. I had set it on the passenger seat a week ago so it'd be ready when I got to work.. Well tonight I get the carb apart and grab the little zip lock baggy with the performance pump.. open it up. WTF! 2 new springs, no pump. I retrace my steps.. no where on the floor. Grab a light and start looking inside the car. Don't see it.. I know it was there. Oh man.. maybe a critter? So I look deeper and find it clear under neat the drivers seat. Not the edge, nor the front, but clear under by the air pump for the seats. Looks like i've got critters who like shiny new things. Shocked Thank god they didn't eat the pump up. Got the carb back together but haven't installed yet. So no results yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: