Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The future of CC...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Hasse wrote:
chevymad wrote:
Any thoughts to inviting the northwest facebook group to use our boards? They do put on gatherings, but we have the cooler name and clubhouse.

That may be as simple as having the admin(s) add the invite with a link in a pinned post - always on top of the group page.

I think a merging of the regional groups is by far the best bet.

NWTR will have a non-FB option for their members and a way to keep tech writeups, classified ads, and other info that is not conducive to Facebook posts, and CC will have easier meetup organization and photo hosting/sharing/ect.

On the hosting front, if John wants to figure out some sort of PayPal donation setup for long-time Crewbies to chip in for hosting costs I would gladly support it. Along with may some ideas for suggested donations as I honestly have no idea how much it costs to keep the lights on around here! Laughing
91camaro_rs

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i been to busy building my 83 camaro to post. haha but now that its basically done ill be on here more, i think a cascade crew road coarse day needs to happen. also the quick photo sharing is a huge help on facebook, especially with smartphones having 16mp cameras now, makes uploading on here tough. dont really have time to put em on photobucket then transfer them here
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for keeping the boards here alive, purely as a technical resource. It would be a shame to lose all that information because a lot of have moved onto other projects, etc.

Also, paypal donation thing is another good idea. I'd happily chip in a few bucks to keep "the lights on".

Like Ian, I lurk a lot, but seldom ever post anymore, as I also don't have a third gen anymore.

Just my humble $.02
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, yall gonna make me get all mushy and cry...
~JAKE

Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was enough feedback, as of now, it will be around for at least another year. I'm hoping we can get some more stuff going to get activity, we'll work on ideas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jess
Administrator

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I haven't been around here for a while (No F-body, marriage and kiddos keep me occupied and doesn't leave much time for message boards), but it will be a sad day for me when the sun sets on the Cascade Crew - it was always a fantastic group. Good to see the boards will be going for another year at least.

When we built the forums originally, this type of stand alone message forum was the go to technology of the day - before the rise of mobile and before Facebook came along and ruined the web... Now with many people accessing anything on-line mainly with mobile devices, a software upgrade could help with access beyond a traditional desktop/laptop and drive more participation. It looks like the new version of phpBB (3.1) comes with a responsive template by default as well as many other enhancements to notifications and other board functions. Personally, I would hate to see the Crew reduced to just a FB group.

We had in the past sold stickers and calendars to help with the hosting costs - something that needs new members to help with new purchases obviously. Paypal would only take 10 donations of $1 each month to keep things running, if there are enough members it wouldn't even need to be the same 10 each month...

Whatever the future of the Crew, I have had some amazing memories with this group and was still hoping to make a Dyno event whenever I would be blessed to get another Trans Am...

Anyone remember the high winds at the Vista House? Or a flat bed on a ferry boat? We even proved a 5-speed swap yields better Dyno results for a 305 TPI than a head swap...

Some thoughts for what they are worth.

'89 Firebird V6 - Sold
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm late to the party. Laughing

The value of forums vs. Facebook for me has to do with information permanence. As has been said, FB is a great platform for transitory, short-term information. Less effort, greater stimulation. Post pictures, plan meetups, etc. I really appreciate the lasting nature of forums when it comes to project research and cataloging useful information for future access.

I'd really hate to lose the Crew forums, but I know I have an equal share in the diminishing nature of it. This is the first time I've logged in in months. I've taken an extended departure into Subaru land, making deals and building cool stuff. Through it all, my Camaro has been eminently reliable, and even though it sits in the garage a little too long sometimes, it's always a breath of fresh air to get behind the wheel and cruise. The Camaro has even filled in for daily driver duties a couple times when the Subaru has been down and out. I'm shifting my focus back to Camaro and truck improvement and mods as we roll into the new year.

I think I will host a meet this spring or summer, I need to find a good reason to get people motivated to come out. Billetproof might be a good one.

If John ever feels like he wants to pass the torch on the site, I'd be willing to take responsibility. If it means the difference between existing and disappearing, I am way too sentimental about the good times we've had to let it fade away. Wink I hold hope for the future of the Cascade Crew.

izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im till here im still here im still here im still here!!!!!! lol

It would really suck to see it disappear!

I have no problem contributing to the cause to keep the lights on!

I have been working on the car silently in the garage (well at least over the web since it is really not to silent in the garage)

It has been to long since I talked with a few of you guys! There are some great people on this board and hopefully it picks up.

I have pointed a few people this way but it always seems they never get involved.

Like others I have been busy with other projects and go fast ideas. However there is always one constant in my household (which is growing once again) there will always be Z parked in the garage.
I tell my wife to just bury me in the car when im done lol

I think it is time to start being more active on here again!

Dewey if you need some help with anything feel free to contact me.

If people wanted to submit photos I think I could talk the wife into making some calenders with the editors we have. Just a thought.

Maybe I need another third gen just to cruise around in lol...........

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the time has come to let the site go.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
I think the time has come to let the site go.

You finally get your car going, and the internet comes to an end...

I'll see and think about it. It is kind of hard, since it has been here so long, but it isn't used like it used to be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to miss the Nike shoe guy the most.

I would watch YOUR build thread but there is none. Otherwise, I'm quickly running out of content with mine.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is happening right now that is going to kill alot of sites. Photobucket has started to charge $30+ per month to allow 3d party picture sharing. So alot of build threads are going to be missing the pictures from now on. Even if people switch to some other host, all the links will be dead.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the big shift, is most of this stuff is being put on facebook now. But you don't get good in depth tech threads in those groups. I don't really have the push or time to really try to push the facebook thing for the crew, there are other groups doing that.
IROCDave

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As most have mentioned, it sucks seeing the site withering on the vine. For me, I choose not to Face Book, but if that's the best way to maintain the history of the site posts, so be it. I think the posts on the site, real time in life are what we will all want to revisit at some time in the future, as well as newcomers to 3rd gens.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is a couple years old now, so you can see I've been kicking around for a long time. I don't really see a way to put the thread and info any way on facebook. That is the big reason the site is still here. it is a database of technical information that can be searched.

Qwk, my build will happen one of these days, just got to stop buying other toys and spend some money on the Camaro.
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't axe it yet. Maybe we could use this decision as motivation to actually do something with our cars. I know mine has been sitting for almost 2 years with a blown engine. Dewey needs to start on his, even if just bringing them back to useable status. Who else has projects they need to start on? We aren't getting any younger
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unca Schultzy needs a new transmission, and a new hood to get rid of the BAH.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmcgee wrote:
Don't axe it yet. Maybe we could use this decision as motivation to actually do something with our cars.

I'm all in with that idea! I would love to see some more build threads here. You guys have gotten all wise and responsible in your old age and it is kind of boring. Laughing
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think this site among other things helped motivate me to get rolling on the car again.

I hope some more projects get started.

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I just got the renew notice, I have to decide in the next week what to do with the site.... this might be the last chance to speak you rmind if anyone has any more thoughts on what we can do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: