Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A little carb adjustment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, how disheartening. Sometimes it's nice to have a newer car. Makes you like the Jeep even more, huh?
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except i've modded the jeep so much that it occasionally has an issue. At least all the parts are still available.

I keep forgetting that the cooling fan isn't turning up to speed on the 87 either. It's running, but engine will warm up in traffic and cool on the highway. Fan looks/sounds slow too. Will have to remember to order that tomorrow.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Searching the forum, I think I put this carb on back in 2012. So 3 years and probably no more then 3k miles max(more likely a 1k) Before the filter plugged up solid.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, you could solve everything by doing an LS swap. Very Happy
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! I talked bout doing that way back before anyone really had. Sad These issues lately had me really thinking of doing megasquirt and some kind of injection. Besides I like an electronics project like building a megasquirt.

Got too much invested in the crap I have though.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megasquirt doesn't cost much if you do it yourself like you would do. Find a used Holley TBI and you're good to go.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think that the market for gen-3 stuff has gotten to the point where doing an EFI swap on a smallblock isn't even worth it anymore. You can pick up an entire 2wd parts truck with a 4.8 or 5.3 and a 4L for a couple grand. Yank the drivetrain, part the truck, sell your SBC and you are frighteningly close to breaking even.

It's to the point that it's got me, the guy who swore off dumb car projects, considering picking up a beat 1500 Chevy and an old 50's or early 60's F-150.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that counts as recycling so you can keep your principles in tact. Wink
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but it would be a useless truck. I've also considered picking up an early-60's vert of some kind. Maybe a Dodge Dart or Buick Custom or something? Something mid-sized, not another land yacht... did that already. Wink

Something I can throw a stock N/A 3.8L Camaro motor into and drive around I'd be happy with 200 horses at this point. Driving Gabe's 320rwhp LS1 swapped car confirmed that for me. I just don't care about going fast anymore.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great car idea! The Buicks look great.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... Maybe.... Very Happy

Took for a run round the test loop. Run real good. No idea on the part throttle thing yet. Test loop pretty much used binary throttle control. Also changed oil and cleaned up under the hood. Guess it likes the attention tach started working again and the indiglos worked fine. lol They're still getting swapped out.

Here's a tip for cleaning under the hood. I had alot of buildup of dirt and algea crap. I've tried that foaming engine cleaner crap. I swear its just diesel in an aerosol can. It does nothing. Tonight I used some scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner. Soak it on, washed off with a hose. Removed 90% of the dirt. If I'd used the pressure washer I bet it would have cleaned it all. Also the can goes alot further then the engine cleaning stuff.

[img]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206260581126813&l=c9feb9a245[/img]

[img]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206260585886932&l=16ef0a075d[/img]
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of things are actually diesel fuel in a can: some cheapo ant killer products, seafoam, some bolt-breaker sprays.

STP fuel additive used to say "contains jet fuel" but jet fuel is just kerosene so...

I've gotten to the point where any underhood cleaning is a best a neutral move (nothing shorts out or floods) and usually makes things worse, so I just let it build up. Laughing
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that still isn't the miss.

Part throttle, 60mph, uphill and she starts to jerk. In fact tonight I had the scanner on and climbing a hill, o2 showed rich then the misses started and it stayed rich. Then it backfired out the carb hard, which must have burnt all the fuel out of the motor cause it went lean for a few seconds.

Car now runs fine wide open, it also runs fine as long as there isn't a fair size hill. If this was a customer rig i'd say tuneup. But i've done that, changed plugs, swapped to Taylor wires, cap, rotor, new DUI ignition module and coil, new distributor. Now i've gone through the carb again and checked the fuel system out. New ecm and 2 different chips. Good tps, new purge solenoid, new vacuum caps... getting frustrated here. Scoped the ignition and tried to load it in gear and that didn't show anything.

Just seafoamed the hell out of it and going to try a different set of plugs again.

That engine cleaner actually smells like diesel even. At least seafoam doesnt lol.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I "think" i've got my answer. Maybe. For the hell of it, I changed plugs again. 6 of them looked like new. 1 had some deposit from a leaky vale guide. And one had a LOT of deposit from a leaky valve guide. Like nearly fouled out ALOT. I did springs and new seals the year after the last dyno. I'm betting its not seals again. These heads were the $300 in the back of magazines specials from a school in Arizona. They were 305 heads that the school cnc milled to 64cc chambers and put 1.94 valves in. But they did the cheap guide renew by reaming to 3/8s and installing 3/8s valves. Nothing too wrong with that.. And they've lasted 15 years.

But now its decision time. Too much invested to go to LS at this point. Even though it probably would still come out cheaper in the long run. So the decision is full motor or heads. Is the old 327 shortblock still in good enough shape?? hmmm. Or do I build the 1 piece main 350 I have and buy a set of heads?

Anybody have a set of aftermarket heads for sale? I don't think I want to go vortec at this point either.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give everyone an idea on just how few miles most of this stuff has on it..

I'm removing my indiglo gauges and installing leds instead. I can't find when I installed the indiglo's but it was before the crew board moved to its current server. Checking out my original 85mph speedo, and comparing the mileage says I've only put 27k miles on the car since the indiglos were installed.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something wrong with those gauges? They're gorgeous. Leave the bottom end. Fix top end. Drive car. 327 > 350
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, they're getting flaky. The transformer or whatever it is won't hold a steady light anymore. Also they're delaminating. Look fine at night but during the day they look wrinkled.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda find it interesting that the instruments in the stock dash are made by Denso. Camaro's same?
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that seems to have been the answer. One trip to Astoria and back without problems. Hey, not any problems. That's probably the first trip in 2 years without something breaking and it only took 2 weeks of work to get it there.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the plugs were it this time?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: