Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A little carb adjustment
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: A little carb adjustment Reply with quote

Actually worked on the 87 a bit. After going through the ignition system I was still picking up misfires at part throttle high load situations. Was thinking it was probably going lean at this point. So since I had to work on the carb anyway, I went ahead and checked the ccc primary adjustments.

First thing I needed to do was replace yet another choke thermostat. Electrically it tested fine but it would never open the choke. So I gave up on Napa thermostats(besides they're $55!!!) This is like the 4th one i've installed. Ordered a Standard brand one from Amazon. $22. I've never had the choke open so quickly before. I like!

Then I was figuring the Rich stop for the primary metering rods might be set too lean. Dug out my CCC adjustment tools and went to check it. Only 2/32's of travel in the metering rods. This just might be it! When I rebuilt this carb (L69 carb from Bart's bird) I left the adjustments alone because once you start messing with them they never seem to be right again. Of course that assumes they're right in the first place. lol

Got the stops adjusted up and then used the IAB gauge to check the air bleed. Adjusted that to preliminary spec and started her up. Hooked my dwell meter to the check wire and 28*! Spec is 30* so that's damn close. Whole reason I put this carb on was the old one would never even come close to spec and still run. 1/2 turn on the air bleed and it seems to be running fine and in spec. Amazing.

Haven't driven yet, but free revving I seem to have gotten rid of a dead spot it had. My fingers are crossed.

I'm also finally fed up with the stock TCC lockup program. It's especially bad now that I have a stall convertor and lock/unlock is a good 5-700 rpm difference. 35-40mph its always switching and then once its locked it's next to impossible to get it to unlock and shift down. This 700 really doesn't shift that nice. I wish it worked like the 200 4r I had in the truck. That thing would even shift down and compression brake when you let off. Also always seemed to find the right gear in the corners. Even with the probuilt shift kit the 700 is always in the wrong gear. Usually too high. (laugh stick boys, laugh)

I've tried a hypertech chip because they say they raise the tcc lockup point. If they do it must be by 2mph. Sad

Anyway, enough I say. Bought a B&M TCC controller. Haven't installed yet, but just looking where i'll put the control box. Think I'll dig out the rotary cutter and put it in where the ash tray goes. This will be easily accessible, yet still hidden.
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never liked the way my 700R4 shifted either. car seemed like it lugged around everywhere, in an RPM under its happy powerband. Unless I shifted manually.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it runs better, got rid of all hesitation, It still misses part throttle heavy load. Sad I swear its ignition but everythings been replaced at least once. Also scoped it today and ignition looks good for as far as I can load the engine.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much timing there?
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea. Maybe part of the hypertech chip's map. I'm getting no knock though. Should probably swap that back and see.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a lean miss compiled by timing. I didn't like the hypertext maps they were way too agressive.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the chip didn't do what I wanted it for anyway, it won't be a big loss. They're actually kind of hard to get for an lg4 now.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to get on the ball and finish installing the TCC controller. Got it set at 50mph at the moment. Nice not to have that kick in and out while city driving. Also swapped the chips over. Will need a drive to Longview to know if it did anything.

Deb's gotta drive the old beast to work a couple times. The yota came home with a seized brake caliper last night. (have I ever said anything about napa parts?) Caliper is 1 year and a week old. Evil or Very Mad Think every vehicle we have as an issue right now, unless I just fixed the 87s.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well seemed alot better but still has a miss under load. Then I got on it on one of the last hills on the way home and I think I have another issue as well. Seemed to run out of fuel. Went lean and had the typical fuel pump surge until I let off on it. Sad
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that car have the helper lift pump and then a mechanical pump? Could be that the lift pump died and the main pump is pulling through it.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lift pump probably doesn't have 500 miles on it. But yeah. new doesnt equal good.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a couple weeks ago ran fine to Schultz bday party and back. Fired it up today to head to town, no problems getting to town. Then she won't idle. At all. Even while coasting she dies. So I baby it home. I'm thinking vacuum leak. Close the choke flap - no change, pop a vacuum line off runs worse. Float bowl appears to be full, and the metering rods are clicking away. Plugged idle jet? I don't know.. I think I have some .223 ammo here with its name on them.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
I think I have some .223 ammo here with its name on them.

It does wonders for the frustration.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't get enough time to figure out the idle problem. But may have found the lean issue. Seems the purge solenoid is stuck and supplying vacuum to the tank at all times.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my first Rockauto order. Solenoid is obsolete through napa. Cheaper through rockauto anyway.. even with my discount.
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I order through rockauto all the time....for work, and then resell to shops. Laughing

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our catalogging is so screwed up that the parts guy regularly uses rockauto's to find a part # then crosses it on our system.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carb's gotta come apart again too. Tried cleaning out the idle passages externally, had it running nearly ok but kinda rough.. No sign of vacuum leaks anywhere with the purge cut off. Then gave it the rev and full choke treatment hoping it would suck the blockage through. Instead it seems to have made it much worse. Tells me something is caught in the idle passages. Sad
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it runs again! Then it doesn't Sad Disassembled and cleaned the carb out. Reset everything. Broke the factory gm tps putting it back together. Installed a new one and then set a code. Scanner showed new one only registering between 4 and 5v. Took carb apart again and sensor wouldn't go below 4v. So I disassembled my original carb and stole the tps out of it. This one works. Found 3 different vacuum caps that had rotted. So ordered a set of Buma N rubber caps. Hopefully they last longer. Replaced the purge solenoid with the replacement version. Still waiting for the proper harness to arrive, but rigged something up. Go for a drive to Castlerock. Runs pretty good.

But, on the trip my tach dies. Started jumping around and then just quit. Hasn't moved since. RPM still ok on scanner so its probably the tach itself. My indiglo gauge overlays have been acting up lately too, so I figure on removing that whole dash panel, installing the speedo and a set of led's in my original panel and putting that in the car.

Car still had a part throttle/heavy load miss. Drove it into work this morning to change oil. Got on it to pass a load of bicyclists (250 of them stayed the night at the local park last night) and it fell flat on its face. Hooked up the scanner again coming home. Get on it and it runs good/o2 goes to 0.86v for a few seconds, then it falls flat and starts surging. O2 goes to 0.01. Figure the carter mechanical pump has died and i'm probably just running on the 1/2 psi in tank pump. I guess its been a few years. I originally switched to the big carter because i'd gone through 5 or 6 factory replacements in 2 years. I blame the ethanol and the aftermarket not caring about carb cars anymore. Kicking myself for not just installing a tpi pump and a regulator.

Checked napa today for a new carter pump. Napa switched over to Airtex pumps now. The direct crossover for an airtex 120gph pump is no longer available anywhere. They currently recommend one of those pos external electrics. Sad So online I go once more.

This shits getting old. On our drive the passenger seat belt also locked up twice.. and the headlight refused to come up the first time I turned the lights on.

Anyone want to buy a car? It's practically new! Laughing

And to top it off, I went to change oil and we didn't have a single old school chevy v/8 oil filter. No 1060, 1061, or 1069's in stock at all. Sad So had to put that off as well.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! This problem is cheap and easy. So much so I feel foolish, but hey.. won't cost me much to fix. The in carb fuel filter won't even pass air! No sign of any particles at all, but the paper is turning dark. I removed the check valve and tried to blow through it.. Got about 3 bubbles and then it stopped up completely. Gotta be great gas to plug this thing up.

I did verify that both pumps work fine while I was at it. Even checked the cam lobe to make sure there was plenty of travel. All that looks good. Maybe that part throttle miss will finally be gone.

I didn't put this carb on all that many miles ago. Was fully kitted, new solenoid and filter at that time. So didn't even look at the filter this time. Duh Maybe I can check the forum.. see when I actually did that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: