Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New head unit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: New head unit Reply with quote

A few years ago bought an upper end pioneer unit for the 87. It's got iphone controls and alot of other features. Absolutely hate it. The thing is nearly impossible to find what you want, terrible folder access, button is so sensitive when the car hits a pavement edge you end up adjusting something you didnt want to. I mean its so bad you actually have to stop and spend 15 minutes to get it to play something again. Then when I switched to an android phone I found out it was incompatible. Very disappointed. But it does sound awesome.

I've used a few JVC units and they've been decent, but they have mixed reviews and I couldnt find the features I wanted.

When I bought my jeep it had a 2003 model pioneer premier with iphone controls and 2 aux inputs. Sounded awesome and worked amazing, but something just went wrong with the rca preouts and was getting alot of amplified buzzing unless you physically shoved them to one side. So it was time to replace. But with what?

Tonight I installed a Kenwood unit. Haven't had long to play with it, but oh my its so much easier. Didn't even need to use the manual to figure out how to sort through my music. 4v preouts, front & rear usb, front aux in, android and iphone compatible, bluetooth and HD radio. Everything I wanted and the kitchen sink. But most important the simple interface! Not sure why thats so hard to create.

Anyway, if anybody's in the market I haven't had long to play with it, but so far I'd recommend Kenwood just for their interface.
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Kenwood did you get B?

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kdcx998
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set up the phone part tonight. Easy peasy. Haven't tried a call yet(no service here) but I can access my contacts and call right from the deck. Supposed to be able to read my texts on screen as well. Played some blue tooth audio really well.

Also tried the radio. Clear out here in Skamokawa i'm picking up all kinds of stations. Not perfectly clear but very listenable. Seattle stations even. Their info even shows up on screen. If it stays like this that will mean this has the best radio reception of any deck i've had before too.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pioneer's higher-end stuff has always had an annoyingly twitchy dial. Sounds great, but a pain to use.

The irony is that when I bought the Yota it had one of their newer el-cheapo decks in it and that dial is a breeze to use. Bare bones on the features though. Laughing

Nice find on the Kenwood. I tend to forget about them as I usually stick to Alpine and Pioneer.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure i've ever had an Alpine, but i've had many many pioneers. The one that just died was excellent for being so old. The one in the 87.. I wouldnt recommend to anyone. Sound quality awesome, usability nil.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3d gen love today. The 4x50 sound ordinance amp in the 87 basically kicked the bucket. If you could stand to listen to it kick in and out for an hour it might eventually start working.. So out with that thing! I recently replaced a 4x50 Eclipse amp thats old as the hills but worked fine in the jeep. Since I only used 2 channels I thought I could get something that took up less space.. didn't quite work that way. But it did leave me with an old ugly amp that works fine. So I put it in the 87.

A bit different sound. The Eclipse is alot higher quality amplifier then the sound ordinance, but its a decade older. The SO amp sounds more powerful/hits harder. The Eclipse is just as loud but more full. Took alot different adjustment on the sound levels/eq to get it where I like it too. But hey this one has been kicking around in the back of the jeep for 12 years in the water and dirt. And it still works!

Also replaced a taillight.. and anyone who has a bird knows thats a chore. Remove all the rear plastics before you can get to the wingnuts to remove the lights.

Then got my hatch pull down working again. Last time I drove the car I got to harbor freight and put my stuff in the trunk.. then the hatch wouldnt shut. Evil or Very Mad Drove around longview with the wind holding it down. Eventually the pull down ran up where it latched.. but didnt seal the gasket. Turns out another victim of sitting without use, a bit of corrosion on the motor plug.

Last but not least.. washed the stinking owl shizzle off of it.. again. I gotta get my shizzle deflector re-hung in the barn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: