Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spokane WA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brisk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Spokane WA Reply with quote

Looking for a good reputable speed shop in Spokane Washington. I'm looking to get a pair of heads rebuilt, perhaps have them do some labour with instalation of heads and cam. If the workmanship and price is right, they'll be a candidate to build a new engine. I'm actually from BC but I can't find a reputable shop within a resonable distance, Spokane is only a couple hours away.

Thanks for any help or advice. I'd like to find a shop soon, spring is just around the corner!
Wolffy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in SPokane & know a couple of shops
what size engine is this for ?
its not usually to good of an idea to rebuild heads & leave the lower as they tend to grenade due to the new compression, this isnt always the case, but it does occur quite frequently
and i could possibly save you $$$ on parts I have a connection, i can usually get parts at 5% above cost, if that would help ya out let me know

Shawn
Brisk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saving money on parts is always extremely helpful!

I have a stock LB9 305 in my '88 iroc and I've bought a pair of used late model corvette L98 aluminum heads (the "113" casting number). I want to have a shop first off check them out (ebay purchase) then install new valve seals and check the spring rate. I have also acquired a ZZ3 cam which I will install with the heads, therefore the spring rate will have to be upgraded (unless there is already aftermarket parts on these heads) plus I'll have the shop install 1.6 rockers.

The heads in combination with the cam and rockers should give me a nice bump in power and a bit of a lopey idle. Its a fairly mild combination so hopefully it won't blow up my bottom end. I've also got headers and a posi 3.73 rear to bolt on, last year I installed a cat back exhaust and k&n's. This should make it a fun car this summer while I decide on what colour to paint it and bump up the suspension. Next winter I'll start building a new motor..., probably stroker.

Thanks Shawn, I'm going to Spokane tomorrow morning (Saturday Feb 26) ... I'm not ready to have work done, but I am looking for a reputable shop. Hope to hear from you soon!
Brisk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doh, I forgot to mention that my compression should remain the same. I don't see any reason why it would change.
Wolffy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on what your wanting
i have a 305 motor that i inherited from another crew member that was in the air force & when he got a medical discharge he went home to the midwest & its been sitting here since
it was assembled but not covered, so we tore it apart to check for crap that went internal, the block was machined, new internals, pistons, rings & such, its never been ran, not sure what the cam is in it or the heads, but its just sitting here taking up garage space
even if you just maybe wanted the shortblock, that would be kewl
all it needs is to be hot tanked, so everything is clean, last time i priced that out i was quoted about $100 & a complete gasket set, which was priced at $100, but now i can get that at cost
im not to sure what its got for internals, its been sitting for like 2-3 years now

let me think about some shops here, but 1 i will never deal with again is coffinis engines, long story, but i wouldnt let them work on my push lawnmoyer
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from 76cc chambers to 64 cc chamber heads which raised the compression quite a bit. Never touched the bottom and it is going on a couple years now. But I do baby it. Wink

You may want to have the aluminum heads milled. You may actually lose compression going with aluminum with the same 58cc chamber. Something about heat transfer and alot of other crap that I don't know anything about. Look into that. Smile
CheezX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try Fortin's Engines in Chilliwack. I had them build my short-block. They do lots of race engines too. I know one of the guys there. They're real honest and won't try to screw you over.
Brisk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice guys.., I picked up a phone book when I was in Spokane and I got a few other references for shops. Now I just have to pick one.
Wolffy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if u want to throw some names at me i could maybe give ya a thumbs up or down on some of them
ram engines did 1 engine for me, they are alright
coffinis engines -no way
jones is pretty decent & their prices used to be good (last time they did work for me), not sure on their current prices
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jones has a pretty good rep. All of the engines that Brandon's shop sells come from Jones and they have had really good results.

-Schultzy

12.73 @ 109.39, 1.793 60 \ 11.794 @ 121.16, 1.62 60 (old combo)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: