Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Local business

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Local business Reply with quote

I was just cruising through the jeep forums and discovered a local business I hadn't heard of before. They seem to be very highly regarded too. Redhead Steering Gears

http://www.steeringgears.net/

They not only remanufacture but make better then new it sounds like. I know that over the counter store brand boxes are more miss then hit too. Someday my 87 should probably get one of these.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I checked they wanted $700 for my RX7 box.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ow! They were quoting $400 for a jeep box. Couldnt find anything listed for 3d gens. $400's not too far of a stretch but $700s out of sight.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the guy who started the jeep thread called them and got a real quote.

" $266 after core charge." That doesn't sound so bad compared to normal parts house prices.

Napaonline is $140 for their crap. Bout a 50/50 chance its useable or better then what you took off.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their listed price for early GM stuff isn't bad. I can't see our style box being much more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a friend just put one on his jeep. And what do you know, I seem to be having issues as well. So I called them up yesterday at lunch. New box arrived this morning. Talk about quick service.

Since my jeep has a ZF mercedes box, which happens to be pretty much garbage, i'm retrofitting an earlier saginaw unit to my frame. Have to move one bolt hole and change the pressure hose. Sag unit was $255 exchange, and after speaking to Redhead they'll take my ZF as a core. Should find out sunday if its worth it or not. Thinking my 74 may need one soon as well.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got her done and finally drove it. Box has a nice firm feel and is very tight. Bit of a change from the ZF box, so hard to tell what Redhead might have done vs a stock box. The ratio seems to be more variable then the ZF, Slow in the middle and pretty quick past that. Interesting thing is if you turn the wheel fast it seems to turn easier then slow movements. Makes it nice for maneuvering but takes out some of the twitchiness on the highway.

No way to know longevity, but I like it enough I'll probably use one of their boxes on the firebird as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: