Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T56 X-member

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: T56 X-member Reply with quote

I just bought Paul's T56 and will have it in a couple of weeks. I already have his adapter plate to mate it to the bell housing (also Paul's). Aside from a stepped pilot bushing and new throwout bearing, I don't need many more parts to do the swap.

In my browsing, I've seen many different types of cross members for the swap. I'm looking for one similar to what I'm using now to keep the torque arm off the tail shaft. Best I've found so far is a piece from BMR, anyone know the good and bad about this one?

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=412&superpro=0
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have plans to go long tube headers at any point in time? If so then you'll want to make your own crossmember with double hump for exhaust clearance. If not, then you can use something like that.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically your biggest issue is ground clearance. My Spohn T56 crossmember was particularly bad for that.

That BMR unit does look pretty high, but it is only compatible with their torque arm, so you're looking at well over $500 out the door.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the BMR mount looks very similar to my UMI mount, even the way the torque arm attaches. To me, it looks as if I can use the bushing I am currently using for the stock torque arm.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PDF on their site:

Quote:
• BMR Torque Arm Relocation Crossmembers are designed to work with BMR torque arms only. They are not compatible
with OE or other aftermarket torque arms.

That said, you are right that it does look very similar to the factory bushing, so it's probably worth a call to their tech support.
MrMike98

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what ever brand you get-if-you have sub-frame connectors-check for fitment..
i have SFC and i did have to have my hawks xmember reworked- alot.
my sfc are welded to pad were xmember sets, and its close to the bolt holes.

MIke
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I thought. Texas Speed and Performance also sells the BMR unit and has a note that says I may be able to use my UMI bushing for OE torque arm.

Quote:
NOTE: As shipped, this part is designed to work with BMR torque arms only. It may be used with stock or other brands by simply replacing the bushing with the compatible unit. Example: A Random Technology torque arm will require the use of a Random Technology bushing.

I also found one or two other sites that sell the BMR unit which have the same note. I think I'll order this with the fact in mind that I may also need the "compatible" torque arm from BMR.

@Mike - Thanks for the advice, though I think I'm fine with my sub-frame connectors. I'm already using a relocation bracket for my T5 and have no issues with fitment, and this BMR unit uses the same bolt holes in the frame.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMR piece came by UPS today. Just as I thought, my UMI bushing for stock torque arm fits just fine.

Now to find some mounting bolts, I seem to have lost mine in the leaves in the driveway and swept them away. Fortunately, I have Tacoma Screw and Fastenal just down the road. Any ideas about what size they are? I seem to recall 10mm X 1.5 X 32.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: