Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dummy check! 3 wire o.p.s.u

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Dummy check! 3 wire o.p.s.u Reply with quote

Haven't been real active over the winter but I'm currently elbow deep in my camaro lol motor is sitting on the ground and the engine bay just got painted, throwing in all the goodies I've hoarded, New springs and steering components, now ive got a question about the oil pressure sending unit.

3 wire by the filter, according to some removing this will prevent the pump from priming, however looking at the wiring diagrams it looks like a fail safe for the relay, like if the relay goes Tits up the sending unit will allow the pump to run right? I'm asking because I'm running my aftermarket gauge wires while the motor is out and I've replaced the stupid factory one a thousand times for blowing oil through the center. The question is can I remove the factory one and put my aftermarket one in its place with no negative effects? Other than if my relay goes out it won't have a secondary circuit? I cant exactly test my theory right now with the motor on the floor lol any info would be greatly appreciated

I'll post pics as soon as we are done, I'm leaving for Philly next week and my buddy is gonna shoot the body while I'm gone so it'll be done very soon, and we tested the new clear coat, no snow spray so it's not gonna get jacked up like the last job [/b]

aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your entire hypothesis is correct. The 3-wire switch is a redundant system that ironically seems to fail more than the primary system because GM engineering.

Good to hear you're getting your crinkle-coat issues straightened out. Thumbs up
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine bay looks great, once I finish hooking up the motor we are gonne tape off the engine bay and spray the body, I just out in all new steering gear so it's dead on, and I installed the chopped springs I got from Al it's basically going to be a new car
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you pull the engine because of oil burning?
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No we pulled the engine to paint the engine bay, I have an aftermarket gauge I was delaying hooking up because it requires a separate sending unit, while pulling the harness oil spilled from the plug which means that in less than 10k miles I've burned up my second unit, because they are a crap design lol if it's not going to do it's job properly and I can make that oil plug location useful I'm going to kill two birds with one stone and just put my aftermarket unit there, the plug will be tucked away safely in case the pump stops running and I need to trouble shoot
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha, I just remember you made another thread about some oil burning before. Just wondering if you figured that out.
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narrowed it down to valve stem seals, haven't had a chance to change them because we can't risk getting oil on the prepped surfaces when it's all cured, cut and buffed I'll get around to doing them lol I just can't wait to drive my damn camaro again lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: