Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DIY Muffler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: DIY Muffler Reply with quote

So a few months ago I came across someone building their own muffler. Ive been occasionally hunting around for information on this. Wonder if anyone here has attempted this?

So the most basic and commonly made one is the "glass pack" style. Blow thru, holes inside, wrapped with fiberglass and then steel outer body.

More complicated, the baffled one where the airflow has to bounce n move around.

Ive been wondering if differently grades/styles of material change the sound since its all acoustics? What about changing from fiberglass to steel wool? Size of the holes? Location/pattern of holes. Angles of baffles.

Discuss.

20ft Longhorn Car Hauler
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine built one for his BB 87 maro. Dual in dual out packed with stainless steel wool. He was attempting to make it a sleeper but it was still fairly loud.
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built a muffler for my bmw (that I haven't mounted) and a resonator. Both were the "flow through" style. Expanded metal mesh rolled into a tube shape and shoved into a case that was packed with filler. The muffler I cut apart two other mufflers for materials so I used their filler. The resonator I actually used r19 fiberglass house insulation. I tested the insulation by holding my torch against it for about 5 minutes and it didn't do much so I figured it would be okay.

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think the steel wool would quiet it much, but I have seen a few postings about using it. Most use fiberglass, or a combo of both.

Did that expended metal come from inside the mufflers you cut apart, or a home depot find? Also how big were the holes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: