Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got hit. Not my GTA, my base bird.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Got hit. Not my GTA, my base bird. Reply with quote

Got rear ended/side swiped by a guy in an RV. We exchanged info and I am currently waiting on a callback from his insurance company. He admitted fault at the scene, and was a very nice guy. And yes, that hole goes all the way through. Rolling Eyes

aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to ask, but is time for a free totaled-out check and a cheap buyback?
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet its totalled. Might be time to evaluate if its cheaper to replace with better.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
Sorry to ask, but is time for a free totaled-out check and a cheap buyback?

last time I saw that car (Dyno, I think) it still had that scraped fender from when that garbage truck nailed you in the snow.

I'd be very suprised if they didn't total it. Buy it back, keep driving it and what ever you make you can put away, maybe towards getting the GTA painted or a vacation or something else.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current plan is to take the check, and then see about parting the car or not. I will probably part it/scrap it when the insurance runs out. I can take public transit to work and I think I am ready to not have a daily driver.

Last time the car was totaled (the garbage truck) I did not have to buy my car back, they just gave me money. Wink

aaron_sK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do decide to part it out hit me up. I would be interested in a package deal on some stuff.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some follow up to the story. The insurance agency of the guy who hit me, heretofore referred to as "insurance company" and I have been going back and forth for a few weeks. here is the much shortened timeline:

9/25/13 - collision

9/27/13 - 1st contact with insurance company.

10/03/13 - estimator came out to asses the damage.

10/08/13 - insurance company called, offered me $651 for the car, which was deemed a total loss. I declined the offer and asked what could be done. I was told to send her comparable vehicles.

10/11/13 - insurance company said the comparable did not change the value of my car. I requested the full report and found out they were devaluing my car for $500+ for interior, engine, and transmission damage. I asked how they could make that assessment, and they finally ceded the point, making a new offer of $1,122. I declined the offer. One of their comparable cars was from the rust belt, I pressed on that. I sent her a few more comparables to use, and she said she would give me a new estimate.

10/14/13 - New report from insurance company, value of my car adjusted up by $11. rust belt comparable still there. I called the guy who was advertising the car. He turns out to be an enthusiast, and a TGO member. He gives me the real info on the car, the rust, the engine problems, the interior and paint issues. I tell the insurance company to throw that one out, and either average the other two of the three cars, or use an alternate.

10/16/13 - New offer made of $1,275. I accepted.

So this 1,200 is going into a special savings account labeled "LSx Swap". The research and part hunting begins now. That or I am buying a 2 door Chevett/T1000 and slapping this 2.8 into it, Hardcore style. Twisted Evil
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mind naming names, or do you want to wait until the check clears? Laughing I'm always curious to see what insurance companies try to fight with you.

$1200 isn't bad, especially considering the previous damage. I hate to be a downer but it's more than you could have gotten for it if you had sold it outright.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have been happy with the $1122. Before I called the insurance company I decided I would not accept less than $1,000; but I was relay hoping for 1,200. The last time my car was totaled I got 1,400. Had I sold it outright I probably would have been able to get 1,000 if I was willing to wait for the right buyer, 500-700 if I needed it gone.

I'll wait until the check is in hand before I name names. Wink from what I have heard, if you are not the insured motorist, but rather the guy on the receiving end, they will ALWAYS offer you about 40% less than what they think is fair.

Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xophertony wrote:

That or I am buying a 2 door Chevett/T1000 and slapping this 2.8 into it, Hardcore style. :twisted:

:lol: Good luck finding a chevette.

I'd still try to sell the car outright, even with the damage. That's easily another $600-700 you could get for it and put towards your LSX swap.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think? I don't watch the thirdgen market as much as you. here is the lowdown:

235K miles
needs a windshield replaced.
tires about 50%
intirior in good shape
hood in rough shape.
paint in general in rough shape.
rear quarter has a HOLE in it.
front right fender still badly damaged from the dump truck, and needs to be replaced.
needs a new alternator (the voltage regulater has failed, causing the alternator to bounce in and out of charge mode sometimes making the engine surge)

Think I can get more than $500 for it?

aaron_sK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will make more parting it and scrapping the shell then you will selling it outright.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did pretty good with that insurance company. When our Formula was totalled we got $1800, the car and a whole lotta attitude.

Had to love the seattle insurance person telling me "that's a really old car, but you people seem to like it"
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
You will make more parting it and scrapping the shell then you will selling it outright.

aaron's probably right. if you have the time and patience and the room and aren't in a hurry to see it go away... Shrug

ulitimately its your car and your decision.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
You did pretty good with that insurance company. When our Formula was totalled we got $1800, the car and a whole lotta attitude.

Had to love the seattle insurance person telling me "that's a really old car, but you people seem to like it"

What do you mean, you people?
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He means these people

chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine that family's hairspray bill..
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
Imagine that family's hairspray bill..

Probably only slightly less than her coke budget!
RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xophertony wrote:
I requested the full report and found out they were devaluing my car for $500+ for interior, engine, and transmission damage. I asked how they could make that assessment, and they finally ceded the point...

Insurance companies are right up there with lawyers when it comes to shady, down right scandalous business practices. I would have ripped someone a new ass for that BS! Mad

Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSFreak wrote:
Xophertony wrote:
I requested the full report and found out they were devaluing my car for $500+ for interior, engine, and transmission damage. I asked how they could make that assessment, and they finally ceded the point...

Insurance companies are right up there with lawyers when it comes to shady, down right scandalous business practices. I would have ripped someone a new ass for that BS! Mad

I stayed positive and relaxed through the entire ordeal. I explained myself fully, and calmly and NEVER let emotion enter my speaking tone. In no way could the adjuster ever say I was being irrational. I ended every call with "thank you for working with me on this". I don't know if it made a difference, but I did everything I could to make the person on the other end of the phone feel we were on the same team.

... except for once. when we had gotten up to $1122 she said "I feel we have reached a price that is fair" I could not stop myself from saying "If 1122 if fair why did you offer me 645?" Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: