Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

yes its time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pff... nice firebird spoiler on that maro.

but asdfga3 has a good point. you car is not exactly in "good condition", and if you say anything about your "exhaust work" i am going to drive to topanish and slap you Very Happy Laughing

all kidding aside though, buying another ride might be in your best interest, you can also part out the usable stuff on your current one to re-coupe some of the cost of the new one. and transfer over your "exhaust" and some of your nicer parts if the one you buy has some broken interior stuff. there is deffanetly enough parts value in your current car to be able to afford headers after you strrip it down. then you would have an "exhaust system". instead of "exhaust work" Wink
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially with a V6. I mean a V8 camaro with all the options might be worth it, but base model V6 Camaro's are literally a dime-a-dozen. The only time a swap like that is really worth it, is in cases like Al's where you have enough money and work into the body and drivetrain of the car, that buying a new one would cost you more.
Danked
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont care how much its worth now or how much it'll be worth afterwards, i just want it to run right, i do want to do all kinds of crap, and i do have a job and i have been saving, i got like $500 right now, wont take long too put all this new crap on it and make it run right, what i really want is most of all is for the knocking to stop, ride it a little and sell it, not say what happened and just say screw it, its not my problem anymore and get what u guys have, '89 iroc t-tops 350'
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, mine's an '87 IROC 350 w/T-Tops. Razz

Is the car actually driveable now, and just knocking? If so, you don't have a broken connecting rod. Rolling Eyes
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asdfga3 wrote:
Look at it this way man:

Cost of engine
+
Cost of install
+
Cost to replace everything else wrong with the car
(tranny mount, paint, suspension, ect.)
+
Price you originally paid for the car
=?

If this is higher than the total value of the car to you, or the cost of an equivelant replacement, you've got a problem.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/car/172525064.html
Edit: Just for refference: you could buy this for $1600, get a radiator for under $200. Plus, you get better paint. Wink

I have a radiator for that in my garage. Still holds water. It is for the 5-speed since it has no provision for a tranny cooler.

Last edited by Al Hasse on Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Danked
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah its drivable, when it started knocking i was almost home and floored it and it sped up waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy slower than normal
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait, you are fixing this to sell it?

look at this for a second. that add on craigs list was for a medium miles 3.1 that is mostly original with NEW (macco Rolling Eyes ) paint. for less then 2K

you (will when done) have a car with original paint, and a replacement motor. you will have spent 1.6K getting it there. it won't sell for that much. period. if you want an example of how much v6 fbodys are not worth take a look at my clasified add for my v6 back when i was trying to sell it. rebuilt engine, all new suspension/steering INCLUDING springs. non leaking ttopsaand ok paint (at the time). shiny wheels and new tires etc.. sold for 1300. could have gotten 1800 if i would have sat on it a while. and it was in (no offense) about 3 times the condition yours will be in after your swap.

i am not saying this to cut down your car, i am just trying to save you cash. you will not get out of that thing what you put in it. unless you get damn lucky and find some stupid kid who has no conception of value.the prior owner of my car got that lucky. i was that idiot kid. when i bought my v6 car it looked likeTHIS

and i paid 2K for it... leaky tops, 14" wheels with crappy half worn tires, possably a bent frame (will never know if i did it or it was like that) one stage paint, worn suspension and a tape deck mounted with wood in the radiopod and a shot interior (sagging broken headliner).... man, what a lesson..... i did not make that mistake twice Very Happy

anyway.... yeah. so that is my opinion. but again your money. an idea for you though. chris has a car that needs some motor work, it's an 86 350 (not original motor) camaro with GFX.

EDIT*
engine bay shot of when i got it.

EDIT** actualy this must have been a little after i got it, because the cruise control is not present in this shot. that was my first mod. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Xophertony on Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked

You paid 2K for that bird? Jesus! That's screwed up, man.

Danked, how much did you buy the car for, and how much do you think you can get back out of it? Oh, and if you sell it, do you have anything else you can drive/borrow/steal/ect. to get to work and whatnot?
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, tell me about it..... and thems 2003 dollars. and to be more specific i think it was like 1850 or 1900. i talked him down a bit from 2,350 (i think) that the add originaly stated.

and to think.. 3ish years later i bought a 1988 GTA with a 350 in realy good shape (mostly) for just 1000 more...

like i said i had no idea what these things were (or were not) worth. here it is two years, 40K miles and about 1.2K in parts later and i can't even get my original purchase price out of her... thats cool though, becuse she is mine and i don't want to sell her.

EDIT* i just looked it up, i tittled her on 07/07/2003. Very Happy our aniversery is coming up. Lovey lovey i'll hafta buy it somthing nice. perhaps it's about time i got that rattling rear vew mirror fixed. Wink

EDIT** oh and in my deffense it had less then 10K on a rebuild and the oil came out looking so clean you could make a salad dressing with it. was like that until about 7K ago actualy, now it comes out prety dark...
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna go ahead and reaffirm what aaron and tony have said.

I bought my first Black 84 camaro sport coupe for $75. Paint and interior looked great. Driver door sagged HORRIBLY. Didn't run. Allegedly had "carburator problems" Tried to troubleshoot it for about 4 months and get it up and running. got rid of my intermittently functioning power window regulators for crank ones (sold the power ones for like $20 each), another $150 between new carburator parts, oil, coolent, Coil, cap, rotor, MAF sensor, Throttle Postion sensor, spark plugs, wires, another jukyard carb to steal parts, I couldn't get it working. Tony helped me tow it to a mechanic, and a $60 diagnostic later, it was confirmed that it had sucked an exhaust valve and had no compression in one cylinder and horrible compression on two others. Sure a head rebuild would make the thing a running champ again: Didn't seem worth the investment, since inevadably I'd want a V8 car anyways. Parted the car, Only made about $50 in various parts, and the scrap price of the car was another $95. I either took a slight loss on it, or broke even.

Went out and bought a car that I knew ran, and didn't have the problems my other had.......or so I thought

Paid $625 for the 85 Z/28 I have now that threw a rod. I spent $350 on a carb, and $90 on a distributor, Plus another $25 for new belts and fluids so that means I"m now roughly $1050 into the car. I'll NEVER get that out of it, even parting it.

What I'm saying is that you get what you pay for. If something is cheap, is probably gonna have problems that will need to be addressed immeadately or soon after driving it, if it even runs at all.

If I'd saved the money I had for the 85, plus what I spent total on the 84, this is what it adds up to:
75+150+625+350+90+25=$1315.

That's money I could have had in my pocket to put towards a nicer 3rd gen F-body.

Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought mine for $200, had to get it inspected, new tires, tabs, plates, spark plug wires, passenger window, my exhaust work done, o2 sensor, belt tensioner pulley, 2 alternators, 3 oil changes, a tranny filter + fluid change. altogether ive already put like a grand into it what do i do? just throw it away Sad
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are trying to save money for a better thirdgen... yes. take off all your new parts, and anything else you want, then slowly part it out on ebay/TGO/cascaecrew/craigslist until it is a chassis only and cart it off to a scrap yard. with the $$ you make parting it, plus what you take in on scrap, plus what your grandma gives you for a motor you will come out prety good.

also this will give you much needed experiance taking apart thirdgens, so any future repairs will go more smoothly. when i first started working on these i would go to the junkyard and practice taking things apart, that way if i do it wrong and break somthing it is on a junkyard car Very Happy

But if you are dead set on making sure this camaro does not see the crusher, putting a new engine in it is a damn good way to do that. i promised both of my cars that as long as they were even remotly fixable i would never scrap them, and i don't intend too. i am "irationaly emotionaly attached" to my cars. it's odd, its just with the thirdgens... i could'nt care less what happened to my other cars.. new owner wrecked my sazuki samurai inside of two months, don't know what happened to my jeep after i got rid of it.

but yeah, parts. just from what i can see in your sig here is what you got:
$$$ part
30 hood
30 hatch
150 rear bumper cover/front bumper cover and all GFX
30 ttops
75 rear end
100 wheels
10 a-arms (both)
40 Kmember
20 rebuildable 3.1 block ??
60 doors (both)
25 windows (both)
10 tail lights
30 front quarter pannals

thats 610 just from waht i see in the photo (well, a little more) that is if all of those parts are in decent shape, and you can actualy find somone to buy them. (thats the tough part)

EDIT* omg these things are worth more in parts then they are whole Shocked ......... if one were so inclined one could make quite a good living "aquiring" cars and selling the parts.... hmmm.. ::goes and buys a slimjim:: Twisted Evil

Last edited by Xophertony on Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Danked
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude thats exactly how i feel, but i want something fast, where when it shifts, pulls u back even at 2k rpms and ppl are like ".......wtf was that..." or when i floor it, it holds u back in the seat hard thats why i wanted to do a 350 swap
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V6 with 5-speed manual is no slouch. Granted, it's not as fast as the V8 since it doesn't have the same torque and horspower. 1st and 2nd gears pull pretty good when you floor it. I can always lay a patch of rubber in 1st gear and momentarily break traction (chirp the tires) in 2nd gear with a quick shift, even with the 245 width tires, and my motor is bone stock.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know why everyone always says a 350 swap is so hard. all you need is a complete running ready to drop in non computer controlled 350, transsmission, tranny crossmember, springs, engine mounts, a wire harness, a radiator, and you need to bend/replace your front brake line, and then replace your tank-to-enginebay fuel lines with ones from a v8 doner car. that is it. thats the whole list right there...... hey wait. thats realy hard. Shocked

EDIT*

Al Hasse wrote:
I can always lay a patch of rubber in 1st gear and momentarily break traction (chirp the tires) in 2nd gear with a quick shift, even with the 245 width tires, and my motor is bone stock.

you can!? i sure as hell can't!! i "chirped" in first the other day and thought it was a big deal... i got 235s i think... hmmm. starting to think everyone was wrong when they said my car could beat yours. we should race.... Shocked
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet you could even burn it all the way through first if you ran it up to 3k and dropped the clutch, and drilled the gas. if I do that in my 01 I can burn through 1st and half of 2nd gear....

oh, and I think I finally figured out a formula to do a brakestand with my 4th gen:

Take the ABS fuse out, Run it up to 3K in 1st, drop it, let em spin until they cut loose, and then feather the brake.The car rolls foward slightly, too much more brake pressure makes the rear's start working. Did it yesterday. total movement is about 10-15 feet foward from launch. Didn't burn off as much tread as I thought I would.

Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Hasse wrote:
Give me time to properly break in this motor first - maybe sometime after the Canadian Cruise Very Happy

yeah, whenever you are ready. i may have a clutch that actualy grips for more then one launch in by then (my current one likes to slip....)

EDIT* you know.... the whole time i have driven this thing i have neve ronce "dropped the clutch" unless there was snow on the ground (fun times)... i should try that before i put in the new one.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xophertony wrote:
[
... i may have a clutch that actualy grips for more then one launch in by then (my current one likes to slip....)
you know.... the whole time i have driven this thing i have neve ronce "dropped the clutch" unless there was snow on the ground (fun times)... i should try that before i put in the new one.

Shocked make sure you do that about a block from your dad's house, or a block from clutch doctors, so that way you(we?) don't have to push it very far when your clutch goes up in smoke.

I'm amazed I didn't glaze the friction lining completely or the flywheel and have no grip power after cows in the 4th gen......

Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres my fender

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/08b4d82c48.jpg

Last edited by Danked on Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well yeah, around corners..... and anyone can Powerbrake an automatic... my moms 3.8 liter buick could powerbrake... and it was FWD!

but doing a burnout in a stickshift is a little harder... ask dewey316 or quasitraction how they know. ort anyone who was at cows for that matter.... Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Wanted All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: