Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wiring help, WA - Will pay if needed!-
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more progress today, just a little. We pulled the wheel so I could fish the dimmer switch rod through to the multifunction lever, then mounted the ignition and dimmer switches on the column. Those are wired, except for I believe the ignition switch to starter enable relay, there is a purple pigtail hanging off the switch.

Tried to start on the gauges, but need to rewire the connectors since they came out with the original harness. I'm thinking about daisy-chaining all the 12V together, the grounds together and the back-lights to keep the wires behind there to a minimum, then that will leave the senders, high beam and directional indicators. Across the bottom, I think all he needs is a brake light.

From looking, I think what he has left is the windshield wiper circuit, horn, hazards, heater controls and radio.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Hasse wrote:
the ignition switch to starter enable relay, there is a purple pigtail hanging off the switch.

Fat purple is starter trigger. Heads to the shifter, and turns yellow there.

Al Hasse wrote:
I'm thinking about daisy-chaining all the 12V together, the grounds together.

That's how Chevy did it, and how I always do them. When you do the grounds, don't forget that each gauge has two (one for lights, one for power)
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not used to Alupdates without pictures. Very Happy Cool you're making progress!

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Aaron for the info. I realized some time after I posted that the lights and have their own power and grounds...well, at least power, otherwise there would be no control by the dimmer and the lights would always be on Cool Time to mark up the back of the gauge cluster again Razz

Ian, I had my camera with me the whole time, but too busy to pull it out of my pocket, most of Sunday was head scratching trying to figure out which pieces of the original harness are still needed Laughing
izcain
9sec Club

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al if you need any other schematics or info let me know I am sure I can dig some up and e-mail them or otherwise...... (I have a shopkey account)

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be awesome Zac! Trying to go between Haynes and Painless isn't the easiest thing to do. Haynes is pretty limited as far as electrical goes. I think he has an 86 Berli, originally 2.8, so most of the dash which I'm working on will be for that. Only difference is the gauge cluster which used to be in my 89.
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Hasse wrote:
That would be awesome Zac! Trying to go between Haynes and Painless isn't the easiest thing to do. Haynes is pretty limited as far as electrical goes. I think he has an 86 Berli, originally 2.8, so most of the dash which I'm working on will be for that. Only difference is the gauge cluster which used to be in my 89.

Check alldata. Wink They actually have pretty good wiring diagrams. They're basically direct scans of the old GM shop manuals.
izcain
9sec Club

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had all data for awhile and ditched it and went with shopkey since I was not able to get the information I needed from all data sometimes but hey some people have better luck with it then others. I used all data a long time ago and it worked well but then last year I went to set up the program and it was not the same.

Al I will look it up tonight and try to send you some schematics if I can.

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More progress today. Thanks Brad for the shop manual, it helped immensely Cool We got the gauges all wired and installed, checked all the gauge lights, indicators and gauges less tach and oil pressure which need engine running - all work fine. Building the harness was quite fun, using wires from the original harness and soldering them to what was cut off from the connectors. Figured out the wiring for the horn relay and hazard flasher, will probably wire those without being in the convenience center. Pigtail from ignition switch needs to go to the clutch switch, from there to the starter (manual trans, Aaron but same idea as you mentioned earlier Wink ). Still to go inside the car - wipers, heater controls, brake switch on handle, radio.

Here's Jesse and his dad figuring out his new steering wheel (I heard he needs a spacer yet)

New 110MPH gauges cluster, it's not 145MPH, but better than the 85MPH he had Very Happy

Making progress on a gauge connector

Some of what's left of the original harness. I was pulling corresponding color-coded wires from this to build the gauges harness.

More progress... The yellow wire, and a couple others weren't used for this cluster, they were folded over and taped up which was easier than removing them from the connector.

First of the two connectors prior to taping it up and tying it into the second connector.

Jesse with his new steering wheel.

Darbbackwords

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear it was useful. Looks like you guys are making some good progress Very Happy
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manual worked great. It had a diagram at the back of the gauges section which showed a view of the C1 and C2 connectors, and which color wire and its function, was at each pin, You can just see it by my knee as I solder Cool Though installed, they're still not connected to the car. I tested each function possible with a battery, then watched for a gauge reaction or a light to light. Either Jesse will connect them, or I'll get them next time I'm over.
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool Al. Looks like a lot of work but helping him get there.

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crewbies helping crewbies. Awesome. Smile
Wulfist

1987 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it has been fun. I can't thank Al enough for all the help he is giving my Dad and I. I should be on the road with it in due time. Hopefully after it is done I can get to meet more of ya in person =P.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to ruin the topic for everyone, but Al, what's the d/l on your soldering setup? I've had it about up to my eyes with building harnesses using crappy Messican soldering irons.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my set-up Aaron. I've got a nice butane iron which I neglected to bring with me. I was using an old Craftsman with a worn out tip, sitting on its base and a piece of tape holding the trigger closed Laughing Belongs to Jesse's dad. The tip was so worn out that it wouldn't tin, I had to use the side of the iron to melt the solder.

Check it out

Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a break last weekend, had other plans. Made a little more progress today. Actually hooked all the gauge wires to the Painless harness, ran out of shrink tube so Jesse will tape up each soldered splice then wrap the entire harness.

Installed the battery and tested what gauges we could without starting the car. The bulb test works on the ignition switch (brake light comes on), temp gauge spikes like it should, then returns to rest. Volt meter was low, but then I think the battery was too. Fuel gauge slowly rises to past full (open sender wire I think). Blinkers and hazards work, brake lights work, all the running lights and license plate lights work, backup lights not wired to trans yet.

Problems to look at. Rear blinkers come on with the brake lights (I didn't wire the back of the car), marker lights illuminate, but don't blink with blinkers. Dedicated high beams (inner pair) don't come on, but the hi/low (outer pair function normally at each setting - apparently engine bay harness, but not sure. Need to get the female connector (at the steering column) for the wiper motor with some wires on it to complete the wiper circuit.

I got a bit more done today then I thought I would, and my little butane soldering iron was awesome.

Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Hasse wrote:
Rear blinkers come on with the brake lights (I didn't wire the back of the car), marker lights illuminate, but don't blink with blinkers.

It seems the Painless harness was quite generic and included a wire on the brake switch for cars with red directionals and designed to interrupt the brake light when the blinker is on, removed that wire and all is well Cool The marker lights were wired with a ground (they're not supposed to have one), wired them to either side of the park/turn signal lights (the hot leads) and they work like they're supposed to.

Al Hasse wrote:
Dedicated high beams (inner pair) don't come on, but the hi/low (outer pair function normally at each setting - apparently engine bay harness, but not sure.

Problem seems to have fixed itself. I might, or might have him pick up the front end of the headlight harness and re-do the splices.

Al Hasse wrote:
Need to get the female connector (at the steering column) for the wiper motor with some wires on it to complete the wiper circuit.

That's done, but even with all power and ground on the proper wires, the motor still doesn't move, just clicks once with the switch selection, washer motor works fine. Possibly low battery, but reads 12V with my meter.

We still haven't figured out the fuel gauge. Still reads overfull, like an open sender wire. I checked the wire I attached to the gauges harness prior to soldering the sender wire from the rear to it, worked fine then. I haven't checked continuity from the front to the rear, but it's supposedly all one unbroken wire from my splice to the fuel tank connector.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, after a couple of weeks of not getting anything done, we're almost there. I believe I got the blower motor all hooked up, I used the harness for A/C as that's the controls he has and used the A/C resistor pack - apparently, the line for the pressure switch doesn't get used so it stays disconnected. A vacuum line needs to be routed through the firewall to operate the vacuum manifold switch in the control head.

I think all I have left is power to the rear window defogger and the cigarette lighter, the defogger takes a 35 amp breaker (ACC Power) in the fuse block. Painless doesn't have a breaker, so I'll run a fused line to the battery and tap the cigarette lighter off that with its own smaller fuse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: