Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4 banger to a 5.0 conversion Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjprince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: 4 banger to a 5.0 conversion Help Reply with quote

Has anyone in the Portland area ever done a L4 to 305 engine swap befor? I am in the final stages and am getting ready to drop it into my 1983 Firebird. I have already done some of the things needed to get her ready for the larger engine but am a little worried about wiring, computer, etc. I have already done new springs, front suspension, and motor mounts. I live in the Hillsboro area so i have to DEQ, and if there is someone ou there that can help me it would be VERY helpfull, maybe even someone in the west side. I have the 5.0 just about done and am looking at swaping in the next month or so. Please help anyone

Kevin

83 Firebird
04 Aztek
65 C 10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JohnnyIROC-Z

1995 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, While I've never done the swap I can almost gurantee you that the existing computer will not work, it's setup for only the 4 cylinders so you'll need a computer from a v8 car, you'll also need new wiring harness I'm sure, i think maf sensor knock sensor and so on, unless you're car is going to be carbed with an aftermarket carb. You'll need to let us know a bit more about it.
Flyte risk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me with your phone # and when a good time to call is. There is alot more that I would need to know before I could say if your good to go or not.

If you need a quick hand or two I'm just down the street in Aloha and I work in N. Plains so I always in the area.
kjprince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: More INFO--------- Reply with quote

The engine is a 1979 305 bored 30 over, Crane Energizer Cam & Lifters, Flat top pistons, 14022601 HO Heads, Performer Intake, Performer 600 cfm carb w/elect choke & EGR (though i might just block off the EGR), mech fuel pump, Malory Comp 9000 Dist w/hiwire 4 controler and coil. If i can i would like to compleatly bypass any computer control but this engine HAS TO pass DEQ or else i would have to swap back and forth every two years with the 4 cyl and i really dont want to have to do that. The Shop that did the work on the block and heads estimated that i would be getting about 10 to 10.5:1. Did i forget anything lol???

I also found a doc that goes though alot of the thing i would need to do but there are alot of little things that i still have no idea on. Also i am replacing the entire exhaust system with a single 2.5 system w/ cat and then dual out from the muf, i have also put on Hedman Shorty headers.

83 Firebird
04 Aztek
65 C 10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JohnnyIROC-Z

1995 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allright well, first off with that engine the computer will have nothing to do as nothing is controlled by it when swapping an engine all the way out in that manner and changing induction and such, Second. IF they choose to look under the hood you will fail deq. You WILL need a NEW catalytic converter and you will need to have this thing in PERFECT tune to pass deq as long as they do not check under hood. If they look inside your car and see your check engine light on you will also automatically fail DEQ. Your fuel lines i do believe are on the wrong side but being carbed it won't be a problem. Ummm... it is illegal to swap an engine into a car that the car was not offered with. Also to swap an older engine than the car is into it is also illegal. Don't let that stop you though. good luck and if you need any more advice let us know
kjprince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know if this matters but I called DEQ the other day and found this out.

1.1983 veh req no under hood inspection, just sniffer test and mirror to make sure cat is still there (i was planing on getting a brand new high flow cat when the exhast is replaced)

2. One standard for all engines, there is a top emisions req that all engines on that car had to pass no matter if it was a 4, 6, or 8.

dont know if this helps

also here is a pic of what i have so far on it.....if i can get this pic to work that is lol

83 Firebird
04 Aztek
65 C 10
JohnnyIROC-Z

1995 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, it's not required, which just means they don't HAVE to look. But if for some reason they do, like the cars louder then it shoudl be blah blah blah, and it's not there they have to fail you. It's federal law that we aren't allowed to tamper with emissions system in ANY way. which is pretty dumb
ET phone hoME

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang that thing looks awesome!
kjprince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Cont Reply with quote

the only thing that i would be worried about is the EGR valve, i was going to use one and even got one but with the intake and carb i found out (just yesterday) that i need a spacer/adapter for the Edelbrock set up.....the crapy part of it is that ONLY Edelbrock sells it, summit has it for 45 plus handling or baxters has it for 49. If it is thought that it would make the emisions test better then i will prob use it just $50 for a darn spacer is a tad high dont you all think lol

also, how was emisions handeld for a carb'd car from this year? was it still computer or something else. can i still use a computer (for a 8 of course) to help with some of the emmisions stuff? OHHHH the list of questions goes on.....and on.....and on.....and on.....and on......

If you ever spent 3 grand to replaced a 4 cyl with a 8 cyl...........

you might be a redneck Very Happy

something i just noticed....it's not a hywire 4 just a hywire ( 1 i would guess)

83 Firebird
04 Aztek
65 C 10
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carb's on these cars were all computer controlled. Except for canadian models. A computer will do nothing for you unless you use the matching computerized carb and distributor. Getting the edlebrock carb to pass will probably take alot of tuning.. you'll need a jet/rod assortment for sure. The EGR valve lowers NOx emissions. I believe they test for that in oregon. You're right in that they test all cars to one set level for that year.. what they dont tell you is that that level is higher then these cars passed when new. In other words the test is designed for you to fail. Ask Dewey bout that one. Putting that motor in isnt such a big deal passing emissions might be. You might just want to register out of town.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: