Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New member and car amongst us 89 SSA Firebird!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: New member and car amongst us 89 SSA Firebird! Reply with quote

My buddy chris moved up here from az, we rebuilt his GTA down there and he ended up selling it after overhauling the motor putting a ton of money in and his trans destroyed itself, hes living with me up here now and we just picked him up an 89 SSA firebird

*ORIGINALLY* its supposed to be a v6 with a sport packaged so it looked like the trans am

*NOW*
Its got a 305 tbi in it, looks like a complete harness and motor swap, it has a NAAASSSSTY TBI on it, all gunked up, random wires ive picked thru and an exhaust leak because the air tubes are missing from the factory manifolds, the exhaust has kink bent autozone tubing thats all gonna get redone eventually. Its got the triganlge edelbrock filter on it currently with the IAT just tied up in the engine bay and the 02 sensor is just plain not wired up

Its throwing 2 codes, 13, and 23, explained reasons above so theyre easy fixes, were just gonna throw a bolt in the factory manifold hole and get rid of the massive exhaust leak, throw some seafoam in it and give it some good TLC and itll be golden mechanically

The front clip is cracked not worth repairing IMO, and the passenger side fender is pushed in, either find a new one or repair it havent decided yet

Car is a rattle can 2 tone and i think we're gonna experiment with the tracot paint job over on tgo (i was impressed for the $ invested)

And the interior is pretty damn solid except for the back seat that folds has a tear across the top, were taking it to work on sunday and spraying all the crap off of it with the pressure washer.

some needed parts to track down are gonna be v8 springs, large sway bars (still has v6 suspension! >_<) front clip, and maybe a fender

Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of those manifolds, with AIR tubes sitting in the garage. Also, if interested, I have a set of stock V8 springs, they're a bit on the soft side being RS springs though.

Oh, and a welcome aboard too!!!

aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Z28 front sway bar here. Also some worn Z28 springs. Scrap metal prices for 'em since that's where they were headed. Laughing
redlava

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some z-28 springs at my parents house in Vancouver. They are coming up to Bremerton, the middle of next month. Just another option with a shorter drive. I'll let them go for 10 bucks.
soocrispy89

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: ssa Reply with quote

Al Hasse I'll take those manifolds and air tubes. how much are you looking for? and i might take you up on those rs springs if i cant get some stiffer ones. Aaron_sK how much would you want for that sway bar? And redlava ill take those z28 springs, just let me know when you wanna meet up. Thanks guys for all the help.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: ssa Reply with quote

soocrispy89 wrote:
how much would you want for that sway bar?

Shrug

10 bucks I guess? I dunno.
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris I thought we were just rigging up the manifold?
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plugging manifolds can be done from the top. No reason to replace them unless he's building an emissions car and the threads in his current logs are buggered.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: ssa Reply with quote

soocrispy89 wrote:
Al Hasse I'll take those manifolds and air tubes. how much are you looking for? and i might take you up on those rs springs if i cant get some stiffer ones.

Well, I paid $10 for my current spring, maybe these can go for the same. Like Aaron said, you can plug the manifolds from the to, but if you want these, maybe anothe $10 for the set.

Last edited by Al Hasse on Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
Plugging manifolds can be done from the top. No reason to replace them unless he's building an emissions car and the threads in his current logs are buggered.

Exactly my thought, we dont have an emmissions battle anymore (thank god) so plugging the air tube hole is a matter of a bolt and maybe some red thread locker? Im not sure of them temp range on them but ive got both.red and blue on hand

Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultra Copper. Thats what I used for an EGR gasket on my V6, it's been holding strong for about a year now.
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soubds good ill drill the hole for the IAT tonight and hopefully we can fet.a bolt to seal up the manifold
soocrispy89

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah were just gonna get a bolt and delete out the tubes. and as for the springs i need some bigger ones cause of the bigger motor with all factory v6 springs. so if you just want 20 for the set im ok with that.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're here, just sitting in the garage. It's not far, Andy's been to my place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: