Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I have air....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: I have air.... Reply with quote

I know, not the right time of year for it, but for the first time since I've owned my red 89, it has working A/C Very Happy $50 for a used compressor from kurfbird, about $30 for refrigerant (R134-a) and an hour's worth of labor. So a grand total just under $150, which includes the appropriate taxes.

Now I can dry out the warm air I'm blowing on the windshield to do a better job with defrost in winter, and be comfy in the summer Cool

chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you've just joined the old guys club... which reminds me.. mine quit working. It's like i'm young again! Laughing
Whiskeychick

1987 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be nice R134a, my R12 is starting to get warm Sad
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs up Cool

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the 92 needs to be serviced. It has R134-a already, but it's been a few years and it's starting to blow warm too.
BigDaddyVu
12sec Club

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few years ago my first ac job on my t/a was simple but after awhile it didn't blow enough cold air out of the vent. last summer i decided to do it right, my friend a hvac guy helped me i had to change the orifice tube, air dryer and a new ac pump and fill the oil sump with 8 oz, flush the system seal it and used nitrogen gas to put it under pressure for atleast 24 hours put a vaccum pump with recovery tank on it for 36 hours check for psi drop and while under vacuum charge with 4 cans 134a and put adhesive heat wrap around my air dryer now it blows 34 degrees at the vent. it was a long and painful job changing every freaking o-ring with green o-ring

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, cold air isn't there yet. We knew the orifice tube needed replacing to use R134a, so for now, my air isn't any cooler than the vent setting. Come spring time, we'll recover the R134a, replace the tube, draw vacuum and recharge the system (which was the plan when I had this done). For the time being, I'm just concerned with dehumidified air going on the windshield for defrost.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it isnt getting cold, it isnt dehumidifying either. Lowering the temp, lowers the dew point and the moisture comes out of the air. A stock r12 orifice will work just fine for normal AC as well. The r134 or variable orifice are just better yet. I used a variable orifice and it does weird things..like cools better when you're parked idling then when driving 35mph. I've also frozen my windshield while driving with r134.

The filter/accumulator should be changed when you swap to r134. The dessicant bag inside may or may not be compatible with the new fluid. Also the stuff will go bad in normal use. One of the training seminars I went to, they went as far as to tell us that the filter should be changed every 2 years! LOL Like anyone would do that.

There's no need to change any o-rings that havent been disturbed. The old refrigerant oil has applied a coating to them that will block r134. A new r12 o-ring however will not stop r134 from leaking.

Vacuum need only be applied for 45min. Besides removing as much air as possible, the main reason for this is to boil any moisture out of the system. Moisture + refrigerant oil = acid.

I dont see where you applied vacuum. So you probably have too much air in the system for it to get cold. Either that or you have a blend door problem perhaps.

I've done lots of retrofits at work, but they have dried up now that the last r12 cars are so old.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a vacuum pulled on the system after installing the compressor from I bought from Bruce. Replaced the O-rings on the compressor, then pulled the vacuum - drew it down for 15 minutes and it held for 30 minutes longer prior to charging the system. It blew pretty cold in the shop yesterday, but doesn't seem to today. The compressor still cycles, that tells me the system has enough refrigerant for it to work.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh. Just because it cycles doesnt mean its still full. R134 has alot different pressure curve then r12 did. A system can be almost empty and still cycle the compressor fairly well. It will also not cool well if you're even a couple oz's shy.

I would say you have a leak that you missed.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to venture a guess to the same. It holds vacuum, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will hold pressure. It had to be evacuated and charged twice because one of the new fittings had a bad schrader valve and leaked as soon as the coupling was disconnected from the dryer on the first try.

By comparison, my V6 cycles on and stays on for a good 30-45 seconds or more before cycling off, this cycles on for a second or two before cycling off for about 5 or 10 seconds. I think most has leaked out under pressure.
BigDaddyVu
12sec Club

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its hard to put 4 cans of 134a without the vacuum. While i was reaching on it my ac project. There coming out with a new refrigerant that will be required on future automobile and appliances could not remember I think its it 134 organic.
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should only be putting 80% of the full R12 charge into a retrofit.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 cans = 3 lb of R134a refrigerant. Stock = ~2.4 lb of R12, 80% of that is ~1.9 lb R134a which mine was charged to. Making another visit to the shop to see where my leak is.
Roshambo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I thought someone else on here was running bags too. Laughing

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
90droptoproc

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya. me too Laughing

I think its just us though Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90droptoproc wrote:
ya. me too Laughing

I think its just us though Twisted Evil

What sorta setup are you running?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
90droptoproc

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

air over bags in the front, and 6"bags in the rear, two firestone compressors 10 switches plus keyless front up/down, rear up/down. single ten gallon tank

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

90droptoproc wrote:
air over bags in the front, and 6"bags in the rear, two firestone compressors 10 switches plus keyless front up/down, rear up/down. single ten gallon tank

Nice. I've got two five gallon tanks and two Viair 480c's, but Ive been running one tank for awhile because of a faulty pressure switch. I ordered two new switches and starting tomorrow I am gutting the trunk, rerouting the air lines and installing both tanks. After that I'll be all done with my suspension. Cool
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roshambo wrote:
Damn, I thought someone else on here was running bags too. Laughing

I use to in my s10. It rode damn nice!!!

20ft Longhorn Car Hauler
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: