Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

327 TPI
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with stupid

Making the runners bigger only solves one of the problems.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what did you decide to do with your 327. I am in the same boat. I just want to get mine a little more powerfull to last a few years, while being halfway reliable
simpson6716

1985 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jchaussee wrote:
So what did you decide to do with your 327. I am in the same boat. I just want to get mine a little more powerfull to last a few years, while being halfway reliable

I have decided to go old school. For the money I have it would be cheaper for me to go with a carb. Then later I can always go with FI if I feel the need.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that is what I decided to do. it scoots enough for now. What heads are you going with. I was thinking about getting some 416s off a HO 305. And I don't care what anybody says, the 327 has a definate sound to it
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the 327 definatly sounds different. I've always liked the sound of mine vs a 305/350.. Even my 396.

I think one thing we're all forgetting here. Even though the 327 is a capable revver, so is the 350. So a tpi 327 will work just like a tpi 350.. just a little less powerful. In the old days you'd make up for that with more cam/head/compression, which is exactly what the tpi won't like.

So a tpi 327 will work.. it will just be something between a 305 and 350 tpi, and you won't have the fun advantage of being able to rev it up.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet. You have a 327 in your third gen. What set up do you have on it as far as heads intake carb. I need to redo my whole top end. I have 882 heads, performer intake and q jet carb. Internals I have no clue what I have
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 327 is a 68 large journal motor. Bored 0.040 over, comp XE256 cam, 305 heads that have 1.94 valves and have been cnc'd to 64cc chambers, performer intake, with the computer controlled quadrajet on top, headers and a hooker cat back(no cat).

Best dyno run was several years ago 227hp/266tq and I cant remember the rpms.. Fairly low though because of the small cam. It was only 3hp shy of the L98 but alot less torque. Every year the dyno #s have been falling, but I think its because my valve springs are failing. The dyno graph starts to waiver at the rpm's last time it was on.

Just by memory I think my best 1/4 time was 14.1@98. I'm sure of the mph.. but think I may have been faster ET..

I've got 3.23 gears.. and seem to get my best mpg at 90mph LOL. One trip back from Kfalls I got 28mpg on one leg. My normal mileage averages out 21-22 though.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how are you running your computer carb? Was your car originally carbed. Mine was tpi. I think I am going to go with 416 heads. They are cheap enough but have small combustion chambers. I still also need to get headers. The stock exaust manifolts don't bolt to my heads all the way
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into that problem with the manifolds.. and thus got headers lol. Yes my car was CCC carbed originally. Everything is still there and functioning. For awhile I ran a non computer setup, but when I put the 700r4 back in, I put the system back so that it could control the torque convertor. A nice advantage to the CCC system is that it uses the same distributor as TPI. So I have a computer controlled ignition curve and knock sensor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: