Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4/17/10 T and T at SIR
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IROCDave

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I am dissapointed, especially with the first pass. The 2nd pass felt OK, but it still didnt pull as hard as it normally does on the street. The humungus heat sink better known as T-Ram intake is a liability when it is heat soaked, which it was after the BS of sitting in the staging lanes for an hour + before actually running it. The IAT's were 145 degrees on both passes. I think that also had something to do with the lackluster times. I had the scanner running on both passes while the check engine light came on. Just after letting off I checked to see what code it through and there were none stored.

I think it's still running lean. On the first pass I thought it heard ALOT if pinging but wasnt sure becuase of the helmet and leaving the radio on the track channel. The scanner didnt show any knock, not even on the 20+ start ups in the staging lanes. When it got out of 1st gear there was alot of radio interference coming through the speakers.
On the second pass I turned the stereo off and pulled quickly on the open headered 74 camaro so I was able to actually hear while in 2nd. Didnt hear pinging but it still feel as strong as it does on the street.

I need to get a wide band on it and also see what the duty cycle is on the injectors. I have a set of 30 lb SVO's but they are a PITA to get to seal up. It also needs a tune by someone that knows what they are doing with a MAF car with early 80 technology.

Anyhow, this aint over. It will run low twelves with this settup. I would just like to be able to make more intitial passes on the car before tossing out more money.
IROCDave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add that it ran a 13.20 on it's first pass with the old settup. The AFR 195 eliminators and larger cam should have made it quicker.

One other thing, this weekends runs were consistant 2.18 60' times. The last settup provided consistant 1.8x's. Same tires, 9 years between runs.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said your problems right there!

Tuning Tuning Tuning!

WB yes. Fuel Pressure Gauge connected at WOT!

Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries man. This is the normal BS that goes with getting a setup dialed in. That combo will get you in the 12's just a matter of tuning.

Cool

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
izcain
9sec Club

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have been plagued with the track blues! Happens to just about everyone once in a while. Sometimes it takes more then just a couple of shakedown runs to figure things out.

Sounds like that motor is down a bit on power though! Better get that A/F figured........

What tires are your running? and suspension? Those 60's are pretty bad!

Youll get her figured out. Wink

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
IROCDave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after the first pass I experienced the shakedown red hot. I've put about 600 miles on it since the H/C swap and havent had the check engine light come on. It also felt alot stronger on the street, but at the track it layed down. My brother has run me a couple of times before last weekend and my car actually pulled a smidge going into drive. He ran a 12.9 out of the box. Not sure what happened to my car but it was missing about 75HP.

I would have liked to have made several more passes, but PR decided that the sportsman class didnt matter. The 60' times should have been in the 1.8s, spinning wasnt an issue but I didnt load the convertor or mat it off the line either. I did notice that the collector hit the floor on the second launch, but the scanner didnt show any knock retard. I dont trust the scanner or the computer anylonger though.

If a CEL comes on, the car isnt shut off after the issue registers in the computer, the scanner should be able to pull the code. It wouldnt. Anyhow, I need to find some one to tune the thing on a dyno. It was faster with subpar trick flows, bad valve springs and a smaller cam.

As far as suspension, it has - ten year old GoodYear GSC's 245/50/16's, Hotchkiss LCA's and panhard bar, Koni shocks / struts, Spohn weld in subframe connectors and Eibach springs. Ten years ago this suspension provided several 1.8 60' times. I would understand the crappy 60' times if it was spinning, but it didnt. It also has a 2800rpm stall convertor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Event Calendar All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: