Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

had to get tires for my car and I have a question ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jules91Z28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: had to get tires for my car and I have a question ?? Reply with quote

les schwab tried to get me to sype the tires , not sure if thats how it was spelled.. Is this a sales gimick or should I go back and have them do it , after spending almost 600 was thinking another 50 for that I wasnt sure if it was worth it since I had the same tires before they offerd this service. Thanks for any advise
PonchoTA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a technique of cutting the tread to give you better grip in the snow without having to get studs.

It is useless in my opinion as all you really need is to know how to drive well (and know when NOT to drive!)

P.

Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the tires on my old Jimmy Syped and I swear I got worse traction on damp pavement! DO NOT DO IT! The tires come from the factory just fine!
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think its just a gimmick. i wouldnt do it either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
85 T/A WS6

1985 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I siped the tires on my Yukon. The process is not for offroad only however, but I do agree with Ponch that you cant substitute good tires for good driving.

Read these 2 reviews and draw your own conclusions:

http://www.can4x4.com/articles/siping.html

http://affordable-tire.com/customer/pages.php?pageid=10

My tires were siped brand new so I cant compare using a before and after scenario. After reading the tech data it does make sense and I can see why physically it works.

1985 Trans Am Recaro Option (AS5)
67,000 miles 5.0 TPI Hi Flow MAF
TPI Airfoil w/Bypass Flowmaster WS6 (.92g)
3:27 Borg Warner Posi K&N Filtration
Jules91Z28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the replies , I dont drive in snow at all ,it just doesnt stick around here long enough for me to worry about driving in it. And I tested out the tires today in the rain and get great traction so I am not going to do it , I was just worried had never heard of it and didnt want to fall for a gimick like special air that makes them last longer or somthing... and being a girl fall for something stupid lol thanks again ... jules
Flyte risk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll buck the trend here.

In my personal and professional experience siping the tires works. However only for certain road conditions and certain tread patterns.

I won't get technical here so the basic rundown is this:
For an off-road, lug style tread design it's a waste of money. No benifit at all unless your hauling heavy loads long distances in hot weather. For a street or performance style pattern siping will improve wet traction some, not much. Where it will show is if you encounter ice. Driving on ice flat sucks and every advantage you can get to be able to stop as well as accelerate is worth something. I'm more then just convinced that siping works, and works well on icey roads.

The part you have to answer is how often do you encounter icey roads and is the $50 worth whatever percieved insurance you get?

FWIW, here in Portland I don't sipe. When I lived in an area that got close to 4' of snow a year I had it done.
Jules91Z28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flyte risk wrote:
OK, I'll buck the trend here.

In my personal and professional experience siping the tires works. However only for certain road conditions and certain tread patterns.

I won't get technical here so the basic rundown is this:
For an off-road, lug style tread design it's a waste of money. No benifit at all unless your hauling heavy loads long distances in hot weather. For a street or performance style pattern siping will improve wet traction some, not much. Where it will show is if you encounter ice. Driving on ice flat sucks and every advantage you can get to be able to stop as well as accelerate is worth something. I'm more then just convinced that siping works, and works well on icey roads.

The part you have to answer is how often do you encounter icey roads and is the $50 worth whatever percieved insurance you get?

FWIW, here in Portland I don't sipe. When I lived in an area that got close to 4' of snow a year I had it done.

thanks I live near seattle , so more wet then anything thanks
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but, I agree with Mike. Ice is where the siping works well. After driving 50 miles to work on the ice this morning I wish I had mine siped. Laughing

Can always tell how slick it is by the number of cars in the ditch on the 15 miles stretch of road between here and my parants house. 5 this morning means pretty darn slick. Very Happy
Glenn91L98GTA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Kamloops, snow and ice is common. We have a fair amount right now and all the roads are covered in snow and ice. A good set of ice radials are the best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: