Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mystery of life

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Mystery of life Reply with quote

I've always wondered why extension cords can tangle themselves, but not untangle. Can you in your infinite wisdom explain this to me?

Signed
Tangled

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Tangled,

You know, you really could give me something more to work with here. There just isn't anything funny to say about extension cords.

When you coil up a cord it will tangle if the coils intertwine or don't come off the bundle in exactly the reverse order they went on the bundle. I have found that the problem worsens when using cheap extension cords because cheap cords are made from materials that resist taking a new shape. The insulation isn't very flexible and the cord doesn't have the high strand count wire found in more expensive cords. Coiling up a cheap cord is like trying to coil up used bailing wire that is all crooked and twisted. And the more you use the cord the more twisted and crooked it becomes. Buying high quality cord makes the job much easier because the cord will lay out well and be easier to manage.

If you don't want the cord to tangle then you need to take a different approach then just looping it around your arm. You can buy winding devices that layer the cord. However, this only works if you don't need to have portability. If you need to have a more portable solution then you can just lay the cord in neat circles inside a 5 gallon bucket that has a nice carrying handle. Make a hole near the bottom of the bucket where the wall plug can be fished out. Place the bucket by the wall socket, plug it in, and then pull cord from the top of the bucket to reach your work area. If you want to look more sophisticated then you can learn to make daisy chain loops as described in the following link http://www.rd.com/80119/article80119.html

QwkBert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Dear Lama All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: