Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tranny problem...help quick!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miamivice

1982 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: tranny problem...help quick! Reply with quote

alright, well i got home and put the car in the garage. i put it in reverse and now it wont get OUT of reverse (700r4), cant even put the car in park. the shifter in the car moves up and down, and i can hear it click in the diffrent positions but it still stays in reverse.

any of ya'll have an idea of the problem? i was thinking it could be the shifter cable or something but i dont know.

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken or otherwise disconnected shifter cable. Not hard to fix at all.
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happend to me. Broken shift cable.

There is a little crommet down that connect the shifter to the tranny, that probably wore off.

1982 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, well i got sqeezed myself under there to try and take a look. it seems that there is a piece which got disconnected, cause i checked on the 82 and that is bolted into place to the drivers side of the trans (200c on that one). and i found a single bolt on the ground w/ tranny fluid all over it. did that just come lose? do i just bolt the thing back in?
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shifter cable should be held to the transmission by a bracket which has two holes, which two bolts go through. If one bolt is off/missing... when you move the shifter, it will just pivot and not move the shift lever on the trans itself.
miamivice

1982 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
The shifter cable should be held to the transmission by a bracket which has two holes, which two bolts go through. If one bolt is off/missing... when you move the shifter, it will just pivot and not move the shift lever on the trans itself.

yup that is what happened....it was a pain to get the bolts back in but i got em, they both fell out at the same time Shocked . what would cause this? everytime i put the car into drive the tranny jerks (which is another thing i dont understand why.....but was told it is common), could that be enough to make the bolts lose over time?

thank you sirs

Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miamivice wrote:
Twilightoptics wrote:

yup that is what happened....it was a pain to get the bolts back in but i got em, they both fell out at the same time Shocked . what would cause this? everytime i put the car into drive the tranny jerks (which is another thing i dont understand why.....but was told it is common), could that be enough to make the bolts lose over time?

thank you sirs

Yep, and maybe they weren't tight enough the last time the trans was serviced..... tricky if you over tighten trans pan bolts, you can warp the gasket and it wont seal well, not tight enough and they fall out!

The car jerks because when you put the shifter in gear, the engine takes up all the slack or lash in the drivetrain.... think about any slack in the trans itself from the torque converter, innards, u-joints, rear end gears, etc. ALSO you are putting drag on the engine, because the engine is moving, and you aren't. In laymans terms anyways.

Easy fixes are good! :thumbsup:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: