Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need help making descion ***update***
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

make care faster or fix body dmg and frame???
beef up my super weak 350
71%
 71%  [ 15 ]
or fix her up and make her look fast and sexy
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 21

Outlaw28

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: need help making descion ***update*** Reply with quote

***OLD THOUGHTS***
ok so i got $1300 budget...

i can either fix all the body dmg and get car looking good...under budget...but was thinking about learning and doing it myself this spring/summer and saving money....

or

i could get my engine built up...its extremely mild

lot of magazines and ppl have tested this motor and it does not perform as good as its advertised...more like 220hp and 320tq

its the gm goodwrench 35/290hp motor
Block Type: Cast iron with 4-bolt main caps
Bore x stroke (in): 4.00 x 3.48
Camshaft duration (@.050 in): 222 degree intake / 222 degree exhaust
Camshaft lift (in): .450 intake / .460 exhaust
Camshaft Part Number: 3896962
Camshaft type: Hydraulic flat tappet
Compression ratio: 8.5:1
Connecting Rod Part Number: 10108688
Connecting rods Type: Powdered metal steel
Crankshaft Part Number: 93426651
Crankshaft Type: Nodular iron
Cylinder head Part Number: 93438648
Cylinder head Type: Iron; 76 cc chambers
Displacement (cu in): 350
Engine type: Chevy small-block V-8
Ignition timing: 34 degree total BTDC
Maximum rpm: 5100
Piston Part Number: 12514101
Pistons Type: Cast aluminum
Recommended fuel: 87 octane
Rocker arm ratio: 1.5:1
Rocker arms Part Number: 10089648
Rocker arms Type: Stamped steel
Valve size (in): 1.94 intake / 1.50 exhaust

so i was thinking maybe a head and cam upgrade...been looking at the scoggin dickey vortec head upgrade kit that comes with vortec heads modified to accept up to .525" lift with gaskets and a edelbrock rpm intake...

or i could go a standard head maybe aluminum

now i will state at the moment this is a daily driver...my goal is 400hp at the crank...probably wont get that with just heads and cam with stock exhaust manifolds...but braking into the 300hp range would be nice and acceptable at my current needs for this car...so lets say maybe 350hp being goal...since its mostly a street driving car...id figured id want more of the power in the low to mid range...i currently have this money...and trying to figure out what route to go...i do have another option i could spend the money on...and thats build a new computer and maybe get the frame straighten since it is not 100% straight...it drives fine but does pull the right a lil...and its not the alignment the frame has been pushed back about an inch maybe lil more under passenger seat near transmission by previous owner...

basically what im trying to decide is...fix car or make faster lol...now if its make faster now or fix car later im fine with that...but i need help on deciding parts...i understand some of the basics with cams...but need help picking the right one...i was thinking maybe the 268h energy extreme comps cam or the 284...

*****NEW THOUGHTS*****

going to put money into the motor...this summer comes around i will either pick up another camaro to swap motor and trans into or fix the body dmg on mine..myself...

been trying to figure out what heads to go with...

was thinking about getting either a set of trick flows or brodix...but still have scoggin dickeys vortecs in mind and edelbrocks e-techs in mind...im wanting to pick up a set of heads in the 62-65cc range to bump compression up....and was thinking intake runners 170-195 to keep torque in the low to mid range...

some of them push my budget and dont really allow me to get anything else...and some others leave me some room...its looking like im going to be keeping stock exhaust manifolds for the time being will get those later...i really want a set that are ceramic coated...and thats really brings the price up...im not to worried about intake manifolds...i can pick one up cheap if its used...plus they dont cost to much...so those two items i will get after cam head upgrade...my goal for motor is 350-425hp at the crank...of course i know im not going to get this on head and cam alone the induction system on car now is really going to hurt the head and cam that i will be getting until i get headers and a new intake which i prolly will go with a edelbrock rpm performer intake...

another option which i havnt completely ruled out but not likely to consider is...a kit summit sales...that comes with stock gmpp vortec heads intake gaskets and all the studs bolts etc to install...for a decent price...and upgrading the springs on the vortecs with a set of comp cams beehive springs...if i did this swap id then be able to pick up the cam and maybe a cheap but decent set of rockers to top it off...

i currently have a stock 10bolt open rear with upgraded 4.11 gears...be nice to put a posi in there...but thats 500 bucks...if i did that...then i might as well spend the rest of my budget money and pick up some headers...but that wont really make the car faster...

sometimes i hate having so many options...or not enough money to do exactly what i want...makes it difficult to make a descion

Last edited by Outlaw28 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It already looks pretty decent (from your sig pic) so I'd beef the engine. Good luck whatever you end up doing! Cool
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I pick, I would need to know how you use the car, where you want to go with the car, etc.

w/o any info on your use, IMO, if the motor is working and gets decent mpg. Leave it alone for now.

20ft Longhorn Car Hauler
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Compression ratio: 8.5:1

Quote:
Cylinder head Type: Iron; 76 cc chambers

Que? Squint

Looks suspiciously like a truck motor.

Although, with those specs you could probably pick up a nice used ProCharger. You've got cast pistons though...
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the basic cheapo replacement 350 motor. The 290 rating is net flywheel, not rear wheel power.

Bout the only good thing is it should be roller. Otherwise to build power, you need pistons, at very least some 64cc heads that you can use again later on.

You're not going to be able to do much with $1300. Maybe up the power from 220 to 250 if you're lucky. If you do the motor, get vortec heads and a modest aggressive ramped cam with NO overlap to build some cylinder pressure back up. And by "no" I mean less than the usual long duration tight LSA cam.

I'm thinking a Comp 256 or 262 on a 114. Or better yet, I'd find a used LT1 cam. That things on like a 117 or 118 LSA.

Outlaw28

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a truck replacement motor....to be 100% honest i dont know if the internals are what it says there..i didnt put the motor in car bought it...but ive check the block number and it matches the truck replacement gm goodwrench 350...

i dont drive far to get anywhere maybe 30min top on a normal drive...not to concerned about gas mileage but i dont want it god awful...

ive heard ppl running stock bottom end in this motor and getting 400hp with no problems...this is my budget and its what i got to work with...i refuse to nos...would love to supercharger or turbo but not with cast internals...its not a roller cam...its a hydro flat tap

RSFreak...passenger side is messed up...gfxs need repaired and painted a some quarter panel st8ing and repaint...
305 302eater

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me and the car ran good the way it is, I would make the car look good again. Then save and put a motor together on the side. That way you know whats in there and build it for what you want. At least thats what I would do if I were to buy another third gen. The only way I would do anything to that motor is if you were get some heads and a cam that complement each other. Would spend my money on some really good heads. Thats just me.
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortec heads modded for more lift, XE274 cam, RPM Air-Gap intake.

I have ran this for 6 years now minus the heads, I have Pro Topline 200cc heads. I would definately go with Vortecs if I was doing it again.

300 - 320 rwhp with great low end power. I can climb any mountain grade around here at 60 mph in 5th gear and still be able to pull from 2000 rpm. Also peaks around 5500 rpm which will let you run the stock bottom end.
I also ran this same combo through the log manifolds and stock 2.25" exhuast. Went low 14's if I recall correctly, Headers and a good 3" catback shaved another second off that later, but it still ran hard with the horrible exhuast.

Gonna have to do some bargin shopping for valvetrain though, by the time it was all said and done I have almost as much money in valvetrain as I paid for my heads brand new.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll join the bandwagon and say that if you want the best bang for your buck in heads, Vortec's are the way to go.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok after talking with my uncle today...im considering either two things now....

putting money into motor...and getting heads and cam

or trying to find a cheap donor car that has straight body and hopefully good paint to transfer stuff over...

i am going to try and take it to a shop this week and get a quote on how much they want to fix frame...to see if its even worth it or not...i did find a few decent camaros on craigslist but they are really pushing my budget...

reason im considering a donor car now...is due to fact i know that the frame being twisted and not being able to properly align the front end is wearing out the front suspension extremely fast...and wear parts oddly...it would just be cheaper for me to find another car and part this one out...so i think i ganna try to sell some junk maybe come up with more money to fund this project...i got some decent taillights i can sell ill have to clean them up and get pics...and i got a few other parts i can prolly sell..and some other junk like a sony home theater system...
Outlaw28

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could go with these heads and still have enough for a cam and lifter kit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-30400002/

or i could go with the vortec head kit from scoggin dickey that comes with intake gaskets and hardware for install...few other heads i got in mind as well if i choose to go this route
305 302eater

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at some afr's when I was thinking of building my Iroc. Maybe look there. But they are expensive.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a set of 416s that are ported, stainless valves, new springs, built for higher lift. Will outflow the vortecs.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the choice is between looking good or going fast, then going fast is always more fun.
Outlaw28

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afrs cost to much...
305 302eater

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why I said they are expensive. But in my eyes worth it in the long run.
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outlaw28 wrote:
i could go with these heads and still have enough for a cam and lifter kit

or i could go with the vortec head kit from scoggin dickey that comes with intake gaskets and hardware for install...few other heads i got in mind as well if i choose to go this route

I got a pair of vortec's from SD. Didn't get the kit though. I got VERY lucky when I ordered them. Was a free shipping sale, and as it turns out they were out of the ones I wanted, but they substituted one with stainless swirl polished valves, upgraded springs (which I have no use for, have beehive's to put on them) and they came with screw in studs also. Very Happy

Nice looking set of heads for the $$$ I paid. But the TPI manifold did set me back around 4 benji's. Non TPI intakes are much cheaper, but I just love how my TPI cars run for me.

Can't wait to get the new motor together and see how she runs. I'm hoping for about 300 on the ground.

www.t5cablespeedometer.com
www.t56cablespeedometer.com

Ronald Reagan: "Most of us wonder if our lives made any difference. Marines don't have that problem."
kutison

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id rather have a beat up sleeper then a slightly more aerodynamic clunker...you win more races that way...unless i'm driving.

You'd have a beat up clunker when I brought her back. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Outlaw28

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heads im considering

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-5089/ im aware these are basically vortecs...but in aluminum with bigger valves

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BRO-1021004/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PAR-2180/
these ive heard both good and bad things...not really sure i want to risk my chances on a Chinese made head

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DRT-10121111/
im aware that the darts and worlds are iron...but proven good heads

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CMB-08-0034/?image=large
this is a kit summit just released..its stock gmpp vortecs though...but i could install comp cams beehive springs on them for more lift without mods...scoggin-dicky has a few similar kits and im waiting for an email back from them giving me more detail about heads cuz there site doesnt not tell you much..but the scoggin dicky ones can accept up to .525" lift...
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy Paul's heads

Lil Angel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: