Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ok, I'm at a loss here, need fresh eyes to look at this.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now try working on these type problems everyday. Wonder why i'm goin gray allready! Glad you found it.
Wonder if thats one of the ecm grounds. I think with the timing connector disconnected theres a basic timing program built into the module. Just a basic advance vs rpm. Something i've seen before but doesnt make sense from how they tell you it works.
Thats one of those type problems where the books will have you checking resistance and voltage drops on every pin going to the ecm, then replacing ecm with known good. Usually its easier/quicker to skip to the ecm. Unless its a mitsu or something with those $1k ecms.
You think the timing #s listed on the Xray vs actual are confusing. When I finally scrapped my CCC system, the ecm was reading different #s then what the actual sensors read. In other words, your xray would read lean, yet when you read voltage at the O2 it was actually rich. There are certain modes too where the ecm will insert sensor values due to some unknown problem. Trick is the ecm doesnt tell you that its not a real value.
alloy
T56 Elitist

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can imagine doing this everyday. I had a guy in from a shop today we sell to that worked with a neighboring shop on an 89 GTA last year. They had it for 4 months and never found the problem. They finally parted the car out he said. Too bad the owner wasn't a crewbie Wink Someone here would have helped him out somehow.

I must admit I was getting frustrated with my car, but I never even considered walking away from it. Shooting it yes, but never walking away Very Happy

Edit: Forgot to mention I got a code 36 on the way to work today, MAF burnoff. I think all that backfiring may have hurt the MAF sensor Sad

Last edited by alloy on Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alloy wrote:
Yes, I can imagine doing this everyday. I had a guy in from a shop today we sell to that worked with a neighboring shop on an 89 GTA last year. They had it for 4 months and never found the problem. They finally parted the car out he said. Too bad the owner wasn't a crewbie Wink Someone here would have helped him out somehow.

I must admit I was getting frustrated with my car, but I never even considered walking away from it. Shooting it yes, but never walking away Very Happy

It's the determination that builds the right stuff. I kicked mine once, and only once. Since then I've been much more determined to weed out the frustration and make it work, damnit!
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Paul. I love my car and have had it for many years and had some great times in it. I just can't imaging giving it up after owning it for 14 years. But there are so many things that cause a TPI car to miss/stumble it's hard to know where to start. But I got lucky I guess. Or was I just to damn stubborn to know when I was licked Razz
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I keep getting the code 36, so guess my maf is hurt from the backfiring. Not sure what will happen if I keep runnig it with he burnoff problem.

Paul, you got a good used MAf sensor you want to sell?
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,
I have a spare MAF that I think is good. You are welcome to try it if you like.

-Schultzy

12.73 @ 109.39, 1.793 60 \ 11.794 @ 121.16, 1.62 60 (old combo)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry dan, I don't. My maf was attached to the snorkel and leaning against the wall at my old place, and the X knocked it over and it cracked the snorkel housing and the maf broke. It wouldn't send power right so I chucked it.
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Paul. I would have rather given you the money than Auto Zone any day. I'm sure you could have found a good use for some extra $$$$$ Wink What do I owe you for the computer? And by the way, that computer is a good unit. There is no difference in the way the car runs between my computer and the one you dropped off. And they both show a code 36.

Mike, yes I'd love to give that a try. From all the back firing my car did, I'm sure it's not a connection or anything like that . I had no MAF troubles before the backfires, so probably 99.9% chance it blew the MAF wires out.

But even if I have to buy a new MAF, I'm still pretty dang happy to have my car back and running Very Happy
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alloy wrote:
No problem Paul. I would have rather given you the money than Auto Zone any day. I'm sure you could have found a good use for some extra $$$$$ Wink What do I owe you for the computer? And by the way, that computer is a good unit. There is no difference in the way the car runs between my computer and the one you dropped off. And they both show a code 36.

Mike, yes I'd love to give that a try. From all the back firing my car did, I'm sure it's not a connection or anything like that . I had no MAF troubles before the backfires, so probably 99.9% chance it blew the MAF wires out.

But even if I have to buy a new MAF, I'm still pretty dang happy to have my car back and running Very Happy

You don't owe me anything for the computer, it was no problem to run it up to you and let you try it dude. We'll have to set up a time I can come pick it up.

Good to know its good, nice to have spare parts around.
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll put in my box at work. I'm off today and tomorrow though.

But you are right, we now know that it is a good spare computer that we can use for trouble shooting if anyone else has probs.
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can wait a few days then I can give it to Paul and you guys can swap when he picks up the computer. If not you are free to come down and pick it up anytime. Just give me a call and make sure I will be there.

Cheers!

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be fine. I'm not sure how long I can drive the car this way, but if you don't think you can meet up with Paul, I can issue a UPS call tag and have the part picked up from you at my expense.
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am sure that we will be seeing each other Thurs/Fri unless something else goes wrong. I would be happy to run it up to you in the next few days if 1) it's not raining (bike) or 2) the wife unit is not using the truck. Why don't you PM me your phone number and we can talk tomorrow. If that is all that is keeping you from a good running car I hate to delay.

-Schultzy
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I work evenings so I hate to have you just come up and drop the part off where I work and not be able to talk if I'm busy. So if you and Paul meet up that would be fine, or as I said I can have UPS pick the part up at whetever address it's at, your home or work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: