Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone here ever swap out the V6 for an V8?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdoyle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Anyone here ever swap out the V6 for an V8? Reply with quote

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone on here has ever done it? I've seen a few on thirdgen.org that have done. But thought I would check with a forum a little more local, and see any members have done it.

I'm restoring my 84, and would like to put a 350 in it. Looks like I pretty much need to swap out everything to do this tho. Figures.

Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I was considering swapping out the 2.8 in my 87 for a while. I did a lot of research on it, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I just might know the answer... Wink

It always used to annoy me when everybody always said "Just get a V8 car." I then bought an 84 Z28 with no motor to drop a 350 in, and I can see how they were probably right on the whole easier thing.

Either way, if you have the money, it's not too hard. Lotsa little parts you're gonna hafta buy that will cost way more than you think they should. Laughing

And this is just talking about an easy carbureted 350 swap, if you're going FI, I'm out. I'm a carb guy myself. Very Happy

Haven't seen you around before, welcome to the crew! Whatever you choose to do, have some fun doing it! That's whats important. Burnout
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome! Hope you can find the info you need here. Lots of friendly knowlegable guys here.
Alphius is right, unless you have done a lot to your V6 car or it has lots of sentamental value, you may look into one that already had a v8. Swaping a 350 into a 305 car is WAY easier than a V6 car. Good luck with whatever route you choose.

~JAKE

Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

other then the engine and the stuff atched to it (computer/wire harness) you will need from a v8 car:

fuel lines from rear of tank, they pop out on the other side. these are not that hard with the engine out.

engine mounts, have to remove the springs and a-arms to do this. and you might as well buy new.

brake lines. the hardline that goes to the front brakes will need to be replaced with one from an 8cyl car or rebent, the v6 one sits right where your v8 engine mounts mount.

radiator, the v8 one is bigger, and the outlets are in different locations.

air conditioning lines if you are keeping ac. this means the system will have to be evacuated and recharged.

depending on what v8 aplication you are going with, the throttle cable may need replacing. these are about 35$ new from GM.

exhaust. your manifolds are clearly not compatable. but unbenkownst to some, but knownst to us, the y-pipes are also different. might as well buy headers and new y-pipe.

springs. your v6 springs will not like an extra 300 lbs sitting on them. buy new springs or hit that yards and hunt down some ws6 springs. (any v8 springs will work, but come on... WS6!)

if your v6 car is a MPFI car (1985+) then your fuel pump should be fine fro TPI of other EFI inductions. i do not k now how a carbed setup would react to 40 PSI of fuel pressure... so you may need to switch your in tank sending unit out with a carbed one. (or vice versa if you have a carbed six and are going TPI/EFI vCool

i am sure there is more, but this is all i can think of.

Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mechanical fuel pumps (ie carbed applications won't respond well to 40psi.)They typically run about 6-10psi depending on engine speed, volume, output..etc..

I think someone makes a 2 way pressure valve if you go from pressurized fuel injection (40psi) to carb (6-10psi.) Can't remember much more than that.

sorry I'm not more help...

Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like being restricted like that would screw up your 40psi pump prety quick.
cdoyle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input guys!

What I'm thinking of doing is finding a beat up 91/92 V8, and using it to get most the parts from. Think I'll just go with a carb since that just seems so much easier then trying to get a FI working.

I don't think I ever posted pics of my 84 here before, but it's the first car I ever bought. So finally decided to restore it, and make it look nice again. Been doing a lot too it over the past year, here are some pics.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2034/1

Once I get this engine problem figured out, and the car painted. I plan on putting a pretty nice audio system in it. Maybe compete a little with it.

Also have some ideas for the exterior, (adding a true HID system, converting all the exterior lights to LED). Should look pretty nice when it's done, and I'm pretty sure nobody has done any of this before (at least around here)

aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. You've got quite a bit of work into that car man. Like that blue color to, not very many cars came with it.

BTW, what style and year are those door panels?
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking car.

Welcome to the Crew.

-Schultzy

12.73 @ 109.39, 1.793 60 \ 11.794 @ 121.16, 1.62 60 (old combo)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cdoyle:

First off, welcome to the crew! I know you've been lurking around the site for some time, but this is the first time I remember you posting.

I'm not 100% on this, but I think the only roller cam V8 in an F body to have the fuel pump pushrod in the block was the 86-87 LG4 305. I think the camshafts all have the lobe in both TBI and TPI 305's and 350's, just no pushrod.

i'm sure if this is incorrect, someone can straighten me out. Just something to consider if you go shopping for a 91-92 TBI or TPI 305 or 350.

Bam-Ba-Lam

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quasi-Traction wrote:
Cdoyle:
I'm not 100% on this, but I think the only roller cam V8 in an F body to have the fuel pump pushrod in the block was the 86-87 LG4 305. I think the camshafts all have the lobe in both TBI and TPI 305's and 350's, just no pushrod.

i'm sure if this is incorrect, someone can straighten me out. Just something to consider if you go shopping for a 91-92 TBI or TPI 305 or 350.

not sure what ones had the push rod or not, but they do all have a lobe on the cam. Its an easy swap to do.

BTW I LOVE what you are doing with your car!!! I have done most of the same things to mine over the last year. Check out my car domain sometime. (just click on my sig pic)

~JAKE

cdoyle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, ya I've been doing a bunch to the car over the past year. I'm really happy with how the interior turned out.

I'm thinking of just going carbed for the swap, since I think that would be easier. Plus I could avoid having to try and get the computer and all that working too.
The only reason I was thinking of looking for a 91/92 is I still need some 91/92 pieces to get the car finished. Still need to get that front chin, and a few other interior items. So just thought might as well try and find a parts car in that year. Then take that engine, and put a carb on it.

Engines are not my thing, so I'm going to try and find someone who can do the swap for me. If my plan sounds like bad idea, let me know!! (lol)

cdoyle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
Wow. You've got quite a bit of work into that car man. Like that blue color to, not very many cars came with it.

BTW, what style and year are those door panels?

Those are the standard door panels out of a 91/92 style I believe.
I really like them because the carpet area makes it perfect for the door pods I'm planning on building. Going to remove the carpet, and glass in some pods for 6.5's, and then vinyl it to match the upper vinyl.

I'm hoping to make it look like it came from the factory with it that way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: